These shoes are made for running....

Options
Hi Everyone! Looking for some advice here. Getting ready to start a running program the beginning of August and wanted to know which shoes might be a good choice. Don't want to spend any more than I have to, but don't want to have injuries either. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Looking for some advice here. Getting ready to start a running program the beginning of August and wanted to know which shoes might be a good choice. Don't want to spend any more than I have to, but don't want to have injuries either. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    go to road runner sports online and check out their fit testing. my husband and i have found it fairly accurate and they have a run guarantee that if they don't work out after 30 days you can still send them back. i prefer asics gel nimbus (the X's are the bomb).
    good luck.
    remember when you start not to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week.
    hope this helps.
  • Theresa35
    Options
    Thanks for the site info, I will check it out!
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    once you find a pair you like- I suggest buying another pair and switching them out everytime. I mark mine and then trade them so they only get used every other day. It keeps your shoes lasting longer and helps with injury. Also get good socks- they are $$ but sooo worth every penny. Go to a real running store to get them. Local running stores are great resources and usually have running groups as well.

For great deals on shoes, etc- kellysrunningwarehouse.com

have fun with it and dont forget to cross train to prevent injury!
  • Theresa35
    Options
    once you find a pair you like- I suggest buying another pair and switching them out everytime. I mark mine and then trade them so they only get used every other day. It keeps your shoes lasting longer and helps with injury. Also get good socks- they are $$ but sooo worth every penny. Go to a real running store to get them. Local running stores are great resources and usually have running groups as well.

For great deals on shoes, etc- kellysrunningwarehouse.com

have fun with it and dont forget to cross train to prevent injury!

What are good socks??? Is there a certain brand, or material content that I should be looking for???
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would go to a local running store and have one of the people there fit you. They are normally very good and will give you a great shoe.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would go to a local running store and have one of the people there fit you. They are normally very good and will give you a great shoe.
  • diaggirl300
    Options
    Agreed...I work at a run/walk shop and we are trained to evaluate feet, walk patterns, and wear on running shoes. Running shoes typically fall into three categories: cushion neutral, cushion stability, and motion control. Bring in an old pair of tennis shoes or other shoes and talk with the sales associate about any injuries, soreness, or speical needs. Plan to spend some time in the store trying on different shoes and even running/walking outside. It is SO important to have the correct shoes. We recommend changing shoes every six months or 400-600 miles. Alternating shoes between runs is a good idea to extend the life of the shoe.
    The Balaga socks seem to be our most popular brand of socks. Most important is that you do not wear cotton socks as they may cause blisters. Select a technical sock that wicks away moisture. Most running stores will carry socks that are appropriate for running.
  • mlillie
    Options
    yes- first pair of socks and shoes at local store- ours has a treadmill so you can try them out on it. They will be a great resource for you. They will have you try on lots of brands and it may take a little time but it will be totally worth it. You may end up spending a little bit of money but again...worth every penny. The socks I use are about $10-$15 a pair and I tried to scrimp on them once and buy a cheaper pair but that was a big mistake because my feet got blisters. I dont do that anymore. I use my shoes and socks only for running. It helps them to last longer.

I
  • mlillie
    Options
    you may want to check out this running store- it may be near to you and better than a foot locker, etc.

http://www.runnersforum.com/