Other people and your name.

Options

Replies

• cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    My last name is Love. People always ask how to spell it. Is there more than one way?
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Mine is Kylia . Pronounced KILA. My mom didn't like four letter names and I was named after my dad, Kyle. I have just about given up when it comes to pronunciation or spelling. I answer to Kayla, Karla, Kowla, Kiley, Kyle, Once pronounced most people like it and say it is beautiful. I like having an odd name most days! Others I just roll my eyes, and go with the flow!

LOL. My wife and kids names are very close just like your family's. Sharla, Shayla, Shayna, Shaylee. I alway get the names mixed up.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    my last name is unusual, though not exceptionally so. there are two variations of it here in america, so sometimes people pronounce or spell it with an O instead of a U. mostly it just confuses people, cuz my last name is hispanic (my parents are mexican-americans), but i am so excessively white that no one gets me having a mexican name.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    All the frickin' time! My name is Arielle, pronounced ar-ee-elle. It means "Lioness of God" and I get a lot of R.E.O. Speedwagon and Little Mermaid jokes. People pronounce it Air-ee-ull or Air-ee-ella. I've also gotten Ariana and others related.

Also, my last name is Ippolito. Ipp-uh-lee-toh. I've gotten Ip-poh-toh, Ipp-uh-loh-tee, Ipp-pall-it-toh and so many others that don't even LOOK like it could be my last name.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My name is Misty. The silliest thing I get, and I get it a lot, is Melissa? No it's just Misty. Oh so is it short for Michelle? No it is really just Misty. You mean like the weather? *face palm* Suuuuuure like the weather. :ohwell:
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Jessica is my name and after I meet someone they usually call me Jennifer 5 min later!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    My name is Misty. The silliest thing I get, and I get it a lot, is Melissa? No it's just Misty. Oh so is it short for Michelle? No it is really just Misty. You mean like the weather? *face palm* Suuuuuure like the weather. :ohwell:

you should say no like the song
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    All the frickin' time! My name is Arielle, pronounced ar-ee-elle. It means "Lioness of God" and I get a lot of R.E.O. Speedwagon and Little Mermaid jokes. People pronounce it Air-ee-ull or Air-ee-ella. I've also gotten Ariana and others related.

Also, my last name is Ippolito. Ipp-uh-lee-toh. I've gotten Ip-poh-toh, Ipp-uh-loh-tee, Ipp-pall-it-toh and so many others that don't even LOOK like it could be my last name.

Do you get asked questions about the Lil Mermaid? :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a surgeon ... Dr Richard Head ... and NO im not kidding!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    besides having 2 first names my middle name is Fitzgerald so it's John Fitzgerald Blake must have been an Irish Catholic thing cause I was born in 67
  • geekgrrl84
    Options
    My name is Erin, which is pretty simple and very common for us 80's kids. There are people who still try to spell Aaron though. I have yet to meet another Erin (or Eryn for that matter) that I like... I swear it's not because I'm being territorial about the name either!
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    My maiden name was Smiley. No one believed it was my name.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    Well in my family almost every girl has a double name. I don't know how or why it happened but hey- whatever.

My name is Sara-Jane

one obvious thing that people do is spell the sara with an H.

but MORE COMMONLY when i introduce myself to someone as Sara-Jane and am shaking their hand they will go "mary jane?" or "hhehe Mary Jane" while they make a stoner face. or "hehe. MaryJane like MJ, like spiderman." OR theyll go "oh SaraJane! like Dr. WHO??!"

in actuality i was named after a bluegrass song. is has nothing to do with spiderman, dr. who, or marijuana.

i will say though, that despite the routine i end up going through I think i have a very pretty name and that it suits me well.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My maiden name was a crazy German name O_o

Thank god I married a man with a Spanish name. Much easier.
  • Hannahrenee86
    Options
    My name is Hannah .. but it is pronounced Hah-nah. No one ever gets it right. It is Czech. My maiden name is simple German (Beck) and my married name is so common(Jones).
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    bump
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My maiden name was a crazy German name O_o

Thank god I married a man with a Spanish name. Much easier.

coming from MN I could probably prononuce your German name better then your Spanish name :wink:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My last name starts with a hard O but everyone seems to make it into the AU sound or add and L after the O when spelling it. (My last name is very uncommon I am pretty sure you have to be releated to me some how to have it).
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Me an my brother and sisters names all start with J Julie Jason Jeanette we are all 3 years apart and all the same astological sign.
    when my mom would get really mad at one of us she would always mix up our names and still does to this day lol
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My name is Cassandra. Not too difficult, you can hear all the letters that are in it. I've seen is spelled a million ways, mainly with a "K" and one "s", but it gets mixed up with so many other names its unbelievable. I've been called everything from Sandra to Lasandra, and this one time, the guy kept calling me Katrina and Katina. It was so annoying, after correcting him like 3 times in the same conversation I just gave up. "Katrina?" "Cassandra." "Oh, I'm sorry, Katrina let me ask you a question..." "It's Cassandra, not Katrina." "Oh, I didn't hear you correctly sorry Katina...." Grrrr!!!! :angry: