Healthy snacks at the movie theater?

Options
Ok, so my boyfriend and I are going to the theater tomorrow to see Hop, and everytime we go, he gets the large popcorn, large diet coke, and small bag of candy (rolo, kit kat, coffee crisp, or smarties), and since I don't like movie theater popcorn I normally end up eating all his candy. I am bringing a water bottle to keep me from drinking his pop, but what kind of health (and craving-satisfying, and tasty) snacks can I bring? I tried to bring a veggie tray once, but it was noisy, and i still ate his candy lol.

Any ideas on healthy movie snacks? (I prefer sweet to salty and I really like sour things)

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you like sour things hit up a convenience store and grab half a dozen of their sour candies... blue raspberry? sour snakes? whatever, it's a rare occasion no? I take almonds and sometimes just sprinkle some popcorn topping in the bag of them (I have topping at home, not the theatre stuff, they don't need to see me with my own snack... so glad they sell bottled pop there now though, they can't say that my bottle in my hands is from off-site for $1 instead of their $4 bottles :P
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Blazin' buffalo Almonds, Make your own popcorn and take it in your purse! :)
  • kcmac38
    kcmac38 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try eating almonds, better than popcorn and healthy.
  • cherbear7
    cherbear7 Posts: 37
    Options
    What about dried fruits in a ziploc baggie? Mix them up for different flavors, healthy and a sweet fix =)) enjoy the movie!
  • PPHHrr3344kk00wwtt
    Options
    Trail mix with Smarties, You'll get the dried fruit, filling nuts and occasional sweet piece of chocolate! <3
  • ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    Hard candies, like jolly ranchers...they last a long time and have low calories over all :)
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Ziplock baggies are your best friend! cut up some fruit & even some veggies and take em with you. You could also try bringing a snack bag of pretzels or something like special K crisps or the like. Even 2-3 100 cal packs of something would probably be less then what you'd consume eating candy and soda.
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options
    I agree with the dried fruit comment. And apple slices don't make too much noise. Also, you could just try eating a filling meal right before so you're not hungry!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    trail mix is good i like the one with craisins...or 100 hostess pack...or make ur own popcorn!
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    sugar free hard candies.. hard candy over other types of candy will last u longer and are generally lower in calories. fat free red licorice is a fairly safe choice as long as you dont over-do it and eat the whole bag! 100 calorie packs you can bring in ur purse or any kind of pre-portioned snack u make urself will keep u in check. if u do get popcorn, just get a smaller size and maybe ask if they can hold the butter or just a lil bit, not much and let your bf/ husband eat a majority of it! lol and just grab a small, decent amt and put on a napkin & just enjoy!
  • lcamero2
    lcamero2 Posts: 52
    Options
    Great idea!!!!! Thanks
  • Sweetmurry
    Sweetmurry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep I vote on fat free red licorice! yum and good
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eventually stopped going to movies with one of my friends, as part of THEIR movie experience was getting the biggest bucket of popcorn available and eating a handful of it, EVERY time.
    My problem was that BIG bucket of popcorn would have paid for both of us to go to the movies another time, for free on what was spent, but nope every time they went big popcorn, so I just cut out going to the movies with them. We still did other things but movies were out for me with them.