push up alternative?

Options
sexygenius
sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
so I love jillian micheals thirty day shred, and im about to start a round of it, but i still cant do a decent push up (i cant even do a girly one!) because the video is so short i dont want to waste the time by just falling on the floor... what should I do when she is doing the push ups?

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/what.html That has some alternative push-ups. Maybe the wall push-ups would work for you?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Do push ups against the wall, or use a table etc. Do them like you would a "real" push up, and just do that until you build up enough muscle to do a real one on the floor. :)

chest_desk_pushup_2.jpg

wall-push-ups.jpg
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Could you do a straight-arm plank instead? It will work your core like a push up, but without quite the level of demand on your arms/shoulders.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    thank you guys! I think i will do a bench push up as the wall push up felt too easy.. haha finally a use for my hope chest! lol
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    but that would defeat the purpose...
    the point is to work your chest and shoulders.

do the what the others said, wall pushups are pretty pointless though, use a table, work you way down to the chairs...then eventually onto the floor.

Aslo, try adding 1 set of 20 or pushups to your day, every day. this will help dramatically by helping you adjust to the volume. soon you'll be busting them out normally. (when i say soon, it could be a while, lol.) Do them at the opposite end of your day to your other workouts. so if you exercise in the morning, do them before dinner. and vice versa.

it works. :)

or just do the hundred pushups workout. again at the opposite end of the day.