Bananas & weight loss???

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
I'm trying to lose the last 15 lbs! Are bananas an OK breakfast to have or do they hinder weight loss? Thanks for your imput!:smile:

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the last 15 lbs! Are bananas an OK breakfast to have or do they hinder weight loss? Thanks for your imput!:smile:

A banana alone is not enough of a breakfast. You will end up being hungry later and eating more.

My daily breakfast consists of Chocolate Shakeology with water, ice and a banana blended together. Or with All Natural Peanut Butter. Tastes too good to be good for you, but it is.....
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day and haven't had an issue. However, it is important to eat other fruits and vegetables, too. Try to mix it up with things of different colors (i.e. blueberries, strawberries, peaches, etc.)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Why would you think they hinder weight loss?
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    Make a banana smoothie, I scoop chocolate protein powder, banana, ice, water and if wanted a 1/2 tbs coconut oil. Yummy
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I eat a banana every day. It helps to eliminate leg pains that I have. It's a good source of potassium for you.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Bananas with Oatmeal is always a great combination...or I do toasted multi-grain bread, peanut butter & banana sandwich...You just need to need senseable, have a workout plan. Watch your Sodium intake, what you eat for Junkfood, Fastfood, Processed/Canned foods...You'll see the weight loss come off :happy:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day. It helps to eliminate leg pains that I have. It's a good source of potassium for you.

I need to do this, I get Charlie Horses constantly. Always have since I was a kid but now they are so much worse. Husband has to help stop the pain because I forget how to make them go away! ugh..
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try adding some protein for breakfast. I do 1 pack of instant oatmeal and 2 jimmy dean turkey sausage links. I also do eggbeaters on an arnold multi-grain sanwich thin. The first is only 220 cals and has 11g of protein. The 2nd is 160 cals and 16g of protein. I also snack on almonds for protein and laughing cow cheese wedges. Good luck!
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I usually have at least half a banana for breakfast, together with some protein (hardboiled egg and protein milkshake, and some fiber one cereal.

Bananas have a lot of sugar, but if you don't eat a huge one, and do not eat any processed foods, and just some more fruit you will be fine.

Only a banana for breakfast might be too little unless it's an occasional thing. If you eat lots the night before, I understand you won't be very hungry in the morning.

What works best for me is to have a high-protein, big breakfast (including the banana most of the time) in the morning, eat "often" during the day, and not eat after 5 or 6pm. Drink herbal tea like mint, chamomile, peppermint, lemongrass teas that relax your body, and get a good night's rest.
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I read an article about banana's. The one that are still a bit under ripe have more resistant starch than a ripe on does. So it takes longer to break down. I do banana smoothies (usually for a treat) by mixing 4oz 1% milk+ice+2tsp of splenda+banana+ i/2 cip berries. A scoop of protien would be helpful I got to get me some.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Ohwhataday --

I need to do this, I get Charlie Horses constantly. Always have since I was a kid but now they are so much worse. Husband has to help stop the pain because I forget how to make them go away! ugh..

Stretching is VERY important for this too. Stand on some stairs (hanging on), and lower your heels as far as you can to stretch your calf muscles out. Also helps with shin splints. You can also get what is called a "J/Fit Stretch" for around $20-25 which does the same thing. After some surgery on a pinched nerve (caused by shin splints, caused by too much treadmill when I first began this journey), I purchased one of those at the recommendation of a physical therapist.

Kaye
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    How would a banana hinder weight loss? It's just a fruit, with a certain amount of calories.

I would have oatmeal porridge with a banana chopped in for breakfast. Delicious and keeps me full for ages.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 bananas a day, one WITH my breakfast (not just for breakfast) and usually one later in the day for a snack, especially if I am exercising later. I haven't had any negative effects.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I"ve read that bananas have more starch and sugar...that there are better options if you want to lose weight. Thanks for your imput. :smile:
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    IdK I always see the banner on the net saying foods to avoid and a picture of a banana right there but face it There are far worse things out there than a banana! I Have a nanner in my protien Shake after a workout & haven't had any problems yet!
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options

They hurt too!!!When I feel the on set of a charlie horse I automatically point my toes the flex my heal out and will do this until it passes. I find that it helps. I don't get them as often now that I eat a banana a day. I remember when I was pregnant they were are their worse. Hope this little excersise helps you
  • jaclynchristina
    jaclynchristina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yeah...you should be eating at least 200-250 calories for breakfast. a banana should be supplemented with some protein in the morning. weight loss is all about calories consumed and calories burned.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    Grilled pb & banana sandwich with a little brown sugar splenda sprinkled on the pb and a cold glass of fat free milk. Yummy!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Grilled pb & banana sandwich with a little brown sugar splenda sprinkled on the pb and a cold glass of fat free milk. Yummy!

That sounds yummy!!!!