Isn't there just a "miricale" !?

Options
Am I missing some big secret to weight loss? What actually just DOES it? Drinking water?Diet pills,with diet and exercise?Whatching sodium?Or calories?

I just started my journey to weight loss a week ago, and I know it'll be a few weeks before I see results. I excersise three times a week, and watch my diet. but what do I need to actually watch? And how is everyone seeing weight loss so fast? :/

Replies

• doodles80
    doodles80 Posts: 59
    Options
    There is no miracle unless you think that the horrendously simple mantra of "LESS IN, MORE OUT" is a miracle.

Eat less and better stuff and move more - thats all there is to it! It just takes time so stick with it - there is no instant fix. It has taken me 2 and a half months to lose 15 pounds but i know i have done it sensibly and it will stay off!

Good luck and be patient
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Hard work, watching what you eat, and consistency are the keys :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No secret- eat fewer calories than you burn. I don't really pay much attention to anything other than calories (although I try to not have too much fat per day, but I don't notice sodium, etc.), and try to drink at least 8 8oz servings of water per day. Exercise allows you to lose more or to eat more. MFP will set your calories for you once you say how much you move on a regular basis and how much you want to lose...... It's safe to lose up to 2 pounds a week- I've lost 35 since October, so it's not fast, but it's worth it to stick with it! Just try to be under your calorie goal each day. Good luck!
  • buckigirl
    buckigirl Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't stress...eat healthy and keep up the exercise and before you know it the weight will just be falling off. Hang in there...it isn't something that happens over night.
  • doodles80
    Options
    p.s i have been been amazed at how little food i have needed to survive on a daily basis. I have more than halved my intake. Some days I struggle to fill 1200 calories. Over eating is a habit, thats all.

If you want to lose 2 pounds a week usually 1200 cals is a good marker. Be careful of your fat and your carbs if you are not exercising but as you are that should be fine
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no miracle to it. In my experience it's exercise, discipline, nutrition and PERSISTENCE!!!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    No miracle, just a lot of hard work. That is why I admire anyone who loses weight the 'right' way as opposed to 'cheating' as I like to call it.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Am I missing some big secret to weight loss? What actually just DOES it? Drinking water?Diet pills,with diet and exercise?Whatching sodium?Or calories?

I just started my journey to weight loss a week ago, and I know it'll be a few weeks before I see results. I excersise three times a week, and watch my diet. but what do I need to actually watch? And how is everyone seeing weight loss so fast? :/

Best thing I've figured out to do is DO NOT RELY OR COUNT ON THE SCALE! Take measurements! The scale will fluctuate (especially if you're a chronic weigher) and you'll find yourself getting discouraged, BUT.... if you see those inches melting... that's the best! : )
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think the miracle is how little you can change before weight starts coming off! I started just tracking what I ate, not changing what or how much, and not exercising, just tracking, and that alone caused me to eat less and less! Once I added exercising and eating healthier, the weight just poof! disappeared! I've lost 20 pounds since mid January. Keep at it, it gets easier I promise!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No way- there is only hard work and determination. 13 months with MFP and 123 lbs lost. No magic pill here. Stick with the program, fuel you body and eat enough, and work out hard!! Off to do my 5K run now (went from over 300 lbs to a runner in a years time)
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "diet" that works because "diets" have beginnings and ends. You need to change your daily eating habits and the way you think about food and exercise for good. Than you will have the tools to have a healthy diet for the rest of your life. Make sense?

Just remember, you can do anything you put your mind to. As corny as it sounds the miracle weight loss secret is inside if you, you just need to have the power to make it happen.

Good luck!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You aren't trying to lose very much, and are already quite slim. This means that the lbs will come off more slowly.

Don't take diet pills, focus on getting the right amounts of the right foods. Working out is great but MFP already has a deficit built in for you, so don't overdo it--it's just not necessary. Try to keep your sodium low, eat a lot of protein early on in the day to help keep you full. Drink your water because it helps your body process the food you eat.

But most of all try not to stress completely. If it all seems overwhelming, try one change at a time- limit the number of times you go out during the week, challenge yourself to get 3 raw or steamed veggies in a day (stuff slathered in cheese or butter not counting :smile: )

Don't worry, take it slow, take the time to research things before believing them and step by step build a healthier life for yourself.
  • doodles80
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "diet" that works because "diets" have beginnings and ends. You need to change your daily eating habits and the way you think about food and exercise for good. Than you will have the tools to have a healthy diet for the rest of your life. Make sense?

Completely agree... its a lifestyle change forever, else you will just put it all back on again. I changed my mind set this time around which has helped me no end
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    The key? Don't think of it as "hard work". "Hard work" makes you tired and burns you out. Discipline, however, gets you to a happy goal.

If you're new to the "exercise" thing, don't stress. Find something you like and you're likelier to stick to it. If you hate the idea of a gym membership then don't waste your money. You'll never use it. Maybe you're the "at-home-cardio-video" type (NetFlix has them or YouTube). Maybe you like gym equipment, but hate the idea of going to the gym - keeps your eyes open on Craigslist for cheap equipment (and check the reviews before buying). Some Salvation Armys have gym equipment, too. And yard sale season is RIGHT around the corner.

And then there's always old-fashioned walking. Before I had roux-en-y I would walk 2 miles every day for a couple months and I dropped about 40 pounds (then I got pregnant and failed). How did I find time to do that? I rode the bus home from work to the stop that was two miles from my apartment. :-)

But the MOST important thing is to find something that YOU created. Some schedule or plan. Win or fail you have to take responsibility for the outcome.