P90 "menu" and MFP

angel_eyes17
angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Hi. I ordered P90 and I'm waiting patiently for it. (Not really)

I was wondering how different people handled the P90 "menu" and MFP. I know MFP says you should eat your excercise calories. Does P90 say the same thing? Or should 1200 calories be the goal?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    I'd stick with the P90 menu!! It was developed by professionals to go along with that work out, and they certainly know what they're talking about! MFP doesn't realize how strenuous of exercise you'll be doing and can't adjust your nutrition levels to fit...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    They recommend no less than 1800 calories per day. But, they do also assume the workouts burn 600 calories.
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    im in the same boat. already have everything but going to start on sat. it recommended me to reach 1800 a day with exercise added in as 600 i believe. right now i do 1300. i was also curious so im thinking you dont add in exercise since it figures it up in the outline in the book. thats my understanding of it but if im wrong i would love to know what im supposed to be doing! Good luck!
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    P90 will most certainly encourage you to eat the exercise calories. I have P90X and I only thought I was eating enough and didn't get good results until I examined my diet (thanks to MFP) and realized I need to up my intake.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    my P90 menu doesn't mention a calorie count, but my guess is that if you eat the 3 meals and 2 snacks they suggest, you will hit about 1500 (or more)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I know the P90X program has 1800 calories as the minimum. I don't always eat that but can come close on the days I workout. I'm not following the exact meal plan. I'm following advice from a PT on this site. 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass or goal body weight. 25% fat. 1-3 servings of fruit and 3-6 servings of veggies. He made no mention of whole grains - just said I could eat anything else my little heart desires withing my calorie goal. I eat my oatmeal and sometimes some brown rice on occasion. I use protein powders for the extra protein and they are great for an post-workout recovery drink.

If I were you I would eat at least maintenance and try to keep your NET calories there. (Too much exercise on calorie restrictions can result in muscle loss as our body tried to protect our fat reserves.
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    I do P90X, this is my second round. I dont do the menu, I stick to around 1200 calories. I also have a HRM to know exactly how many calories I burn because everyone is different so the calories are going to be different and depending on if you give 100%
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Thanks everyone! I just found a printout of Michi's Ladder and it doesn't seem terrible at all. I think it's pretty lenient as far as a "diet" menu goes. Eating more than 1200 sounds like the thing to do, but I was curious about what others were doing. Thank you all for your advice!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Yes, I would definitely recommend you eat your exercise calories. Since you're doing P90, not P90X (I'm doing the same... today is day 39) you will probably burn between 300-500 calories per workout during phase 1-2, and a bit more during phase 3-4.

The 1800 calorie minimum recommendation someone mentioned above is for P90X, not Power 90. Power 90 does not give you a specific calorie recommendation, just some broad recommendations of the types of foods you should be eating, and portion sizes, etc.

If you eat your 1200 plus your exercise calories you will have great success. You also don't seem to have much to lose so you may even want to eat a little more.

Enjoy P90, it's a great program!
This discussion has been closed.