Fiber Shmiber.

Options
How is it that I can eat a bowl of high-fiber oatmeal and a banana at 7:30 in the morning, followed by a multi-grain English Muffin with peanut butter at 10:00, and STILL my stomach feels like it's eating itself until it's lunchtime?

I joined MFP almost 90 days ago. I've lost 30 pounds and have 25 to go. I am doing great with my diet (and I mean that in the literal sense of the word, so don't get all worked up!): I eat healthy, unrefined foods; I snack all throughout the day on things like yogurt, peanut butter, cheese, fruit, smoothies; I stick to my calorie goal and eat back exercise calories; I've been drinking water like I've got OCD, and I STILL feel hungry most of my day. I am completely confident that I can continue doing this, and I don't ever have the feeling like I am going to cave and eat beyond my goal, but it just seems that, by this point, I shouldn't feel hungry all. day. long.

My diary is private, but I assure you I am eating a healthy, high-fiber diet and that I eat every couple of hours. I'm just wondering if anyone else still often feels hungry throughout the day? Anything that helps you stave it off? I read post after post about people having trouble eating all of their 1200 calories and I'm like... huh???

I might just be the World's Hungriest Girl.

:)

Replies

• Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    try adding some protein too. maybe you could cut back on the oatmeal a little and add some eggs or greek yogurt along with your breakfast.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You've lost 30 pounds in 90 days? You're probably hungry because you're not eating enough.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    It's hard to help you without seeing your diary or knowing how many calories you are eating each day. But, in general, it simply sounds like you aren't eating enough, or not enough protein, or not enough of something. Your body is trying to tell you something, bottom line, something about your diet needs to change.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    try adding some protein too. maybe you could cut back on the oatmeal a little and add some eggs or greek yogurt along with your breakfast.

Agreed. That breakfast you mentioned is almost entirely carbs.

MFP sets protein goals very, very low. You should be aiming for at least half your body weight in protein grams every day, spread across all of your meals.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Fiber isnt the only important component to keeping yourself full- protein can go a long way as well. Try having eggs once or twice a week or mixing peanutbutter into your oatmeal instead of the banana.

Also- I would avoid fruit early on in the day and maybe move it to lunch or post lunch (or only have half in the morning if you can figure that out) I find fruit makes me hungry pretty early on in the day, but boosts me if I have it laterish.

Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You've lost 30 pounds in 90 days? You're probably hungry because you're not eating enough.

Good catch there. You may have your calorie goal set a little low or you may not be eating any of your exercise calories back.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I would introduce some protein to that breakfast. It's also worth noting that there is a difference between soluble fibers and insoluble fibers that might be contributing. Soluble fibers absorb water and take a long time to digest. Insoluble fibers are nearly unchanged by the digestive process and go basically straight through you, adding bulk to your poo. You may be eating more of the insoluble fibers as opposed to the soluble fibers.
    ■Insoluble fiber. This type of fiber promotes the movement of material through your digestive system and increases stool bulk, so it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation or irregular stools. Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.
    ■Soluble fiber. This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley and psyllium.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033
  • ashxo12
    ashxo12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I am feel hungry ALL DAY LONG! I have been bringing lots of fruit to work with me, eating breakfast in the morning, eating a whole-wheat english muffin with peanut butter mid-afternoon... I cannot stand it!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein keeps you feeling full! And you can try bulking up your meals with lots of veggies!
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    How is it that I can eat a bowl of high-fiber oatmeal and a banana at 7:30 in the morning, followed by a multi-grain English Muffin with peanut butter at 10:00, and STILL my stomach feels like it's eating itself until it's lunchtime?

I joined MFP almost 90 days ago. I've lost 30 pounds and have 25 to go. I am doing great with my diet (and I mean that in the literal sense of the word, so don't get all worked up!): I eat healthy, unrefined foods; I snack all throughout the day on things like yogurt, peanut butter, cheese, fruit, smoothies; I stick to my calorie goal and eat back exercise calories; I've been drinking water like I've got OCD, and I STILL feel hungry most of my day. I am completely confident that I can continue doing this, and I don't ever have the feeling like I am going to cave and eat beyond my goal, but it just seems that, by this point, I shouldn't feel hungry all. day. long.

My diary is private, but I assure you I am eating a healthy, high-fiber diet and that I eat every couple of hours. I'm just wondering if anyone else still often feels hungry throughout the day? Anything that helps you stave it off? I read post after post about people having trouble eating all of their 1200 calories and I'm like... huh???

I might just be the World's Hungriest Girl.

:)

How many calories are you eating a day?
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I also agree about the protein and would like to mention fat as well. Fat goes a long way in keeping us full and perhaps you've fallen into the "low fat" trap? Check your macronutrients and see how you're doing on fat and protein.

Additionally, if you're exercising, you may need to add in a couple hundred calories. That can make quite a difference.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Two things that fill me the most for breakfast are a bowl of kashi go lean with fat free milk, or crunchy peanut butter with honey on whole wheat toast! Maybe if you really are hungry you should up your calories a little bit, seems like you have everything else under control so it couldn't hurt.
  • summer_anne
    Options
    combintation of Fiber AND Protein, and make sure you are eating on the same schedule, at the same times everyday to condition your body. For myself I eat 4 meals a day - every 3 hours.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Definately add some protien! I have a thomas fiber english muffin with an egg and light cheese and I'm good until my snack! Sometimes I eat my snack with my lunch because I'm not hungry at mid moring. I had a high fiber cereal this morning and I'm starving right now!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I, too, agree with others about adding protein to breakfast. If I'm having oatmeal for breakfast, I make sure to eat some kind of meat with it. Sometimes sausages, but usually I grab a few slices of deli ham or turkey. I also eat a greek yogurt around 10 am and it fills me up until noon.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Two things that fill me the most for breakfast are a bowl of kashi go lean with fat free milk, or crunchy peanut butter with honey on whole wheat toast! Maybe if you really are hungry you should up your calories a little bit, seems like you have everything else under control so it couldn't hurt.

Replace the toast with a large cup of coffee with cream (and a little sugar), and that's my breakfast too! If you're not a coffee drinker, Orange juice couples nicely with whole grain for better nutritional absorption... well, that's what I've read from other health-orientated sites. (I just don't care much for Orange juice!)
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of these... I think it's time to up you goal calories... if you haven't adjusted them, and you're continuing to increase your activities to push yourself to get those results... your body is probably in starvation mode!!

I adjusted my goals to 'losing 1.5 lbs per week' which put baseline cals for me at 1340. OMG! What a difference it made! I originally did it because the competition I was in had ended and I didn't care how fast I continued to lose as long as I did... but the first week I had the new goals, I felt better, had more energy through the day, wasn't as starving all the time (I try to eat 300 to 400 cals every few hours to help maintain a consistent fueling/burning ratio), and I actually LOST MORE WEIGHT that week than I had the last month probably, as I had hit the same kinda issue you're talking about.

Eat more... your body will love you for it, after all your already making good food choices, so just add like one more snack or meal!
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advice, guys. I really appreciate it.

As far as protein: I am eating a lot of it. And I'm glad to learn that MFP underestimates my protein need, because I had been spending time figuring out how to cut some out, because I consistently go over it by a lot. If I was going to eat a dinner that had meat or beans, I'd try not to have eggs for breakfast so that I would stay within my range...so I'm glad to hear that I don't need to do that. I usually alternate breakfasts of an English Muffin & peanut butter and eggs, cheese & vegetables in a flax & oat bran wrap. I tried the oatmeal today because I thought it would keep me fuller longer.

As far as the 30 pounds in three months: it's on target with my 2 pound a week goal, so it didn't seem extreme to me. And I lost the first 10 or 12 very quickly at the beginning; I fluctuate between a .5 and 1.5 pound loss every week.

As far as not eating enough: that's probably it. MFP set my goal at 1200 calories for the 2 pound loss, and now that 1200 is supposed to give me a 1.6 pound loss. I'm sure the problem now is that I'm not eating enough. (Even though I FEEL like I'm almost always eating something.) I do always eat back some exercise calories, but never all of them, and that's probably my problem. I typically fall at around 1300 or 1400 a day. On days when I earn 500 exercise calories, it's just a little scary to take the plunge and eat all 1700 calories. But it sounds like that's what I need to do.

I also almost always go a little over on my sugar -- I notice that on days when I have a yogurt AND fruit, I'll go over. But I've cut out sugar in my coffee and almost all processed foods (with the exception of a Weight Watchers ice cream every once in a while).

I've always been a pretty healthy eater...I've just always eaten waaaay too much. (Even when I was eating probably near 3000 a day I was still always hungry. That's what got me here.) I am really trying to perfect my diet and get in shape in the healthiest way possible -- so I appreciate all the advice.

• MuseumMonkey
    Options
    I agree with many of these... I think it's time to up you goal calories... if you haven't adjusted them, and you're continuing to increase your activities to push yourself to get those results... your body is probably in starvation mode!!

I adjusted my goals to 'losing 1.5 lbs per week' which put baseline cals for me at 1340. OMG! What a difference it made! I originally did it because the competition I was in had ended and I didn't care how fast I continued to lose as long as I did... but the first week I had the new goals, I felt better, had more energy through the day, wasn't as starving all the time (I try to eat 300 to 400 cals every few hours to help maintain a consistent fueling/burning ratio), and I actually LOST MORE WEIGHT that week than I had the last month probably, as I had hit the same kinda issue you're talking about.

Eat more... your body will love you for it, after all your already making good food choices, so just add like one more snack or meal!

Quoted For Truth!

I'd also like to add, are you getting enough sleep? I often feel like snacking when I'm tired and I've read that a lack of sleep can cause you to crave carbs, particularly sugar.
  • sctracy
    sctracy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    MuseumMonkey -- No, I am not getting enough sleep! I've started getting up at 5:30 so I can go to the gym before my baby wakes up, and I am not getting to bed anywhere near when I should be. Good point...and something I need to adjust, for sure.

Also -- I understand the whole needing to eat more calories and I am going to up mine. But I'm wondering if calorie intake works on some cumulative level, then? Like, how will eating my full 1700 calories today make that egg, cheese & veggie wrap any more filling for me tomorrow morning? I'm just wondering if some of us are harder to satiate than others. There are some who say that their breakfast keeps them satisfied until lunch and I just can't imagine that...or maybe my body will adjust eventually...