Is it just me or do you experience the same...

Options
Everyday I work hard to not go over my daily calorie goal. I go way over in my exercise calories burnt per week. Whenever I finish logging for the day it says that I will be a certain weight if I continue this for 5 weeks. I do and I AM NOT THAT WEIGHT!! WHAT IS THE DEAL? Am I doing something wrong? :grumble:

Replies

• gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm not sure as I just started last week, but I was wondering if that was an accurate estimate...Thanks for asking about it!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Well it says “if every day were like today”, which of course it isn’t. Every day is different. You do not eat the same exact thing in the same exact quantities, exercise for the same amount of time at the same intensity, sleep the same amount of hours, or have the exact same level of activity every day. The number is a guideline and in my case it varies daily. Think of the sentence more as a motivator. It’s telling you that you have made choices today that are either moving toward or away from your goal. That is all. It’s not a genie, and it’s not predicting. And you definitely shouldn’t feel anything negative about the work you are doing based on what it says.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well it says “if every day were like today”, which of course it isn’t. Every day is different. You do not eat the same exact thing in the same exact quantities, exercise for the same amount of time at the same intensity, sleep the same amount of hours, or have the exact same level of activity every day. The number is a guideline and in my case it varies daily. Think of the sentence more as a motivator. It’s telling you that you have made choices today that are either moving toward or away from your goal. That is all. It’s not a genie, and it’s not predicting. And you definitely shouldn’t feel anything negative about the work you are doing based on what it says.

Well said!
  • Mimigurken
    Mimigurken Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's a nice thing to see at the end of the day to make me log in the next but I never trust that number. I do smile every time though. Thanks MFP!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well, the problem is is that it says, "If every day were like today..." but every day is not the same, even if you eat the same amt. of calories. Some days you'll burn more, some days you'll sit more, some days you'll have more or less sodium (water retention), the nutritional value of your food isn't the same every day (even if the caloric value is), etc..

So, it's just a guide to give you an idea. It's never been right for me either, btw but I have read some posts on here where it has been fairly accurate for some. For me, it's just kind of a fun thing to look at, but I don't take it too seriously.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's completely inaccurate. I would ignore it, unless every day for you is exactly the same.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    It's a nice thing to see at the end of the day to make me log in the next but I never trust that number. I do smile every time though. Thanks MFP!
    It's my favorite part of the day!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to tell~ you may not be eating enough:noway: , to much sodium, to much sugar, not enough potassium, not enought water, not enough good fats,ect, ect, ect... your diary is the key, and we can't see it to give you honest feedback:ohwell:
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/R4z0r4Mm0/view/beat-your-food-diary-note-87463

This blog just caught my eye about the same thing.
  • jessica8960
    jessica8960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started 15 days ago and It has been pretty accurate for me. I'm suppose to lose 2 pounds a week and i've lost 5. All depends on how seriously you take it and everything. I am eating much better, staying at 1200 calories and exercising much more then before. I personally love when it says that because it gives me motivation to keep going. You just have to think to yourself...Wow if I keep doing this that is how much ill weigh in five weeks. =) That keeps me going. Plus I can just feel the difference in my body from taking better care of it.
  • geonote
    geonote Posts: 12
    Options
    You joined March, 2011, and have lost 15 pounds already! Holy Toledo!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    None of this can be that accurate as we are not doing fit tests and accurate BMR levels. It is a guesstimate. It is helpful but cannot predict the idiosynchrisies of our individuals bodies.