Milk and Cereal

Options
So I was wondering do you count all the milk you use for your cereal even if you don't drink it. I just had a bowl of cereal and I used 1/2 cup of fat free milk, but now I am done and there is still I would say 1/3 cup left. I don't like to drink the milk after I eat my cereal so I am just going to throw that away. So do I log the 1/2 a cup of milk or just what I consumed?

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I would log only what you ate of the milk.
  • southa77
    southa77 Posts: 12
    Options
    I would think you would just log what you actually ate, if you didnt consume it it should not go towards your calorie total. Just a guess.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I log the 1/2 c. just because I think it's better to overestimate a little. I put a splash of milk in my coffee in the morning but I don't feel like measuring it out each time, so I always but 1/2 c. even though it's less than that. Plus it gives you a tiny bit of leeway in case that piece of fruit you ate was 10 more calories than it was in the database or you used a rounded cup of cereal or anything like that.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't drink it you don't take in those calories so I would say don't count it. However, if you want to take the entire "hit" for it you will actually have a few less calories listed on your day than what you really took in. Either way, we are probably only talking about 20 calories or so, right? And like the prior person put, it may make up for something that you underestimated or was a little off. I put down I had an entire 20 oz Dr. Pepper the other day even though both of my girls had a few drinks out of the bottle.
  • randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    Options
    Just log what you ate. Now I only use about 1/4 cup of milk in my cereal because I was having so much left and didn't drink it or anything.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I log the 1/2 c. just because I think it's better to overestimate a little. I put a splash of milk in my coffee in the morning but I don't feel like measuring it out each time, so I always but 1/2 c. even though it's less than that. Plus it gives you a tiny bit of leeway in case that piece of fruit you ate was 10 more calories than it was in the database or you used a rounded cup of cereal or anything like that.

this.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't drink it you don't take in those calories so I would say don't count it. However, if you want to take the entire "hit" for it you will actually have a few less calories listed on your day than what you really took in. Either way, we are probably only talking about 20 calories or so, right?

exactly and 20 calories does not make a difference. I log my entire lunch salad but don't always eat it all. But I leave it there and make a note of it on my Food Diary.

All these numbers are just estimates anyway. It's not an exact science.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hmm I don't log the milk I use in my cereal and I don't measure how much milk I use either. I probably should but as someone else said it would only be about 20 or so calories, not really worth it. Plus I do an hour of cardio everyday, I think if you're consistent and into your exercise (for eg I burn between 500-600 calories a day in workouts) then it doesn't matter too much.

Also, you'll go nuts if you worry about logging little things like that! I don't log condiments either, except for peanut butter and vegemite. But like garlic, herbs and spices and tomatoe sauce etc I don't log because I don't go crazy with it and I don't have the patience/time/energy to be that obsessive.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    I log the amount I put in the bowl... much more accurate than guesstimating how much you might have consumed