Injury Advice

Options
snelfk
snelfk Posts: 151 Member
Any advice on this would be appreciated...

I started MFP in late Jan and began walking and bike riding. By the end of April I wanted to ramp up my exercise a bit and began to run a little. Just a short distnace at first, and I made sure I stretched and warmed up first. By end of June I was running 1 - 1.5 miles. My youngest daughter challenged me to run in a mile fun run on July 4th. Since it was in the mountains, I ran a little over a mile every day for the 6 days before the race, that's when my hip really began to hurt. I chalked it up to the running everyday and the really, really bad bed I was sleeping on. So, I didn't do any walking, running or biking for about a week. I started up again, no runiing, just walking 3 to 4 miles twice a week and riding 10 -12 miles once a week.

The thing is, my hip hurts worse than ever. It hurts to bend over (90 degrees) or sit down, straightening up is even worse! Sometimes I can't sit at all without any pain. When straightening, it's a sharp pain, when sitting a medium ache. Paying attention to my walking yesterday, I noticed it was a dull ache directly in from the dimple above my butt. Riding today didn't hurt as much, but when I pedaled hard, there was a prickly sensation down my leg towards my knee.

We had our hot tub delivered and installed yesterday, was really hoping that would help, but it was so uncomfortable to sit I couldn't stay in long.

I guess the next step is to see my doc, but I'm really afraid he'll tell me to stop exercising.
Anybody have any advice or suggestions??

Replies

• snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Any advice on this would be appreciated...

I started MFP in late Jan and began walking and bike riding. By the end of April I wanted to ramp up my exercise a bit and began to run a little. Just a short distnace at first, and I made sure I stretched and warmed up first. By end of June I was running 1 - 1.5 miles. My youngest daughter challenged me to run in a mile fun run on July 4th. Since it was in the mountains, I ran a little over a mile every day for the 6 days before the race, that's when my hip really began to hurt. I chalked it up to the running everyday and the really, really bad bed I was sleeping on. So, I didn't do any walking, running or biking for about a week. I started up again, no runiing, just walking 3 to 4 miles twice a week and riding 10 -12 miles once a week.

The thing is, my hip hurts worse than ever. It hurts to bend over (90 degrees) or sit down, straightening up is even worse! Sometimes I can't sit at all without any pain. When straightening, it's a sharp pain, when sitting a medium ache. Paying attention to my walking yesterday, I noticed it was a dull ache directly in from the dimple above my butt. Riding today didn't hurt as much, but when I pedaled hard, there was a prickly sensation down my leg towards my knee.

We had our hot tub delivered and installed yesterday, was really hoping that would help, but it was so uncomfortable to sit I couldn't stay in long.

I guess the next step is to see my doc, but I'm really afraid he'll tell me to stop exercising.
    Anybody have any advice or suggestions??
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    It sounds like you've either pinched or ripped something and I recommend that you contact your doctor about it.

If you've never had a muscle spazm in the back your symptoms also seem to reflect this condition as well but before you get any advice on any condition from the rest of us see a physician about your condition and then let us know and if someone has had a similar experience and survived maybe we can tell you what worked for us.

Please let us know what you do.

Bob
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    It's always a good idea to talk to a doctor, but it's probably muscular. There are a lot of muscles that attach around the hip. A lot of people experience Sciatic pain that stems from hip muscles especially the Piraformis compressing the Sciatic nerve. The dimple above your but is your PSIS or posterior superior illiac spine and it is an attachment site for some of your lower trunk trunk muscles... lots of people from improper posture or repetitive motions can strain the muscles in that area. Sometimes all it takes is some corrective stretching and paying attention to your posture. I have pain from my hip all the way down sometimes and exercize aggravates it if I don't stretch properly. Hope this relieves some of your worrying. :smile:
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    Go see your Doc. He will probably just tell you certain things not to do and some things that you can do. But it is important to get it checked out so you don't do further damage. Plus if you keep eating right you should maintain your current loss and the injury will just set you back the time out. It will be okay! Hang in there!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Chiropractors are good too. I went last week and my hip was really out, which was bothering my knee. I could tell that there weren't any loose joints :happy: and that it was probably muscular and to stretch more. After that I ran a 10K with out being sore afterwards. I put some bio freeze (icy hot type stuff) on it and that helped too.

work on stretching your hip flexor if your pain is in the front of your hip at the joint.
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    Chiropractors are good too. I went last week and my hip was really out, which was bothering my knee. I could tell that there weren't any loose joints :happy: and that it was probably muscular and to stretch more. After that I ran a 10K with out being sore afterwards. I put some bio freeze (icy hot type stuff) on it and that helped too.

work on stretching your hip flexor if your pain is in the front of your hip at the joint.

...and don't forget Massage Therapists...hehe...but I may be a little biased! :laugh: Your doc should be your first stop though! Good luck!