Salvage my calories or my protein? Help!

WifeMomDVM
WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I made some bad choices earlier today and here I am - pretty much out of calories for the day (net 1400) but short on my protein by about 65 grams! (tsk, tsk I know!!!)

I TRIED to exercise some of my bad choices away and yes, the fat and carbs dropped when I exercised, but so did the protein.

So my question is: on the days (hopefully few and far between) that I use bad judgement and my diary is not perfectly balanced which is better? Go eat some protein and go over on my calories until my protein requirement is met or just let that day slide, too bad, so sad I did not get my protein requirement for the day? I did TRY to undo some damage by having a rather LARGE protein shake after my work-out but it wasn't enough.

Also, I'm wondering if my body can utilize a bunch of protein at one time? I don't want it to go to waste by taking it all in at once.

I'm currently lifting weights 3x/week trying to build some lean muscle!

I need some advice from you nutrionists and lifters out there - please help! Thank you!

One last thing - my diary is public - Monday and Tuesday of this week are more typical of how I plan my days - today was just an oopsies!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    One day won't mess you up. Just make better choices tomorrow and pay attention to how your calories are spread out.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Thanks for the reply, but I am still not clear on which is better.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    I would salvage the cals as protein can be made up the following few days whereas cals really need to make sure you fuel the body first then worry about the building blocks for muscle afterward. As a rule of thumb I try to not exceed 30g protein per meal, but being over that will not hurt you, post workout you can go as high as 50 if you like, the body will take what it needs the rest will get dumped.
This discussion has been closed.