MFP Runner's Club, July 25

Options
Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
No run for me today, but just wanted to start the thread!

Happy Friday, Runners!!!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :happy: :smokin:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Options
    No run for me today, but just wanted to start the thread!

Happy Friday, Runners!!!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :happy: :smokin:
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    am leaving to run 4. have my first tri next weekend...........i hate having to share run time with biking and swimming. am going to push my pace this morning.:wink:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    am leaving to run 4. have my first tri next weekend...........i hate having to share run time with biking and swimming. am going to push my pace this morning.:wink:

Holy cow! Good for you!! :drinker:
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello Fellow Runners!

Just joined this site yesterday and still checking it out - great to see a thread with a common interest. I will be heading out for a smaller run today - probably 3 miles - just wanted to say hello.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club MThurs.

Good morning fellow runners. Did bootcamp today and did a lap at 5:00 am before we got started. I think it may have been a short mile. Nothing major. For bootcamp though we had to do exercises at 4 stations and in between we had to do a forced march/indian run. Part of the march/run was up a big hill so that made it kinda nice.

For those you that don't know what a forced marched/indian run is, it is a where we have to march in a straight line 40 inches front and back of each person. The indian run part is the last person in the line has to sprint to the front and lead the group until the next person comes up. Everyone has a chance to lead the line and everyone has a chance to sprint to the front. :bigsmile:
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Hi Everyone and HAPPY Friday!!!

I have a question which may be stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway and please answer honestly....

Last night I did 45 mins on the elliptical for a distance of 4.25 miles. *Now this is where my inexperience comes in* To me, the elliptical is similar to a running motion without the impact. If first off that notion is wrong, the rest is worthless, but anyway...if I was able to do that time/miles without completely dying, how much harder is it going to be to actually be running???

Sorry if this is confusing and if I am completely wrong in my thinking.

Thanks for your help on this!!!
  • rdhsm
    rdhsm Posts: 16
    Options
    Good Morning!
    I am posting early! Got up at six to run 2.3 miles in the nice 65 degree weather. Will be getting up to 100 degrees today, so needed an early start. Even if it's my day off!
    Have a good one -S
  • Shannon023
    Options

I have a question which may be stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway and please answer honestly....

Last night I did 45 mins on the elliptical for a distance of 4.25 miles. *Now this is where my inexperience comes in* To me, the elliptical is similar to a running motion without the impact. If first off that notion is wrong, the rest is worthless, but anyway...if I was able to do that time/miles without completely dying, how much harder is it going to be to actually be running???

Of course she's gone for 8-days now, but I know Mireille does a elliptical trainer when she can't get out to run. I'm not sure how they compare. :ohwell:

Sounds like perfect running weather, rdhsm! :smile:

If you were up & exercising at 5:00 a.m., Sherry, you rock girl!! :drinker:

&

Welcome MT! :flowerforyou:
  • Theresa35
    Options

Of course she's gone for 8-days now, but I know Mireille does a elliptical trainer when she can't get out to run. I'm not sure how they compare. :ohwell:

Well, of course, the person who might be able to answer my ??? is nowhere to be found....Just my luck...LOL. Oh well. I'll try and remember to ask her when she gets back. Although by then I think I'll have started the couch potato to 5K....can't believe I'm going to give it a shot....:noway:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Theresa: It will be different because a: you don't have a machine helping you (unless you plan to run on the treadmill), and b: the impact is missing. However, if you are doing the couch to 5K, it is a gradual process, and you will grow with it. HTH
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Happy Friday! I took it easy again today and did 2 miles because I wanted to do a bootcamp class that a really awesome instructor was teaching this morning. I love aerobics, but not as much as I love to run because running for me burns more cals in an hour than aerobics. However, when this instructor teaches I end up burning around 600 calories an hour in her class..its awesome! Anyways hope everyone enjoys their day! :smile:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I posted it last night that I mapped out a 6.4 miles course for me to run this morning, and I did it.
    I can't believe it, but that is the same as a 10k.
    I never ran that far even before when I was healthy before I was sick. I had only gone 5.5 miles before. This site is great to really get you motivated!

And I ran at least 6.2 miles of it. Once I started, I ran all the way.
    (My daughter is at a friends this morning, so she didn't go with)

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Theresa35
    Options
    I posted it last night that I mapped out a 6.4 miles course for me to run this morning, and I did it.
    I never ran that far even before when I was healthy before I was sick. I had only gone 5.5 miles before. This site is great to really get you motivated!

HORRAY FOR YOU!!! That is just fantastic. And what's even better...you made up a plan and followed through. You now KNOW you can do it!!! :drinker:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

I would use that time on the machine as a prep the night before a run.
    I find that if I do a good stretching workout the night before a run, (as well as a short warm up just before) it is easier to do so. The impact is much more when you run, but the machine will help keep you kind of loose to recover well from it.

Good job though. Never used one, but heard they are great for a good workout!:flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options

Awesome, SM!!!!! WTG!!!!! :drinker: :heart:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I do elliptical as cross training on my non-run days. It's quite a bit easier than an actual run, and I burn less calories, but it's a good way to do aerobics without the impact. If you went 4.25 miles on the elliptical, you can surely do two or three miles running pretty easily. It also depends on how hard you run.
  • Theresa35
    Options

I do elliptical as cross training on my non-run days. It's quite a bit easier than an actual run, and I burn less calories, but it's a good way to do aerobics without the impact. If you went 4.25 miles on the elliptical, you can surely do two or three miles running pretty easily. It also depends on how hard you run.

WOW, I didn't think it would equate to that much. Guess we'll see....

I'm really pumped now...:tongue:
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have the day off - :drinker: And it is cool outside for a change - :drinker: So I am going to hike the local ski hill with some running spurts mixed in. Really gets the heart going to run up such a steep trail. Then I will probably hit the gym for some weights. Don't want to overdo it because we have a kickball game tonight (and it can actually be quite a workout!)
    Happy Friday!!:flowerforyou:
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Woke up this AM to thunder knocking on the door. :grumble: Oh, well, we needed the rain, and it has cooled off considerably. I just might get outside this afternoon. I have been trying to set aside some money to buy a treadmill so that I can keep running during the winter. Anyone have a favorite that they recommend? I need to keep it affordable, but I don't want to go so cheap that it can't handle the impact. Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

:heart: Christina
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Woke up this AM to thunder knocking on the door. :grumble: Oh, well, we needed the rain, and it has cooled off considerably. I just might get outside this afternoon. I have been trying to set aside some money to buy a treadmill so that I can keep running during the winter. Anyone have a favorite that they recommend? I need to keep it affordable, but I don't want to go so cheap that it can't handle the impact. Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

:heart: Christina

We've been talking about doing the same thing for the winter. I've checked Craig's List & looks like you can get some decent ones for around $200. :smile: