has this happened to you?

Options
Has anyone gone to their doctor concerned about their weight only to get the feeling of being brushed off because you didn't need to lose a hundred + pounds ? I have been following the plan my doctor and nutritionist have me on to the letter (this is actually the 3rd modification to it since January) and I feel they don't take it as seriously as I do and kind of brush me aside because I need to lose 40 pounds and not 140 or 240. I keep getting the same answer to every question I come up with which is "your getting older, it's harder to lose at your age, these things take time, you didn't put it on quickly so you won't lose it quickly", etc..etc. Which by the way isn't true for me, took me only 10 months to gain 56 pounds, a year and a month to lose almost all of it, and 3 1/2 months to gain it back. I am thoroughly at a loss and frustrated. :angry:

Replies

• littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Has anyone gone to their doctor concerned about their weight only to get the feeling of being brushed off because you didn't need to lose a hundred + pounds ? I have been following the plan my doctor and nutritionist have me on to the letter (this is actually the 3rd modification to it since January) and I feel they don't take it as seriously as I do and kind of brush me aside because I need to lose 40 pounds and not 140 or 240. I keep getting the same answer to every question I come up with which is "your getting older, it's harder to lose at your age, these things take time, you didn't put it on quickly so you won't lose it quickly", etc..etc. Which by the way isn't true for me, took me only 10 months to gain 56 pounds, a year and a month to lose almost all of it, and 3 1/2 months to gain it back. I am thoroughly at a loss and frustrated. :angry:
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    shooot... i get brushed off about everything.. except for my OB.. hes the one that really encouraged me.. well he scared it off of me..lol.. or maybe my family physician is so busy to even notice ppl who need to loose weight anymore.. or are they afraid were gonna ask for a weight loss pill!?
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    True, weight comes on so fast that it is hard to notice until it is looking at you in the face. I've actually had someone , a few people actually comment on me, "oh you're loosing weight". I'm thinking to myself.. they think Im fat? I actually was skinny about 2 years ago. does that mean it will take me 2 years to knock off about 10-15 pounds?

I dont know how you are all doing it, but you make it look so darn easy!

My new goal is to loose 10 pounds by the end of august, think it is possible?
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Littleone,

Your profile says you joined MFP in December and haven't lost any weight. I'd be frustrated too!
    I know what you mean about the doctor not being concerned. My doctor was the same way. I felt like I had to do it by myself. This website has been a godsend for me.
    Here are some thoughts about things to check to help you lose:

1. Are you logging in everything you eat?
    2. Could you be overestimating calories burned in workouts?
    3. Are you eating too few calories? (There's been lots of info on this site that talks about going into starvation mode and causing your body to hold onto weight.
    4. Did the doctor check your thyroid?
    5. Have you tried mixing up your workouts to kickstart your metabolism?
    6. Have you gotten a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate reading on how many calories you burn?

If you're doing everything this site recommends and not losing, it really is possible there is a medical reason. Good luck and I hope you figure out the problem soon.:flowerforyou:
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!!! Now I know I haven't lost all my marbles. I am absolutely honest when I say I am doing EXACTLY everything I am being told and the things recommended on this site. I even went so far to ask one of the veterinarians at the hospital where I work if the thyroid test we do on animals is the same they do on humans because my doctor says that mine is perfectly fine. She said they are the same, but that she didn't know the parameters of a human thyroid to be able to tell whether my thyroid was normal or not . Now that's getting desperate! She did recommend going to an endocrinologist though, saying that other things could be going on in my body to give false results. I did call the Dr's office for a referral and was told that I have to come in and see the Dr first. I"m thinking... I was just in there two weeks ago and got nowhere and now somehow I have to find the time to go back in to argue and be told that I'm making more out of it than I need to and I need to be patient. I need to get your feed back on this as well...My nutritionist has me eating 1100 calories a day, I can eat all the protein and green veggies I want, but only two servings of fruit and 4 servings of carbs(it amounts to 4 slices of whole grain bread). And not to eat back my exercise calories. I have lost some weight but not a whole lot. The first plan we started with made me gain 7 pounds, so back I went and had the nutritionist tweak the plan and the doc put me on wellbutrin for the depression (wasn't just the weight issue). I lost the 7 and another 5 or 6, then stalled. Now I thought you don't really hit a plateau until you've lost 10 or 20 pounds, what gives? So back to the nutritionist again, and we tweak the plan again to the one I'm on now, the 1100 calorie. I've lost maybe two pounds. So in all I've lost 7 pounds in 7 months. That's beyond slow, that's almost in reverse.