Living At McDonald's

Options
The Ronald McDonald House, actually. A bunch of folks offered suggestions for keeping up with the diet/exercise before I came, and now that I am here and have more information, I thought I would offer an update -- especially for anyone else who might have to do this sometime!

First of all, the food is really problematic. The space for food storage is seriously limited. In the fridge and the freezer, I get one bin each, and each bin is about the size of a plastic shoebox and about twice that deep. That's it. I also get a pantry that is about the size of a half-locker at the gym (but no shelf!). In my refrigerator bin, I have my daughter's milk (I bought her some Hershey's, the shelf-stable kind in the juice-box type boxes, so I only have to keep a few in the fridge bin and the rest can go in the pantry), her medication-that's-mixed-with-Crystal Lite, plus the rest of the pitcher of Crystal Lite, a few of her bottles of water, one Coke Zero for me, and everything else has to go in the space that's left over from that. Right now "everything else" is a small jar of jelly so that I can make PB&J for the kid; a small canister of parmesan cheese so we can have it on our pasta, a bag of pre-sliced apples, and salad makings -- a bottle of Bolthouse ranch dressing, a bag of Fresh Express salad greens, and two small plastic tubs of pre-diced tomatoes and peppers from Publix. Oh, and a package of roasted turkey strips so that I can put some protein on my salads. That's pretty much ALL I can get in there, although I managed to squeeze in a small box with our leftover pizza from California Pizza Kitchen (lunch) on the very top. I've got pasta, sauce, bananas, Zone bars, Viactive chews, Ziploc baggies, breakfast makings, snack stuff for the kid, and the unrefrigerated Coke Zeros and milk in my pantry. I have a top-row pantry locker :frown: which makes things difficult for me; I can't actually reach all the way back in it. And the pantries are numbered to match our rooms, so I can't ask for a lower one. And you're not allowed to keep any food in your room AT ALL, so no supplementing with a cooler or more dry goods.

For our first two days, I was really at sea and had a couple of really bad days. Day three, I at least got back on track with logging what I was eating. Day four (is today day four already? Is it ONLY day four?), again I logged what I ate, at least, and was able to make my own salad for supper.

My biggest problem here is the CONSTANT availability of all my worst temptations. Any kind of frosted baked good you could imagine is available here, 24/7. I had not had a Dunkin Donuts powdered-sugar chocolate-creme-filled donut (my very favorite donuts!) in YEARS...guess what was on the counter this morning when I went downstairs for breakfast? I didn't even buy peanut butter girl scout cookies this year... guess what the Girl Scouts donated, that has been sitting out on a tray in quantity since we arrived? My absolute FAVORITE cake in the ENTIRE world is German Chocolate -- guess what the group that provided tonight's meal brought? I had no trouble turning down their fried chicken and eating my salad, but I had two pieces of that DELICIOUS homemade cake (man, that was SO good!). It's almost like I sent them a list of the worst things they could possibly put in front of me, and they thought it was a shopping list and went and got it all. It's been killing me for four days. The first two were the worst, but even though things are BETTER now, they're not what I'd like.

The exercise sitch is bad. I'm actually expected to assist with my kid's therapy, so no workout for me there. Also no work *time*, which means I have to do my paying-job (I can work by remote from my laptop) after therapy. The weather has been thunderstorms, thunderstorms, rain, cold, thunderstorms, so, no walks around the city for me. The room is not very big, and if I try to work out while my kid is trying to go to sleep... well, one of those things just isn't going to happen, and she HAS to sleep.

Short version here at the end of the long version: I'm getting the food sitch under control, but it's tough and has taken some real creativity, also lots of research for the restaurants we go to (California Pizza Kitchen has some good options if you can refrain from eating an entire pizza, or split it with someone). The exercise sitch is still to despair.

I'm open to suggestions, but possibly the best thing I could do is to go elsewhere -- like, to a hotel with an exercise room -- and that is actually on the table at this point. The RMH here... we have had some problems, and I am fed up enough that I am no longer looking askance at the possibility of dropping a couple thou on a hotel room for the remainder of our stay.

