This is gonna sound really bad

Options
...but, would taking laxatives help you lose weight quickly?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It will.

It will also dehydrate you.
    The weight will also come back soon (within days) after you stop taking the laxatives.

Be careful with the 'get thin quick' ideas. Work hard at staying active and eating well, and you will see results.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Don't even do this - you think you lose but it just hurries elimination and dehydrates. The worst part is it strips your body of essential enzymes and nutrients. I'm no doctor - check WebMD for better detail. A very bad thing that will only hurt you!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    If you are FOS, then yeah.
    It will accelerate water loss, which isn't a good thing. Laxatives are great for short term relief, long term use brings out a whole set of risks to your life and health. I advise against using them with any regularity.
    Regularity,HA! I kill me!
    Ted
  • 100poundstolose
    Options
    If you are FOS, then yeah.
    It will accelerate water loss, which isn't a good thing. Laxatives are great for short term relief, long term use brings out a whole set of risks to your life and health. I advise against using them with any regularity.
    Regularity,HA! I kill me!
    Ted

LOLOLOL!
    I'll put that into consideration, haha.
    THank you!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Take a fiber supplement (metamucil) to help things move more efficiently, if you're experiencing constipation. If you're not constipated, then there's no need for it. Once in awhile when I feel like I'm at a halt, I'll drink a magnesium citrate...but not to help with weight loss at all.
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    FOS.... NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ...but, would taking laxatives help you lose weight quickly?

taking these often... doesn't even have to be daily... can cause so many intestinal problems... i.e. >>>> not being able to take a grumpy with out them!!!! some people have had to have some intestines removed and live with a colostomy bag for the rest of their lives. i don't recommend it, unless you TRULY need it.... like above... if you're FOS. LOL!!! : )
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I have done some amateur kickboxing and my husband trains fighters. We all have to "make weight" before an event and some of the guys have used laxatives. It does help them temporarily shed 4-6 pounds, but it won't stay gone. Similarly, if you fast for a day you'll "lose" 5-10 pounds, but again they will come right back. Manipulating your water weight or the amount of waste working its way through your body is not the same thing as losing weight, that is FAT. Based on my experiences with the fitness clients in my husband's gym, I would say the best thing for you to do is try to lose 1-2 pounds per week and be consistent. It took your whole life to get where you are now; what difference does it make if it takes a months or even years to reach your goal? Becoming healthy is a continuous, life-long journey not a road trip with a beginning and and end.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    OMG sweetie.
    That is such a dangerous game to play.

Not only is this dangerous disordered behaviour, but you also risk causing life long damaging effects to your body if this is something you do, and get addicted to.

You run the risk of completely losing all muscle control of your bowels, which means embarassing bowel movements when you want to hold it. This also means that you could potentially lose the ability to move your bowels on your own without the assistance of a laxative.

I have to say coming from a Holistic Nutritionist, while you will feel better and happier with yourself when you see the numbers on the scale drop, this is going to set yourself up for disapointment. Once you stop taking the laxatives you are going to see the numbers go up again, making you feel bad. Which can get you caught up in the cycle of addition to the laxatives.

Also any get thin quick gimic is just that a gimic.

Make the healthy lifestyle change that will make you proud of yourself.

You didn't put the weight on overnight, and you can't lose it overnight either. It will take a while to get to where you want (based on your name 100pundstolose) you will gain so much more love, respect and confidence inyoursel for having had to work for it.

If losing weight was easy and there was a magic trick to dorping mega lbs quickly then places like MFP wouldn't be here, as none of us would have troubles with weight.

Good luck and please don't do this.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Very well said, Miranda!
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    OMG sweetie.
    That is such a dangerous game to play.

Not only is this dangerous disordered behaviour, but you also risk causing life long damaging effects to your body if this is something you do, and get addicted to.

You run the risk of completely losing all muscle control of your bowels, which means embarassing bowel movements when you want to hold it. This also means that you could potentially lose the ability to move your bowels on your own without the assistance of a laxative.

I have to say coming from a Holistic Nutritionist, while you will feel better and happier with yourself when you see the numbers on the scale drop, this is going to set yourself up for disapointment. Once you stop taking the laxatives you are going to see the numbers go up again, making you feel bad. Which can get you caught up in the cycle of addition to the laxatives.

Also any get thin quick gimic is just that a gimic.

Make the healthy lifestyle change that will make you proud of yourself.

You didn't put the weight on overnight, and you can't lose it overnight either. It will take a while to get to where you want (based on your name 100pundstolose) you will gain so much more love, respect and confidence inyoursel for having had to work for it.

If losing weight was easy and there was a magic trick to dorping mega lbs quickly then places like MFP wouldn't be here, as none of us would have troubles with weight.

Good luck and please don't do this.

Well, I am in the medical profession, and DITTO , ABOVE!! Couldn't have said it better myself , MirandaJayne! You DO NOT want to go there, Hon!