Alcohol for dieters

Options
Ok , we like to drink one day a week on the weekends, and I am a real fan of coconut rum ex malibu, or Admiral nelsons. I actually can drink the 1 bottle by my self which contains 1700 calories. I need some kind of alcohol that is not so high in calories. I am not a big fan of beer so I don't think I would like that 55 beer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I usally mix my rum with diet 7 up.

Replies

• nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    vodka or wine would be your best bet!
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    shots are the way to go. only 70 calories per shot of tequila :)
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wine has a good calorie to volume ratio, and is so yummy :)
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Im not a big drinker, but I do like margaritas and other massive calorie fruity drinks. I had some Skinny Girl Margarita, and it was pretty decent on the calories and it was really good!
  • o_brown1
    o_brown1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im with you! So i want to know myself, bc, I myself like to drink :drinker:
  • lilkeens
    lilkeens Posts: 9
    Options
    grey goose and soda water with extra lemons is the best, lightest drink you can order or make! Enjoy!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    vodka and tequila are low in calories.

The issue with alcohol is not so much about calories but the effect it has on your metabolism...it slows it down...way down. So all the work you did with the exercise to rev up your metabolism is undone with the drinking. Now don;t get me wrong, every now and then, maybe once per month, I have tequila or vodka on ice with a splash of crystal light.
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ok , we like to drink one day a week on the weekends, and I am a real fan of coconut rum ex malibu, or Admiral nelsons. I actually can drink the 1 bottle by my self which contains 1700 calories. I need some kind of alcohol that is not so high in calories. I am not a big fan of beer so I don't think I would like that 55 beer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I usally mix my rum with diet 7 up.
    Malibu has 69 Cal/ ounce, vodka, 64 cal... personally not enough of a difference to switch. I like malibu and club soda. It doesn't add extra calories...
    Honestly, if you are serious about losing weight, and being healthy... you shouldn't be drinking a whole bottle. Drink responsibly, and try and avoid juices and pops as mixes as much as possible.
  • agnes212
    agnes212 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hard Liquor Calories Carbs Per 1.5-oz Serving
    Vermouth 64 calories, 0.4 g carbs
    Coconut Rum 77 calories, 8 g carbs
    Beefeater® Gin 98 calories, 0 g carbs
    Rye Whiskey 104 calories, 0 g carbs
    Scotch Whiskey 104 calories, 0 g carbs
    White Rum 104 calories, 0 g carbs
    Vodka 69 104 calories, 0 g carbs
    Cognac 69 104 calories, 3 g carbs
    Tequila 69 104 calories, 8 g carbs
    Gilbey’s® Gin 119 calories, 0 g carbs

Most wines are 100 calories per 5 oz serving. Stay away from sweet Rum and go for good Vodka and light cranberry coctail or diet soda.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    DANG! You drink a FIFTH of Liquor! Can't NUFFIN help you with that...I know - I used to do that YEARS ago. You are drinking the lowest calorie liquor...rum (about 65 calories per oz.) You will always stay fat if you continue to drink like that or EVEN Half! Alcohol effects your metabolism and other stuff that holds the weight on. If you drinkin' like that, I hate to tell ya but you are a "weekend alcoholic." Don't fool yourself, get HEALTHY...and that is going to mean 1 or 2 drinks (REGULAR SIZE) per week. I hope you the best, you have 2 Journeys!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If I could only drink one "adult beverage" a week, how awesome would that be. I'm sitting here right now just finishing the half bottle of chenin blanc from dinner, which is typical of a weeknight dinner. Maybe that's why I can't shed that last two pounds of fat :laugh:
  • kjtrimmer
    kjtrimmer Posts: 14
    Options
    Champagne!
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    Try drinking wine. 5 ounces is about 100-120 calories. And if you end up drinking a whole bottle, approximately 750 ml (so about 26 ounces), you have consumed about 500 - 600 calories. Just avoid fortified wines (like port) and very sweet wines (moscato/riesling) which have higher calorie counts due to higher alcohol content/sugar content.

Also, a shot of alcohol is 1.5 oz, not 1 oz. A lot of people (myself included) make the mistake of thinking that a shot glass only has 1 oz in it, and severely underestimate the calories of their favorite cocktails. So shots of hard liquor (80 proof and above of distilled liquor) have about 97 calories and up per shot. Liqueurs (Kahlua, Bailey's, etc) have more calories because of the higher carbs amounts from sugar.

If you find yourself able to consume liquor quicker than you would like when combined with a mixer, try drinking it straight. It may take you longer to consume. I can knock back 4 rum and diets in the time it takes me to sip a single shot of Don Julio 1942.
  • Lacey9693
    Lacey9693 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    DANG! You drink a FIFTH of Liquor! Can't NUFFIN help you with that...I know - I used to do that YEARS ago. You are drinking the lowest calorie liquor...rum (about 65 calories per oz.) You will always stay fat if you continue to drink like that or EVEN Half! Alcohol effects your metabolism and other stuff that holds the weight on. If you drinkin' like that, I hate to tell ya but you are a "weekend alcoholic." Don't fool yourself, get HEALTHY...and that is going to mean 1 or 2 drinks (REGULAR SIZE) per week. I hope you the best, you have 2 Journeys!
    [/quote
    Well I've lost 98lbs in 2 years and still going . I think I am doing fine. So I am not fat. Im at a very healthy weight. I have done this twice in a year and that is not considered an alcoholic. I did not ask this question to get bashed. Thank you very much
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I did not mean to offend you, I was trying to offer some advice based on WHAT YOU Said. When I was younger I LOST over 350 lbs. in 1 year via diet and exercise ONLY. I drank very little alcohol. When I reached My wt goal I began drinking "at a good pace" to keep up with friends and just experiencing a new life, because I had never been slim before. I kept the weight off for 10 years (it was a struggle.) Then I looked around and I was back up to 385 lbs., I had NOT regained everything I lost but I regained that weight (over 200 lbs back) in less than a year. One reason I gained is that I drank alcohol...Only on the weekend (Friday or Saturday) and usually heavily. It takes about 3-5 days to get that much alcohol out of one's body, so by the time My Body and MIND were clear, I was drinking again. I did not consider Myself an alcoholic, but I learned that one does NOT have to drink every day to be an alcoholic. The weight cheeped up on Me, no matter what I did...dieting, exercise...IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU!

After years of MISERY, pledging I would DO anything to lose the weight...I was FORCED to lose the weight (SEE, Alcohol and Obesity/Uncontrolled Eating does NOT go together.) Heavy Drinking and UnHealthy Eating is a DEADLY Combination!!! If you drink alcohol (beyond what is "recommended" and you are a Food Addict...The weight WILL RETURN and you will get in a vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting and drinking>>>=illness.

My purpose was NOT to BASH You, I'm NOT into that. My goal was to educate. Have you noticed that a LOT of people who have 25+ pounds to lose are also above average drinkers (and they Yo-Yo Diet)!? They are willing to work on everything else EXCEPT Recognize that the FIRST thing in changing habits and getting and STAYING Healthy and Slim is to LET THE ALCOHOL GO (Do a couple of drinks a week) but heavy alcohol consumption is no joke. BTW, I had an Uncle who only drank ONCE a Year...he was considered an alcoholic, it's NOT just about How MUCH one drinks, but what it DOES to you when you DO Drink. If what I said "Bothers" you, Maybe it's because it touched a nerve. No one could tell Me nothing either about "My drinking," then.
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    This article was very informative (I have no affiliation with this website or its author.) http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html