what makes this time different?

mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
edited September 25 in Chit-Chat
i know alot of us myself included have been at this thing over and over for years, so what is it about this time around that says this is when the change is gonna be made? of course mfp is a major major part, i'm addicted to this site horribly so i have to workout hard to get those kudo's and i've learned so much here... i think the most important part for me has been learning what to eat as i've never had a problem exercising but my eating habits were horrible and now i notice a difference when i eat good foods as opposed to junk.. plus the fear of looking like my uncles pushes me hard.. all of them got married and got pregnant with triplets it seems lol i am determined not to look that way... what about all you wonderful folks

Replies

• bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    this time is different for me because it's now or never. i have also become addicted to the site and love how i can now honestly and easily keep track of my food/meal plans. i absolutely hate working out in a gym doing the same thing over and over drives me insane! i have been trying to figure out what works best for me when it come to exercising and enjoying it. exercise has to be stealth for me! lol Good luck to all. And congrats on losing 30 pounds that's my goal!! :)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5041727.png[/url]
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Add me to the ranks of the addicts...haha! I am doing this because I'm tired of being tired and I know my family deserves more of me. I want to be able to enjoy my kids! This is it for me....there is no turning back!
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    I actually wrote a blog on this subject today. Sort of.

I have been on and off diets for years. I do well and then I hit a plateau, get discouraged and quit. This time I started out for the wrong reason (a competition at work) but soon realized it is MY LIFE I am dealing with. My mom is slightly overweight, my sister is more than slightly overweight and I have cousins who are into the 300's. I am not nearly 300 but I don't want to be there either.

My motivation now is the way I look. I am disgusted by the way I look right now. My stomach needs some serious work. I have more than 50# to go but I am determined this time to change my life, not just go for a quick fix that results in gaining the weight back.

EDITED TO SAY: I am definitely a MFP addict! It is an amazing site full of knowledge and personal experiences.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    i don't know what made it different this time. but i've never had this much to lose, i've never been as fat as i was in my life after having my kids.

i've tried to start a few times over the last 5 years since my first child, and failed. i hate to put the blame of my partner, but i think we were sabotaging each other... but he is doing it with me this time (we go to different gyms, so we aren't holding hands, but we are both on our journey at the same time, and we're both committed), and it's working, when he wasn't doing it, it was so much harder not to weaken and pig out.

so i guess the partnership, the mutual positivity, the both feeling better about ourselves and treating our selves better and each other better all contributes greatly, as does the honesty, finally i tell him what i weigh, and don't keep secrets about my weight or my clothes sizes. and i guess the fact that he's lost over 20kg so far this year, makes me feel like i need to keep going to acheive my goal too.

i've told him now that he has to stick with it through the winter, so i don't weaken (winter is the worst for me usually).
  • mufiey
    mufiey Posts: 38
    ive always done everything for everyone else this time im doing this for no one but myself. my knees are bad and im afraid Ar i get older i want be able to get around if i don't loose the weight. ive never kept a diary b4 so that is helping a lot! love this site
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    A few things made this time different for me:

1. I weighed more than I did when I delivered my daughter. :embarassed: That's pretty ridiculous being the fact that I'm' not pregnant lol..

2. My fat clothes turned into my skinny clothes

3. My mom was diagnosed with diabetes when she was in her mid thirties.. being as I'm closer to the 30 side then the 20 side now it seems all the more real. I do NOT want that to be me.

4. I'm a nurse and how can I tell my patients that they should do this, do that for their health when they're looking at me like "I know fatty, you should do it too". I don't want to be a hypocrite!

5.This time it's not just about vanity. I actually want to be stronger, healthier and more resillient!:bigsmile:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    This time it's different because it's not a "diet" that I'm doing. I'm not restricting things I enjoy eating. It really is a lifestyle change and learning to make healthy decisions around life's obstacles (birthdays, outings with friends, stress, etc.)

Yes, I'm addicted to MFP too...NEVER have i had this much support!
  • What did it for me was basically, the simple fact that diabetes, high blood pressure and chronic heart failure has plagued my family for generations, along with the fact that my mom died almost 4 1/2 yrs ago at the age of 58 from chronic heart failure due to complications of diabetes. I don't want to be a part of that family saga, and it's more than enough for me to get it right. I don't have any health issues or concerns and I would like to keep it that way. All of my numbers are excellent except the number on the scale and that's what I'm working on. Luckily for me I am a pear shape and tend to carry the majority of my weight in my hips, thighs and butt. This is my year of NEW beginnings that will keep me empowered for the rest of my life. MFP has been an excellent and resourceful tool in accomplishing my goals. I don't necessarily look at the scale but more so the transformation that I am seeing in the mirror and in my clothes. That speaks volumes for me. Good luck on your journey just as you have done thus far. You've done an OUTSTANDING job! ~stay blessed.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Whats different this time? EVERYTHING! :flowerforyou:

This time it is significantly different because I have used up every worn out excuse in the book and I am tired of being in denial about doing what has to be done, I dont have any more excuses left, nor do I want them. It is do or die time figuratively and literally, My health is at risk as well as the quality of my life in the future. I am not one to be told what to do and this body is not going to dictate to me failure as an option! Heck no I wont go - down without a fight!!

I am not doing this for anyone but me this time. I want my family and friends to be relieved to know I am healthy again and they dont have to worry as they do about me but this isnt for them. Its not for my daughter but if I make her happy and proud so be it. Its not for the love of a man, if he is the right man he already loves me either way. But its for me and my enjoyment of my entire life experience which until I do something to change has been lacking. I want it all now, not just half a life but all I can experience and I am no longer willing to accept living in a body that imposes stiffling and strict limits on those experiences.

Do I sound excited? I am! Do I feel hungry? You bet! I am hungry but no longer for food. I am hungry for the lust of a life, my life to be lived to the fullest that this unfit body can not provide for me. I want to feel the joy of success at the accomplishment of facing my demons, temptations, stresses and fears head on and know that they no longer control or defeat me. I do not even need to control them thats how unimportant they now are, I just dont allow them power over me.

Nothing can control you if you simply change your own mind and do not allow it power over you, its not the same as will power. I dont allow my mind to force me to eat something I dont need. I do not give it the power to talk me into it. That little voice inside your head is like being your own private bully , its trying to force you to do something you know is bad for you by saying eat this it will make it all better, it is a lie! I dont fall for it any more. I tuned it out, I refused to listen and you know what, it finally shut up.

My very essense, my deeper inner soul has known the truth all along and now that my inner scared little bully has been silenced once and for all, I can hear my true spirit talking. I know I only need healthy food for nutrition and not to feed everything else going inside my silly little mind.

You cant run from your feelings not matter what they maybe. You cant hide beneath the weight, everyone still sees what you dont want too. I am so glad I finally opened my eyes. Eating unhealthy for me now is just not doable because I know it had been done out of fear of everything from failing to winning, and I am not afraid anymore of living. It was out of fear that I've remained the same for so long, now the pain of staying the same, outweighs any fear of change.

I want to try everything I had been too scared to do before, I am excited to be alive and to get a second chance and changing my life for the better. The past is gone. I have been there, done that, time to move on. In a year or so from now.. I want to happily be the one posting my before and after photos saying confidently YES this can be done and I am a normal person just like everyone else, I did it and I won!

I am ready to embrace change- bring it- game on!

Best Wishes to ALL!

Laura
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    I'm not so sure that this time is any different. I seem to following my usual path.....3 months in.....frustrated......losing steam....again.....:huh:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    This time is different because I'm not dieting.
  • This is a fantastic topic!!!! I've tried over and over again to lose weight but I always got lost or distracted but now I want to start the new part of my life as a whole new person !!! Before I had this same goal but losing weight now fulfills a long long long time dream of mine and its been 2 1/2 weeks so far and I lost 9 pounds and seeing that makes me wantro move hahaha
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    This time is different for me because I need this so bad in my life right now. I am turning 27 in 2 weeks & have started questioning everything in my life lately as my body might be young but my heart feels old. I've had a rough run throughout the years & have decided that I'm taking my life back in every way possible. No more feeling sad/mad at my size or feeling like I have to keep myself from having fun because I'm too self conscious to wear certain things in public (i.e. swim suits to go to water parks, etc.). No more relationships that cause distress. No more doing things or not doing things to make other people happy even though it's not what I want. I'm doing a total over-haul here. I'm on a mission to find me
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    This time is different because I'm not dieting.

Love it
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Not real sure. This time I am not in a rush to lose the weight. I don't have any specific events to lose it for. I don't have any serious medical conditions prompting me to lose it. I am not all jazzed up about some new fangled diet plan. It's just time. I started out with a visit to my doctor for a physical (everything perfect, just fat) and got a referral to a nutritionist and dietician. Got my eatting habits under control (meal skipper for years), lost 8 pounds and then found MFP. I have never been addicted to anything, but I am to MFP.
This discussion has been closed.