Why am I starving?

Options
I do great all day. Then by the time I get out of work i am starving. Maybe it is because I know i am not eating dinner until about 7 pm?? Honestly ive done everything. Small snack before I leave work but I just seem to be so hungry to the point that I will binge when i get home. (my bf gets home at 7 and i wait for him to eat) i dont know what to do. I have sufficient calories. around 1500 for the day. i end my workday with about 500-550 so I know i am eating enough. and i eat protein carb combinations. i dont know whats going on. i just end up being mad at myself.

Replies

• thisisjulz
    Options
    I have this same problem too. I am thinking its a mental thing because you have a habit of snacking. At least that's what i'm telling myself. LOL Good luck!
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue and it is only my second day of diet tracking! Maybe some of the experienced people here can help. I get really hungry around 4:30/5:00 pm and it seems like a small snack barely even takes the edge off. I wanted to save 650 calories for dinner tonight, but I was starving so I just now had a snack and now I have just under 500 calories left for dinner. And I'm still hungry! I would eat an earlier dinner but I have a husband and three kids and we like to have dinner as a family when everybody is home.

I'm eating roughly 1800 calories per day, based on a 1 lb per week weight loss.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm hungry and don't want to over-eat, I go for a short 10-20 minute walk or do some other type of exercise and then drink 500 ml of water. If need-be I'll even add 1-3 tsp of psyllium husks (raw fiber) to help satisfy me without all the calories, fat, sugar, sodium, etc. You might even consider eating 5-10 prunes and drink a large glass of water after a quick walk (again, lots of fiber).
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    It sounds like your evening snacking is a habit. Try changing your whole evening routine and see if you can break it!
  • dprainey
    dprainey Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? That seems to help me the most. Alternatively, go for low fat, high fiber, high protein snack late in the afternoon.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat a late dinner also and I am usually very hungry when I get home and I still have to fix dinner. It is so hard to not grab a handful of chips or something while cooking dinner. So I usually try to eat pickles because they are 0 calories and that helps cut down on my hunger while I wait for dinner to cook. Just don't eat bread and butter pickles unless they are the Vlasic ones made with Splenda, or you'll be eating calories. Hope this helps! Good Luck!:smile:
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Can you spread your calories out more during the day so you've got room for a little larger snack? Or what about a later lunch. And are you eating foods with plenty of good fiber and protein? And try to drink more water - that usually keeps me feeling full.

7:00 is late for dinner (for me) - I'd be starving too!!
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water. You might think your hungry but you might just be thirsty. Works for me especially when I know I just ate and 5 minutes later my stomach is grumbling...I drink water and it goes away. I think our bodies are getting the hunger/thirsty signals messed up. For me I used to eat all the time..hungry or not so my body is now just trying to filter the right signals to the right thing. Hope that made sense lol
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Check to be sure the foods you're eating have a low glycemic index. Foods with a high gi (and some of them can be surprising like carrots or bananas) tend to make you hungrier. Low gi foods will keep you full longer.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way...as long as I'm not at home, I am fine. As soon as I get home, I want to eat everything in sight...and I shouldn't be hungry. I just ate way more than I care to admit. Some days I can resist and other days I can't. :(
  • KirinaKay
    Options
    I've found that when I get the urge to snack a few glasses of water quickly squelch the hunger. When I drink water steadily throughout the day I usually don't snack much, if at all, between meals. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    I find eating something like broccoli or cauliflower in the afternoon as a snack helps to minimize my appetite both at dinner and after.... it really gives you a 'full' type feeling. Further, when I think I want something after dinner, I asked myself the reasons why I want it... usually I can realize, it wasnt hunger at all but more of a need to munch.... And if it is after 8pm I eat nothing... even if I am hungry.