Salt cravings after exercise

Options
Am i the only one who craves salty after exercising??? Hopefully not!

I work out pretty hard and as a result I really sweat alot. After exercising, no matter how much water I drink, I just want to eat salty foods - bad idea surely??

Anyone have any tips for this?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    How much sodium do your normally get a day? How long are your workouts, and how much are you sweating?

If you are on a very low sodium diet and exercising for long periods and/or in intense heat, you may not be getting enough sodium for the demands you are placing on your body.
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This happens to me A LOT!
    After my workout I am so munchy for salty things!! Instead I just drown myself with water on the way back from the gym and drink a protein shake, that really helps me.
    The protein in the shake fills you up faster so you are not as hungry after the work out and it also satisfies your muscles after the work out too.
    Hope that helps a little.
  • gsallit
    gsallit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think when you sweat you lose some minerals like sodium as well as water from your body, I think drinks like Gatorade are supposed to replace some of those minerals. So may be it worth trying it if your workout is very intense and you're sweating a lot.
  • dwithd
    dwithd Posts: 7
    Options
    Maybe a low cal sports drink will be helpful (lost of electrolytes) instead of a salty snack...let us know if you figyre something that works.
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    Im getting about 1500mg sodium a day, and I sweat alto! I'm running 12km/h for 30-35 min. At the end of it my shirt is drenched!

I should be getting around 2500 a day, and I am guessing that this is the reason im craving salt.

Im going to start with that anyway - making sure I am nearer my sodium goals.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I get like that. I usually drink a diet coke and I feel better. I should drink a sports drink instead. I think I am going to look into that. I think the sodium and potassium will help.

I am sweating like a pig and leave all wet.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    If you are sweating so much you are probably loosing a lot of minerals in your sweat. Personally I would just add a dash of natural sea salt in your water or in a cup of seltzer and avoid all the dyes and artificial flavors in sports drinks.
  • VeronicaMcGuinness
    Options
    Post workout have a low cal Gatoraide , It will replace the sodium you lost..I do that everyday!!
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    Update - I have been making sure that my sodium levels are nearer what they should be - and that has made a huge difference!
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are replacing the electrolytes you lose during exercise- you need water, a little salt and a little sugar- like in gatorade or similar products.