Spicy Turkey Burgers with Pickled Onions

Options
OK, I know the pickled onions sound weird, but trust me, they are a very unique taste and it is great. My husband actually liked it better than regular hamburgers. He said it reminded him of some sort of taco burger. Hope you all enjoy this as much as we do.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

Pickled Onions
1 cup red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced

Burgers
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (see Note)
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon canola oil
4 whole-wheat buns, split
8 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise

1. To prepare pickled onions: Whisk vinegar, brown sugar, salt and allspice in a medium glass bowl. Cover and microwave on High until the mixture boils, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, bring the mixture to a boil in a small saucepan on the stove.) Add onion and toss to coat.
2. To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to high. Place turkey in a medium bowl and gently mix in cilantro, cumin, ground chipotle, salt and allspice until distributed throughout the meat. Form the mixture into 4 patties. Brush with oil.
3. Grill the burgers until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Toast buns on the grill, if desired.
4. Drain the onion, discarding the marinade. Spread 2 teaspoons mayonnaise on each bun; top with a burger and pickled onions.

Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.

Nutrition Information

Per serving: 308 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 738 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Iron (20% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat

Replies

• stephi92569
    Options
    OK, I know the pickled onions sound weird, but trust me, they are a very unique taste and it is great. My husband actually liked it better than regular hamburgers. He said it reminded him of some sort of taco burger. Hope you all enjoy this as much as we do.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

Pickled Onions
    1 cup red-wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
    1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced

Burgers
    1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (see Note)
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    4 whole-wheat buns, split
    8 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise

1. To prepare pickled onions: Whisk vinegar, brown sugar, salt and allspice in a medium glass bowl. Cover and microwave on High until the mixture boils, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, bring the mixture to a boil in a small saucepan on the stove.) Add onion and toss to coat.
    2. To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to high. Place turkey in a medium bowl and gently mix in cilantro, cumin, ground chipotle, salt and allspice until distributed throughout the meat. Form the mixture into 4 patties. Brush with oil.
    3. Grill the burgers until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Toast buns on the grill, if desired.
    4. Drain the onion, discarding the marinade. Spread 2 teaspoons mayonnaise on each bun; top with a burger and pickled onions.

Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.

Nutrition Information

Per serving: 308 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 738 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
    Nutrition bonus: Selenium (30% daily value), Iron (20% dv).
    2 Carbohydrate Servings
    Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat
  • shortstack
    Options
    I'm going to try these tonight, sounds delish!
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Now THAT sounds fabulous!

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • soup78
    Options
    oops.....:grumble:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Those sound good, but a lot of work. :laugh:
  • soup78
    Options
    Made these tonight and oh, my what goodness! So much flavor, and I made 'em stovetop.....the grill will add much more depth next time. I was a little weary about the onions, but they made the burger complete, really tied in the flavors. We had ranch style beans and salad on the side.

Had to bump this one! :drinker: