Running Shoes

Options
Any brands you swear by? I have a wide foot at a size 10 womens (at least they're not hairy, lol) and I was wondering what the runners have to say about their shoes. I was going to try C25K again, and I know my Converse just don't have it in them. :)

Replies

• ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store for mine. I'm normally a size 10, but they put me in a size 11 asics, I think. I walk/run strangely also because I'm pigeon toed, but that was the best thing for me. Plus, you don't want to spend a bunch of money only to find out that they're not the best ones for your situation. Good luck. I just finished week 5 of C25k. Love it. :)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm a 10 wide as well :(
    I just bout Asics GT2160, around $99, but SO WORTH IT!

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?
    PRODUCT_ID=240014594&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001549&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=250001547

They have them in a wide and I LOVE them!! They are stability shoes, which works well for me because I have one flat foot.
    The shoe guy also told me an 8 in mens is the same as a 10 wide in women's.
  • KellyEsparza
    Options
    I went to a running store too. I was also put into Asics, a size bigger than I usually wear (you're supposed to have more room in your shoe when you run because your feet tend to swell). It's really important to get the right kind of shoe for your foot type too. Here is one site that might help: http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks. But I also went to a running store and they watched me run on a treadmill to see how my feet work, if I overpronate, etc. I would highly recommend this and then buy the shoes that they recommend FROM THEM. After that, you will know what you need and can shop around. It's just the right thing to do. :)
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally love my Saucney shoes!!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yep Saucony for me too! Love them!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My running shoe size is a 15EE. I have wide feet with normal arches and when I look for shoes I feel hopeless sometimes, no kidding. Therefore I always go to a running store to be properly fitted, every single time. Most time I act as I've never been fitted before so they don't try to cut corners with me.

I've used Brooks Beast, Nike Structure and Mizuno's. All of them have suited my feet well. Each manufacturer does it their way so it's best to find a store with a big selection (and the knowledgeable staff, which is why it needs to be a specialty running store) and actually try on several models. Each one will feel a little different on your foot when you're jogging up and down the sidewalk testing them.

Then, it's easy to pick the one that's best for you.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    go to a running store and have your feet fitted for the proper shoe, it's not just size and width its gait and stride.. makes a big difference.
  • aleeroley
    aleeroley Posts: 14
    Options
    I swear by Asics for X-training/road runner shoes, and love New Balance for track shoes.
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    I guess a trip to Portland is in order.... Thanks. I didn't even know running stores existed.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My footsies require a little width and extra support so I use New Balance sneakers with Spenco orthotic supports.
    Folks I work with who run really like either Saucney (sp?) or Asics.
    Your best bet is to go to a nice shoe store or running supply place and make sure you're properly sized for a shoe that really fits your needs and goals. It can be expensive but totally worth it!
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yep. I didn't either. Who knew. :) When I ran in my Nike's though, that weren't right for my feet, I would get shin splits and I didn't run right.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ya if your gonna run on a regular basis, make sure to get fitted for the proper size and stride....asics for exampl has several different shoes, and they are all for different reasons, some are for over-pronators, some are for under-pronators....

but i would go with asics, they are awesome
  • KellyEsparza
    Options
    Yup I had terrible knee pain and after visiting the sports chiropractor (yes they do running injuries too) he took one look at the old worn out shoes I was running in and told me the first thing I needed to do was get a good pair of running shoes.