C25K Week 7 help

Options
I just finished my last week 7 workout which means I've now done four 25 min runs and it's not getting any easier. The first 18-20 mins are fairly comfortable, but in those last 5-7 mins my HR gets up over 180 (usually 185-190). I end up panting and lightheaded and two of those runs have had to stop and catch my breath. I don't know if I should decrease my speed, which I hate to do because it's already slower than the pace I used to keep, or try repeating week 7 again at the same pace. I've been using the same walk/run speeds the entire program without issue, this week just seems to be kicking my butt. Then again I had 3 nights in a row of next to no sleep this week so maybe that's part of the reason why? WWYD?

Replies

• _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I would say repeat week SIX and improve yourself on that week, then move it up to week seven once you feel confident. You don't want your HR getting that high(of course)!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your speed.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should start out slower and build up to a pace that's more comfortable. I haven't done the C25K program, but I did start back running in January after a 17 year hiatus..I started out just attempting 7 tenths of a mile and slowly built up to 3 miles. I've now run three 5K races, in the last two months, with my best time at 34:41..this may be slower than you're used to, I don't know. But, my point, at the races, there are always these people who just take off like a bullet at the start..they stop after a mile or so and walk, then start again at that fast pace, walk again, etc...I end up passing them, eventually, at my slower, consistent pace and actually beat them to the finish. And I run the whole time. My goal is to finish under 30 minutes. I'm getting there slowly, but surely. Good luck, hope this helps a little.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! If I were outside running I'd probably be going at a slower pace so maybe I should just back off. It's just so frustrating! I used to do 5Ks on a treadmill at a 5.7 mph pace (I could never sustain the 10 min mile pace and that annoyed me) and I've been doing 5.5 recently. I could try repeating week 6, but the interval runs are 8 and 10 mins and I can do those no problem. Week 6 was a breeze, minus the D3 25 min run.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started finding difficulty around then, too. My average speed (I run outside) is 5mph. I try and keep it at that. I did notice that one time I sped up without thinking about it to a 5.3mph average and ended up SO tired and I had to stop. Perhaps slow down by a couple of tenths mph to 5.3 or something. It might make a lot of difference to your endurance.

Looking back at my running diary on womensrunning.co.uk, I attempted Week 6 Day 3 and had to redo it the day after, because I didn't complete it. I also attempted Week 7 day 1 but didn't complete that (only just). I didn't redo it though, I just pushed on with day 2 two days later.