Meal replacement Shake!!???

Options
Quick question, What do you guys think and how do you feel about Meal replacement shakes???? I bought P90x and im thinking of buying the shakes to replace a meal,just wanted some input please!!!!!!!

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes (meal replacement I suppose) as post-workout snacks or if I am in a hurry in the morning and want something portable for breakfast. I wouldn't use them as "two shakes a day and a reasonable dinner" or anything because once you start eating real food I would imagine it wouldn't end well. Just my two cents though.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    IMO real food is always better because your body has to work harder to digest it and it's more natural. But, shakes are great if you just don't have the time for a regular meal, etc. For me personally, I am not satisfied after drinking anything, no matter what I put in it; I need to chew to be satisfied! My hubby on the other thand, would rather drink every meal and not be bothered by chewing!

Edit to add:
    I do use a shake post workout or if extra protein is needed. But, it's more of a supplement than a meal replacement. I found this website for p90x help: http://myp90xnutritionplan.com/ I read that you can make your own recovery shake and they provide lots of different recipes and options. The main factor is that the post workout shake should have a carb/protein ratio of 4/1. We make our shakes with berries, banana and just a little whey protein. YUM!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you eat 5-6 times a day, it's a great option in terms of getting good nutrition in a quick and simple manner. My personal feeling is that it's best to still have at least 3 meals of "real food" every day, and then use supplements for the rest depending on time/planning/scheduling.

I've been using Myoplex (23g carb, 42g protein; 280 cal) for a while. I just ordered from ON Natural Oats & Whey to try as an alternative because I am looking to make the switch to no artificial sweeteners.
  • grfrounfelker
    Options
    I am on the HMR program and use 3 shakes per day with other foods. I couldn't make it without my shakes. Look for a good healthy one or maybe check out the HMR website and try the 120 chocolate or vanilla.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I am a beachbody coach .... And i am a big fan of the Shakeology shakes. Either as a meal repalcement or a snack. I use one everyday. Mine is mostly for a PM snack. Chocolate is by far my favorite
  • Shellndub
    Shellndub Posts: 72
    Options
    I love my EAS whey protein shakes. I drink one every morning for breakfast and even sometimes later for one of my 6 meals. I feel full but not bloated or heavy feeling. I love it!! Highly recommend a protein shake. Do your research on numbers and get referrals on taste too.,
    Good luck :-)
  • k8washko
    k8washko Posts: 8
    Options
    I find a shake beneficial when I've already had too many calories for the day, but haven't yet had dinner. The only thing I hate about the shakes is I'm hungry again an hour later.
  • buckigirl
    buckigirl Posts: 10
    Options
    I use them on nights that I have a game to play to take with me. I like them and if you get the right ones they are good. They are high in protein which is good if you are exercising often. My favorite is the Muscle Milk (light) chocolate. It taste the best in my opinion.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your body digests liquids differently than it does solids. You'll get hungry faster because the liquid is digested and absorbed much more quickly. That usually leads to eating more than you'd planned. A lot of those shakes try to compensate for this by adding lots of fiber. That has a completely different effect on your body and you'll probably find yourself in the bathroom much more often.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, it is a meal replacement shake but I drink it as a snack
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Shakeology, hands down. I used to drink EAS every morning until my friend lent me some Shakeology. Haven't looked back in over a year.

Here's a good comparison of it vs Slim Fast:
    http://personalfitnessathome.com/development/AllStarDocs/ShakeologyVSSlimFast.html

For more info you can go to the Shakeology site itself. shakeology.com
  • Rocknsynchrogrl
    Options
    I do a shake in the morning when I don't have time to cook breakfast. I find that when I try to substitute them for more than one meal a day, I tend to over eat at dinner because I am so hungry. They are really great when you are really busy and don't have time to think about eating, but so you have something in your system to keep your metabolism going.
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    I personally can't stomach breakfast. Eating in the morning makes me nauseous, but I can handle a shake. The rest of the day I eat regular meals. It helps so much and I don't have a problem with feeling hungry till lunch.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Quick question, What do you guys think and how do you feel about Meal replacement shakes???? I bought P90x and im thinking of buying the shakes to replace a meal,just wanted some input please!!!!!!!

I say definitely go with Shakeology they are so yummy!!! Also contact your coach he/she may be able to show you how to get a discount.