Okra ?

Options
Anyone have any low fat, low calorie ways to cook okra?

Replies

• mommyagain
    mommyagain Posts: 28
    Options
    Anyone have any low fat, low calorie ways to cook okra?
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I basically lightly fry it with onions and then add tomatoes later. I also add cumin, cayene pepper and turmeric (indian spice). It comes out tasting delicious!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Fry it in olive oil of course.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    I do it the traditional egyptian way.. u can use minced beef or not i prefer not to..

I just make it with a tomato based sauce and eat it with rice
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just boil it. (well, okay, simmer)

I do prefer the whole baby okra for that though. Bigger pods tend to be tougher, which aren't as nice to eat whole.

I also like to put a sliver of unsalted butter on top of my serving, which doesn't kill my daily calorie count or fat grams goal quite as much as you might think. (On the other hand, I do almost all my own cooking, so have a good bit of control over how much fat I use in other things.)

Another relatively low cal thing is to make 'okra and tomatoes', which at our house means dumping a pound of frozen cut okra in a sauce pan with a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes. Add a few dashes of creole seasoning (and hot sauce, if you like it really spicy) and simmer away. IIRC, I tend to add some water to it, just to make sure it doesn't stick.

If you want to get fancy, saute a half a medium onion in a teaspoon of olive oil first, then dump the other stuff on top. If you want something sort of gumbo-like, add some protein (shrimp would be my choice) and simmer to blend the flavors. (Gumbo purists like to argue about what makes gumbo truly gumbo. With okra, without tomatoes, with file, with sausage, without sausage ... . As for me, I just like the stuff. :) )

Most of the food magazines seem to think that okra and tomatoes has all sorts of other stuff in it, and it's true that sometimes I add some sauteed celery and bell pepper in there too, but honestly, I usually don't bother. (and no way do I ever put corn in my okra and tomatoes, though I know others do it.)

If you really must saute your okra first, try it in a relatively small amount of a tasty olive oil in a nonstick pan.

(ooh! sorry to ramble!) .
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    anyone have a special way to make okra so it ain't slimy
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    anyone have a special way to make okra so it ain't slimy

The only way that I have had okra is fried ( don't throw things...I haven't had fried okra in years :laugh: :laugh: )

My sister in law eats okra, and simmers it on the stove......what is up with the slimy???? :laugh: :laugh: ugh.....soooooooooooo gross!
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    What the heck is okra?
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What the heck is okra?

Here's a link to a food thesaurus page about 'edible pods', the top photo is of okra:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Pods.html
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My wife is from Turkey and has introduced my to a variety of new and exciting food which are nutritious. Foods such as liver, gizzard, salad with light olive oil, lemon and crushed red pepper, lamb kabob, italian beans with lamb and probably one of my favorite is an okra soup. I don't make it but here are the ingredients.

8oz Okra
    1 can Chick Peas
    Lamb 16oz cut into small cubes
    2 Tbsp Canola Oil
    1 Tbsp Red Hot Chili Pepper Paste

If you would like more details I will see if I can get them.