How do I shrink my skin to match my weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    depending on how much you have to shink you could try a neoprene waist wrap when you do your cardio and your skin has more elasticity if your over hydrated and like everyone else said it takes time.

Good luck
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Time and Skin firming lotions! Bio Oil DOES help fade stretch marks you can also do laser therapy for stretch marks but they are a scar, and unfortunantly they fade but never go away even with laser therapy. Laser therapy just helps break up the scar tissue so they become finer and less noticeable. But I LOVE my Jergens skin firming lotion, twice a day (yeah it gets expensive) but hydrated skin has the most elaticity. Im sure youre already drinking your water so Bio Oil and Skin Firming lotion it up (not at the same time! one in the am one in the pm!)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    It basically boils down to age, how long have you been obese/overweight, if you are a smoker and the biggie is genetics.

It's either going to bounce back or not. I have a FAQ in my blog about it ;)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on genetics and of course how big you were to how big you will be at goal. I read somewhere that sometimes it can take a year after reaching goal for you skin " to catch up" but it doesn't always go back to how it used to be.

I think some people end up needing surgery or you can build muscle to "fill" the skin.

I was also told that certain essential oils are great for firming up skin (I need to research this more) but then you mix the oils in lotion or a massage oil and apply daily and it can help.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    I second that. You just have to be patient. It probably will tighten up over time, but probably slower than your weight loss.

You have lost a lot of weight, what is your experience? If you don't mind me asking
    I am afaird that as I lose weight, my stomach skin will sag. My workout consists of cardio and abs daily and circuit training every other day. I also take a body pump class weekly. Will this help me tone my skin?

I don't mind you asking. I have some loose skin, but not much, and over time it seems to tighten up. I am thinking that when I reach my goal I will wait a few months to see how tight it gets again. I think worrying about lose skin when you have not yet reached your goal is putting the cart before the horse. If you are young your skin is still very elastic. Strength training will help as you go and when you get there, but the best thing is time.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,281 Member
    Options
    In addition to exercise, it’s important to lose the weight gradually. So make sure you are not losing more than 2 pounds a week. I have also read several success stories with people who have lost 100 pounds or more and many used the strategy of self-imposed plateaus (going to maintenance calories for a few weeks, every 3 months). This gives your skin some breaks from the constant weight reduction and a chance to catch up.
    Yes! The Biggest Loser makes us all think we have to lose too much weight too fast. I haven't had self imposed plateaus but I have had one and I found I kept slimming even though I wasn't losing pounds. In fact I feel like it wasn't until my plateau that some of the weight loss was more evident. If someone has already lost too fast then they shouldn't give up just give it some more time. If you are starting out take it slow if you have alot to lose. The other benefit is keeping weight off and a plateau gives you practice at maintaining as well. However exercise is key. Some people find they can lose without exercising but then later they complain about lose skin.