Calories cooked out of food?

2004Jessica
2004Jessica Posts: 113
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Let's say I by a frozen, raw hamburger patty. The calories on the package say the patty has 300 calories. I cook the patty. There is juice all over the pan coming from the patty. I don't intend to drink the juice that ran off the patty, and I throw the juice out. Does the cooked hamburger patty still have 300 calories in it? Or do the food companies mean that the food WILL HAVE so many calories AFTER cooked? I have always wondered. Everyone here is very intelligent and I'm sure I will find the answer. Thank you! :glasses:

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    I would guess that unless the package also has "as prepared" numbers, then they mean "as packaged"/raw.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    I would agree with the poster above and add that most of the stuff that's coming off will be water. So your not going to lose that many calories off the total.
  • Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    If you look at the calorie king book they usually give you a prepared calorie count that is less then the raw calorie count. The idea is that you cook some of the fat out of the meat.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    but, much of the juice is just water. Undoubtedly some fat, but mostly water. Not worth worrying about in my mind.
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    That makes sense. Thank you all! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.