I AM STARVING!!!!!

Options
Right now I live a sedentary lifestyle with no exercise due to just having a baby 5 weeks ago so I am set to consume 1200 cals/day. I am starving!!! I am eating plenty of fiber and protein and drinking a decent amount of water....but I am starving!!!! I don't want to go too over my calories and I dont want to order a pizza either - HELP!!! Anyone else starving!?!?! What can I do to change that?!

Replies

• anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding you need to up your calories by at least 500!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself if you have only had a baby 5 weeks ago. 1200 cals is far too little. Your body needs to heal.
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Not anymore - I wasn't able to produce enough and baby was losing too much weight so with doctors recommendation we switched him to formula.
  • militarywitch
    Options
    You should not be cutting calories--your body is in healing mode...and if you are breastfeeding you are straving your body and could be harming the baby as well because your breast milk will be depleted....
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Don't starve yourself if you have only had a baby 5 weeks ago. 1200 cals is far too little. Your body needs to heal.

That's what I was thinking - I went from eating for two to eating for a 12 year old! lol
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Are you sure youre really hungry? How's your fat intake (that's the major satiety factor you didn't mention)? How much protein are we talking? Are you doing the default or 40/30/30? How about simple carb intake? Consider opening your diary so you can get better tips based on what you're actually eating.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding you need to up your calories by at least 500!!!

Definitely! And even if you're not, right now I would do more than 1200. Have you set your loss goal to more than 1 lb a week? I wouldn't do that just yet :) You need extra calories to recuperate. Congratulations by the way!!
  • fithappymom
    Options
    Even when I'm not active 1200 cals doesn't cut it for me. Listen to your body add an extra meal if needed. Just make it healthy. I like to finish my day with a protein shake. Keeps me full for those late night munchies. Plus keeps my metabolism going!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the previous posts--eat more if you are truly hungry. Also, how long have you been doing 1200 calories? I know I felt like I was starving for the 1st week or 2, but now I've gotten used to it. Also, look at what you are eating--high protein with less refined carbs and some "good" fats will satiate you more than refined sugars.

If you want more advice, make your food diary public so we can look at what you are eating and help you even more.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Are you sure youre really hungry? How's your fat intake (that's the major satiety factor you didn't mention)? How much protein are we talking? Are you doing the default or 40/30/30? How about simple carb intake? Consider opening your diary so you can get better tips based on what you're actually eating.

I just made my food diary public - please don't judge me too harshly!!! lol
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough calories. Your body is still trying to recover. Also I eat over 100g of protein a day and that has helped curb my hunger. My goal is 30-35g per meal.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

The default is actually 55C/30F/15P. :wink:
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you need to consume more calories. Your body has been accustomed to having more calories too, you might want to start by just cutting down your meals at first, and making "better" choices if possible from your menu prior to giving birth.

I too had a difficult time with reducing the amount of calories, but I found if I started with putting what I was used to having on my plate, and then putting back a couple of bites, it made it much easier to make that transition.

I wish you the best of luck, and congrats on the addition to your family

edit: you might want to make your food diary public so we can see how your numbers are
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you've got your weekly weight loss set to over 1 lb/week, your calories will be restricted more than if you were wanting to lose 1 lb/week. Since you're a BRAND NEW MOMMY (congrats!!!) you could consider the 1 lb/week option and that may give you more cals? And if you're breastfeeding, for sure add 500 more/day!!!

I had my weight loss set to 2 lbs/week and it only gave me 1200 cals, so I changed it to 1 lb and it upped my calories to 1430, which I'm finding much easier to stick with.

AND remember - even if you go for a walk with your little one around the block, put that down and you'll get those calories!!!

GOOD LUCK :)
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I am not breastfeeding. I have my weightloss set to 2lbs/week. My diary is public now - so please, only constructive suggestions! lol I have fallen off a few times but really trying to stick to it now. Thanks everyone!
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Definitely up your calories! You've got enough on your plate already, don't stress yourself out, just make sensible choices. Your body is recovering from an insane amount of stress and change, let it do its thing. Just don't go overboard, I mean, pizza + pepsi vs a chicken wrap on a whole wheat tortilla, with lots of veggies + water, it's just choices like that, that get your body back to where it was before you had your beautiful baby. I had two kids within two years, and I know what the pressure is like, to feel like you have to look like friggin' Heidi Klum 2 minutes after you have a baby.

Good luck, and stay positive!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You're not eating nearly enough.

If you are breastfeeding, every day you should add 500 calories for breastfeeding (I think this is under exercise). That will bring you up over 1700 per day, as MFP adds your exercise calories to your daily calorie goal.

Your sodium is pretty scary, but that's becasuse of all the processed food. If there is any way you can cut back on the processed foods (might be difficult if you are on bedrest), that would be a good idea.

You aren't tracking protein, but it doesn't appear that you are getting enough. You should be aiming for AT LEAST half your body weight in protein grams per day.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Definitely up your calories! You've got enough on your plate already, don't stress yourself out, just make sensible choices. Your body is recovering from an insane amount of stress and change, let it do its thing. Just don't go overboard, I mean, pizza + pepsi vs a chicken wrap on a whole wheat tortilla, with lots of veggies + water, it's just choices like that, that get your body back to where it was before you had your beautiful baby. I had two kids within two years, and I know what the pressure is like, to feel like you have to look like friggin' Heidi Klum 2 minutes after you have a baby.

Good luck, and stay positive!

Thank you! I have about 5 months to lose 20lbs or else I am considered out of standards in the military which will adversely affect my career. I am feeling pressured to lose the weight or risk a black mark on my record.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    lol people should read your posts & others before replying. anyway, try increasing your protein & fiber more during the day, you said you're getting a decent amount, but for whatever reason MFP keeps those values low on here, when they could be much higher & maybe try walking or something low impact to add in some extra calories you can eat at the end of the day. also water, water, water! raw veggies are filling & yummy or try freezing seedless grapes, they taste like sorbet :o) delicious! good luck & congrats!
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    You're not eating nearly enough.

If you are breastfeeding, every day you should add 500 calories for breastfeeding (I think this is under exercise). That will bring you up over 1700 per day, as MFP adds your exercise calories to your daily calorie goal.

Your sodium is pretty scary, but that's becasuse of all the processed food. If there is any way you can cut back on the processed foods (might be difficult if you are on bedrest), that would be a good idea.

You aren't tracking protein, but it doesn't appear that you are getting enough. You should be aiming for AT LEAST half your body weight in protein grams per day.

I know my sodium is up there too - I try not to eat alot of processed foods but it is hard! I just changed my settings so you can see my protein. Thank you!