Replies

• fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    STOP drinking those diet sodas. You will often GAIN wt. instead of losing it. Those drinks are loaded with SODIUM. You need to REVISE YOUR DIET PROFILE to include SODIUM and FIBER as your two more of your NUTRIENT VALUE choices.

We are all allowed only 1500 mg. of sodium in any 24 hour period. Start READING the labels before you buy anything. High sodium content = poor weight loss. I can understand your issue with the food space. That's a tough call for you until your little angel has finished the treatments and you can return home. The main thing is to take excellent care of yourself. If you do not keep a good balance between balanced nutrition for yourself, physical activity, plenty of WATER, and eight hours sleep/night, you will be unable to care for your family.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do have sodium and fiber as two of the things I track. Coke Zero is very low sodium (28 mg/ 8 oz serving, 1% RDA),and I have one a day (sometimes two). It falls, for me, under the heading "Things I am not willing to completely 100% give up." So, not giving up my Coke Zeros. There are lots of other things that are far more problematic WRT sodium, like Lean Cuisine type meals, and I do try to limit those.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    OK its not the room you want, nor is it set up for your food you wish to eat/ And its not set up for you to exercise. Is you daughter being taken care of and are you paying a fair price for your stay and amenities, The Ronald McDonald house is pretty close to the only place that takes the parents in to be able to be with there children. I'm sorry but I think your very lucky.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    OK its not the room you want, nor is it set up for your food you wish to eat/ And its not set up for you to exercise. Is you daughter being taken care of and are you paying a fair price for your stay and amenities, The Ronald McDonald house is pretty close to the only place that takes the parents in to be able to be with there children. I'm sorry but I think your very lucky.

Actually, my problems here are not so much with the food/exercise situation -- The food thing took a few days to work out, but I think I've got it now. The exercise I hoped to sort out in a few days. If that were the only thing I had an issue with, I'd be pleased as punch to have what I've got here.

The problems I have had that have prompted me to look elsewhere for lodging are unrelated to my personal food/exercise situation. But relocating would help with those issues, too.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Is there no one here with something useful or encouraging to offer, besides incorrect nutrition information about my beverage of choice and a smackdown for my presumed ingratitude? Good grief, the section head is "motivation and support," not "criticism and condescension."
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having such a tough time :(. I wonder if you could keep a cooler in your car? That way you could rotate food through?

I also don't know what city you're in, but maybe calling some hotels to see if they could give you a break would be a great answer too. Some hotel manager might be willing to work with you. I know you're short on time.

When you are under stress, sleep and relaxation are really important for you too. I think I'd settle for some crunches and push ups and some yoga. Try to relax, and only worry about things that you can control.

Sounds like the cake was a big treat, and just treat it as such :). No worries there :).

I've always been amazed that hospitals offer such horrible food and options, since nutrition is such a huge key to success. I think your salads are great, maybe a few of those tiny tuna pouches as an alternative to turkey? They're flat so wouldn't take up a ton of space. Also those little packs of baby carrots. I'd look for small pre-packaged things that you can slip around other items and fit into the boxes in weird ways. I know they sell sliced apples the same way.

I'm praying for you, where there is a will, there is a way, and my hat is off to you that you are trying. That is so amazing!! Great job!
  • jenbusick
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having such a tough time :(. I wonder if you could keep a cooler in your car? That way you could rotate food through?

I also don't know what city you're in, but maybe calling some hotels to see if they could give you a break would be a great answer too. Some hotel manager might be willing to work with you. I know you're short on time.

When you are under stress, sleep and relaxation are really important for you too. I think I'd settle for some crunches and push ups and some yoga. Try to relax, and only worry about things that you can control.

Sounds like the cake was a big treat, and just treat it as such :). No worries there :).

