TOM Weight Gain

Options
I'm sure this has been answered before but I went through a few pages and didn't see the answer so.....

Ladies, How much weight do you gain at the TOM & what happens when its over? Do you lose all the weight you "gained" plus lose the weight that you would have normally lost that week? (ie: i was down 2 lbs before this week, went back up to my starting weight when TOM started, but I have keptgoing with my calorie goals / exercise regimen so i'm hoping I will still make my goal when I weigh in on Monday - 3-4 lbs lost total)

I just joined 2 weeks ago and I am proud of the progress I have made and I just want to know what I can expect next week :)

Thanks!

Replies

• alanzo87
    alanzo87 Posts: 14
    Options
    I end up going up around 2-3 lbs for that whole week, and usually they come right off at the end...unless i give in to all of the cravings i have. Its really frustrating, but atleast it comes back off.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out over how much weight you put on during your TOM, it's just from being bloated and water weight. It'll come right back off as soon as you are over your period. Since you are just starting out don't stress out over the numbers on the scale. Remember take it slow, if you try rushing things you will only get discouraged and make it harder on yourself. You may or may not reach your 3 or 4 lb weightloss goal on Monday but don't let that get you down.

Just keep working out and watching what your eating and the weight will come off on it's on time. I hope this helps. Good luck on your weightloss journey :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It varies by person and with their eating plan. If you are eating a lot of carbs and sodium, you'll probably see a bigger water weight swing than those who eat fewer carbs and less sodium.

I can go up 3-6 pounds the week before and lose all of it the first day of my period with some rather unpleasant bathroom activity that just seems to always happen to me. Yup, all that water goes back out in one day!

Now that I've been reducing carbs and at least trying to stay under 2500 mgs of sodium per day, there's a much smaller water weight swing. Maybe 2 pounds.

If watching the water weight swing is going to drive you mad, just don't weigh in the week before your period.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-3 lbs also, it comes off right after. Its just from water retention, don't sweat it. Just don't give in to your TOM cravings!!!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    1-3 pounds and it all comes off after. Don't sweat it.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this...our office is doing a Biggest Loser competition and of COURSE I get my TOM right around our final weigh-in...ugh.
    So what I did is just continue to work out (I find it actually makes me feel better to work out during this time) and drink tons and tons of water. Being up at 152 last night and just drinking a ton of water caused me to weigh in at 148 this morning. So the majority is all water weight and I think just flushing water through your system will help get rid of it all...
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It varies by person and with their eating plan. If you are eating a lot of carbs and sodium, you'll probably see a bigger water weight swing than those who eat fewer carbs and less sodium.

I can go up 3-6 pounds the week before and lose all of it the first day of my period with some rather unpleasant bathroom activity that just seems to always happen to me. Yup, all that water goes back out in one day!

Now that I've been reducing carbs and at least trying to stay under 2500 mgs of sodium per day, there's a much smaller water weight swing. Maybe 2 pounds.

If watching the water weight swing is going to drive you mad, just don't weigh in the week before your period.

That's exactly my experience! I used to go up 3-5 lbs during TOM but since I started losing weight, eating better, and drinking even more water, it's only gone up 2 lbs on the first couple of days. It goes right off by the third or fourth day, usually. And I do go to the bathroom way more often during those first couple of days. To the OP: don't even bother weighing yourself during that week. I do it just as a frame of reference to figure out how much water I'm retaining, but if you find it frustrates you, just don't step on the scale until that week is done. It might be better for your sanity!
  • gorguslyjealous
    gorguslyjealous Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hm... I'm not sure! TOM is obnoxious for sure!! I feel like 2 weeks out of the month I feel GREAT and then there's the "pre-tom" week - and I feel all bloaty and that's when MY cravings are. I try to take B6 for water weight a few times a week so that I don't hold onto a lot of the water weight - but if I do good not giving into the cravings I can usually maintain. I'm having a hard time in general just LOSING at all ever - so this is the first month that I've done pretty good with keeping on track - writing EVERYTHING down (good or bad) - and this is the PRE-TOM week and I know I feel all bloaty and haven't lost anything yet - so we'll see what happens!