Boxing bag recommendations!?

Options
Does anyone have a boxing bag at home? I'm looking into buying one, that has a stand, and am seeing mixed reviews about a lot of them. I'm hoping to be able to spend around $100 (or more) on it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• 2ndHalf
    2ndHalf Posts: 15
    Options
    I have a heavy bag & a speed bag.....LOVE THEM BOTH!!!!!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you get a heavy bag, sometimes you have to have lots of weights and some sand bags on the stand to keep it from moving. If you can find a place to hang one, that would be better. I use a speedbag and I LOVE IT! I highly recommend using one, while you continue to research the heavy bags. That's what I'm having to do. LOL. also... people sell quite a few of them on craigslist! : )
  • expatben
    expatben Posts: 2
    Options
    Get a used one. Unless you are looking to become a pro fighter, any one that you like will work. Used is great. People hardly use them or one that was used a lot will be soft and taped up nicely. You almost can't loose. Just check to see what they go for new before you buy so you don't pay too much.

I had a heavy bag for years and loved it. Best work out ever!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have this infatuation with shows like The Biggest Loser and Heavy and on The Biggest Loser one of the trainers was a professional boxer and I see the workout it gives people and it looks amazing. You get to release some aggression/frustration along with an incredible workout!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I do have a bag. The heavier the bag, the better...less swaying from hits. Also, try to stay away from vinyl as it will tear, crackle, rip sooner than better quality stuff.

I got mine from my MMA gym. The owner was placing an order and I asked if he could order one for me. It's a great workout. There's just something about making contact with something when you throw a punch or kick.

Good luck on your purchase.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    You might also check a used sporting goods store. I bought mine that way and it was about half price. Good luck! Boxing is awesome :)
  • Tiana405
    Options
    I have this infatuation with shows like The Biggest Loser and Heavy and on The Biggest Loser one of the trainers was a professional boxer and I see the workout it gives people and it looks amazing. You get to release some aggression/frustration along with an incredible workout!

on the days i don't run, i do the speed bag and talk about a work out. it NEVER gets boring, you work on speed/hand-eye coordination, and what a good sweat! moving side to side still gives your legs a work out and man oh man... you start to develop sexy shoulders and back! i'm STILL sore from just doing 30 minutes on tuesday right along both shoulder blades and through out the middle (towards the spine). the results are sooo beneficial!

love that you posted this, b/c majority of women don't ever think about boxing as cardio or something they'd like to do. i think they'd be pleasantly surprised!
  • Tiana405
    Options
    I do have a bag. The heavier the bag, the better...less swaying from hits. Also, try to stay away from vinyl as it will tear, crackle, rip sooner than better quality stuff.

I got mine from my MMA gym. The owner was placing an order and I asked if he could order one for me. It's a great workout. There's just something about making contact with something when you throw a punch or kick.

Good luck on your purchase.

TOTALLY AGREE! GREAT RELEASE... ESPECIALLY, AFTER A BAD DAY!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You might also check a used sporting goods store. I bought mine that way and it was about half price. Good luck! Boxing is awesome :)

I never thought about that (oddly enough!). Thanks for the tip. Might do that on my lunch break today :)
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I never thought about that (oddly enough!). Thanks for the tip. Might do that on my lunch break today :)

Try craigslist too..if you have it. You'd be amazed how many people buy it (like all other exercise equipment) and never use it. :)