I've always been amazed that hospitals offer such horrible food and options, since nutrition is such a huge key to success. I think your salads are great, maybe a few of those tiny tuna pouches as an alternative to turkey? They're flat so wouldn't take up a ton of space. Also those little packs of baby carrots. I'd look for small pre-packaged things that you can slip around other items and fit into the boxes in weird ways. I know they sell sliced apples the same way.

I'm praying for you, where there is a will, there is a way, and my hat is off to you that you are trying. That is so amazing!! Great job!

Thanks, oceanrose :smile: There are two other kids enrolled with my kid in this program, and they are staying at a hotel nearby. One of the other parents has told me who to call to get the rate they're getting. It's not cheap, but I would not have a lot of the problems I have had here at the RMH (it is not, for one thing, fully handicapped-accessible, which has been frustrating, especially since it's almost brand new! Granted, my daughter's handicap is not the handicap "everybody thinks of" -- she's not in a wheelchair -- but it's kind of important that she be able to bathe!). They also have some rules that, while I understand the rationale, make life unnecessarily difficult for one parent and a mobility-impaired child (she's required to be under my direct supervision at all times -- in the same room with me -- which, among other things, meant that she had to go with me when I went to park the car, and walk back to the house with me in a thunderstorm. They can't bend the rules enough to let the kid with mobility issues sit on a bench in the lobby, or in our room, instead of forcing her to walk in from the parking lot in driving rain? That's not SAFE for her! But that's The Rules, and they are draconian about The Rules here).

The Rules are the problem with keeping food in my car, too. I'd have to walk out there to get everything, which means the kid would have to go with me, and that's a lot of extra walking for her to have to do, especially in this weather.

It has been very frustrating that their rules just don't account or allow for a kid with mobility issues who is NOT in a wheelchair, and who only has one adult family member with her.

The cake WAS a real treat :happy: And after two days of just feeling awash, I think I finally have my will power back enough to walk past all the rest of those goodies.

Thanks so much for your prayers. If you'd like to be specific, ask that Cora would accomplish her therapy goals. Thanks again!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The plus side is that it is supposed to be getting nicer (and warmer) as the days go on. I am about 2 hours from B'Ham and we are supposed to have a beautiful weekend!!! So maybe you guys can get out and enjoy some fresh air finally.

I really wish I had some great ideas for you...it seems all the "comfort food" that people will bring to the Ronald McDonald house will not be the most nutritious and especially when you see all that stuff you love sitting right in front of you, I cannot imagine how hard it would be to just step away. I say, enjoy SOME of it...can you have a slice of cake? Yes of course, there is no reason/need to deprive yourself. Just have a small slice of cake or maybe HALF the donut, for example see if another mom wants to split it with you...or your daughter (if she can have it).

The suggestion to call local hotels and explain your situation may be a great one...I bet there are some hotels that would love to help you guys out and give you a great deal on a room.

Praying for your daughter and that she meets all her therapy goals!!!! I hope to see pictures of her jumping on her trampoline soon :)
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Kelz, I actually have a picture of her on a trampoline, but I don't know how to post it here. Are there instructions anywhere? Anybody know?
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Awesome :) I have no clue how to post pics...lol.
    I really hope that all of her therapy is 100% successful, I know that will then take the stress off of you considerably!!!!

Was yesterday any better?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Awww, I was wondering about you the other day, and so it's great that you took the time to post and tell us how things are going!

I think you already knew it was going to be tough, so at least that wasn't a total shock. Shame about the numbered locker business - do they have any little steps or kickstools that you could use to reach to the back of the locker?

How's the kid doing?

I'll go back and read your post in detail now, and see if I can gave any sane advice. But even if I can't , I'm sending healing and calming vibes your way.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Just checking in to see how you're doing today.

Remember to eat back your laughing cow light wedge, or your body will go into starvation mode :wink:
  • jenbusick
    Options
    It has been tough to get back here like I want to, but here's an update:

Kid is doing GREAT. She thinks she's having the time of her life, and doesn't seem to realize she's working really hard.

Week 2 is going much better than week one. I have made a commitment to log what I eat this week, and I am doing much better at that.

Also, week 2 is going better because the weather has improved, so the kid can ride her tryke (she has an Amtryke) to and from therapy. I walk with her, so that's about half an hour a day of walking for me. She'll keep riding until she falls off in exhaustion, pretty much, so I've done quite a bit of walking since the weather let us out of doors.

When I was home over the weekend, I picked up two workout DVDs to use on my laptop, and I tried one of them tonight. It's Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover, and I bought it because it looked like it had a series of 15-minute workouts on it. Because I'm in the same room with the kid, I don't get to work out after she's asleep, like I do at home, so my time is limited. But 15 minutes, I can manage. I did the first one tonight, and was pleased with it. Between that and the walking, I'm getting more exercise.

Another thing I've done to help myself out is to set my calorie goal to maintenance, which for me is 1810 cal/day right now. Relaxing my goal from "lose weight" to "maintain" has helped immensely; it's one less thing to fret over. My biggest concern, after all, was not that I wouldn't lose weight while I'm here, but that I would GAIN weight, so if I can not do that, I'm good.

Thanks for your concern, y'all!
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Oh, and another thing -- we are still at the RMH. The kid is very happy here; there are other kids to play with, indoor and outdoor play areas, and she can ride her tryke to therapy (something she really couldn't do from any other location we might end up in). If it were all about ME and MY comfort, I would not stay here, but it isn't. The kid is deliriously happy, so here we stay.

They have sleep number beds here. I miss my mattress (I have a really really really nice, 1-year-old foam mattress at home, and this sleep number job just doesn't even come close!). I miss my Wii. I miss my kitchen! I miss my husband and my 10-year-old, but I am not sure they miss me. They are spending lots of quality time together on Mario Kart and Super Mario Brothers, I think. Hee.

Oh oh! Another other thing! At the end of week one, we went home for the weekend, and I had gained 1.1 pounds. Given how rough the week was, I was over the moon about that. I had been bracing for a three, four, five pound gain, and it was just 1.1 pounds! Hooray!

Just two more weeks!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Another food suggestion - hard boil some eggs for your protein, hard boiled can be squeezed in between stuff and if accidentally knocked out won't make a mess. Maybe pre-package some protein powder and add to either water or milk...

I was also thinking on the exercise - something I do while my girls are asleep - and you don't need light for - pushups, situps (or stomach crunches) and exercises with arm weights. All pretty noiseless, but can all work up a sweat too and works on toning, if nothing else.

I know you said your child is not in a wheelchair, but do they have any accomodations to allow a wheelchair for her for some of those times where you have to take her with you?

Good luck and hope the weather has cleared so you can get out and walk.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • CatchThatKitten
    Options
    Prevention has a video out on youtube called the 8-minute Fat Blast...it's moves are pretty simple but the workout was good (for me at least!)! And you can watch it on your computer, which could help keep the volume down in case of sleeping kids :-). Here's the link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2wjbctfDfk

Stay tough! You can do it!
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Prevention has a video out on youtube called the 8-minute Fat Blast...it's moves are pretty simple but the workout was good (for me at least!)! And you can watch it on your computer, which could help keep the volume down in case of sleeping kids :-). Here's the link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2wjbctfDfk

Stay tough! You can do it!

Hey, thanks! I was a little annoyed by the ExerciseTV online videos, because they didn't go through all the reps. I like the ones that go through all the reps (so you don' t have to keep pausing the video) better.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I LOVE your positive attitude, your focus on the things that matter, and your creative approach to getting around obstacles! Hang on in there, and best wishes to the kid xxx
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had such a rough start at RMH. And that you felt attacked by some of the suggestions people made.

I'm glad some of the later suggestions were useful to you, and that things have settled down a bit. I think some of the suggestions were really great ones, especially later on in the replies. I'm definitely going to look up that fat blast video, myself!

I'll be praying for Cora's therapy to go well.

Hang in there!