Intimidated about taking a class

Options
I go to the Y and they offer a whole bunch of classes that I'd like to try. I am SO freaking out of shape though that A) I don't think I'll make it through a class - ANY class and B) regardless of whether I do or not it won't be a pretty site. I think that's what's stopping me from even trying it.
Any words of wisdom from used to be newbies at working out?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Get there early and have a quick chat with the instructor beforehand, explaining your position and your worries. They should keep an eye on you, and maybe offer easier options to some of the routines.

And have fun!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Most instructors will tell you what to do if you get tired, like march in place or stay at a step touch. Also see if you can speak with the instructor before class and express your concerns and he/she will tell you how to handle it. Instructors know that not everyone is as the same fitness level and a person is only going to get out of the class what they put into it. Good Luck and go for it!.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    If you're not embarrased to strength train at the gym, don't be embarrased by a class full of women! Try water fitness, it covers you up when you fall over.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    I'm having the same nervousness as you right now, but i stopped and thought last week, i can a) do half a class and burn those calories, and slowly get better or b) do no class and burn none, and never get fitter.

also i can a) worry about other ppl and what they think, and always have to worry about them looking or b) get up, forget those who chose to judge, lose this weight, and when i've reached goal weight, never have to worry like that again.

I'm signing up next week :) good luck, you can do it
  • LauraRhodes0902
    LauraRhodes0902 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Get in there and try it out! I was in your shoes just weeks ago, and now I only go to classes! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them and they are for EVERY fitness level. There are many times when I have to modify what I'm doing so I can rest a little bit, but who cares. Some people look ridiculous because they have no rhythm, but who cares! It's about burning calories and having fun!! Good luck!
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I take water aerobics every thrusday and saturday at my rec center.....now you want to talk about embarassing.....and the instructor is a man....but u know what, i am not there for him or any of the women in my class...i am doing this for me and me alone! Be confident and just strut your stuff in the class like your the only one there. Thats how i make it each and every week. Good luck on your journey! :heart:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think that you owe it to yourself to go and forget about what other people think and think about yourself and only yourself. Get there a little early and talk with the instructor and explain to him/her that this is your first and that you really want to try it. The instructor will appreciate that and may be able to offer you some ideas or hints on how to keep it low.

You definitely want to keep it low no matter what. Modify anything and everything you can throughout the class. Don't try to keep up with all the skinny people---they have been doing it a while.

You are right though....if this is your first time you may not be able to finish, but remember to not let that discourage you because you have to keep going back and in a matter of a week probably you will be able to finish.

YOU CAN DO THIS
    if I were in your class I would be happy to see you in there trying to take care of your health---You'd be surprised that most fit-looking people really don't think about overweight people as mean as we think they do. Everyone is there for the same reason. Put a smile on your face and go for it.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way so I started with an early morning spnning class. Spinning is very "user regulated", meaning you determine how hard you work and no one is going to be paying much attention to you. In addition you're not jumping around so I felt like I blended in more. After that I was able to try other classes. I liked the early morning classes at first because there were less participants. Get there early and talk to the instructor, if you're taking spinning the instructor will need to show you how to set up the bike. I don't really like doing anything other than classes now, the instructors and the other participants really motivate me and it's not as easy for me to cut the workout short as I don't like to be the one leaving early. I do a lot of modification for my fitness level, and that is expected in most classes. Have fun.
  • kat_O
    kat_O Posts: 10
    Options
    I had this same panic when I took my first yoga class. Like...major MAJOR anxiety. And, it turned out to be one of my favorite things in the world. I just pushed myself and went to the class. If you're really feeling nervous about taking a class, I think there are three choices.

A) Suck it up and go- what is the WORST that could happen?? You can always excuse yourself and hit the road if you're hating it and try something different the next time. B) You could do fitness videos @ home-( lovingggg the 30Day shred!!!!) or C) You could skip it altogether and miss out.

Maybe plan to be at the gym and casually approach the teacher after the class you want to go to is letting out one day and tell her you'd love to do the class but you're nervous about it. Ask what you can expect and if she thinks it'll be a good fit for you as a first timer and if there are modifications that you can do for the moves during class if you're having trouble keeping up. There are in yoga, and my teachers routinely show them to me since I'm a curvy girl!!! (And by curvy I mean a size 18 currently).

I think you will find that in any setting, the instructors will want to help you enjoy and do well in their classes. Good luck!!!
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    Ohhh huni, I used to be the same. and now I go to 3 classes a week! Try and go with a friend, so you can laugh together, if none of your friends go to that gym or want to do those classes, try an aqua classes as you are covered up with the water and generally the class is a little slower, but maybe try a fun class like zumba or salsa, we have loads of different shaped women of different ages and sizes and the odd man come along and everyone is smiling and laughing and don't worry about getting the moves right as that comes in time and with practice, just make sure you are marching or walking on the spot when you don't get it. You will see in a class no-one is really bothered about what other people look like as they are too busy concentrating on the instructor and their own workout.
    Xxx
  • lynda167
    lynda167 Posts: 7
    Options
    Take it from someone who used to go to classes about 5 times a week - no one is looking at you. The people in the classes are all there for the same thing - to get a great workout. If you are really self conscious - stand in the back of the room. While you may not have the best view of the instructor - everyone else will not have the best view of you. But seriously - no one is watching you, everyone is watching themselves in the mirror instead - or watching that super fit girl in front!
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As many said, just do it :) I was in the same situation and I got to the classes a bit early, spoke with the instructors so they knew that I was clueless and they helped me along. Now, I am more comfy and go and try anything new and love so much of what I try! And, also, no one is paying attention to you. I get in a zone when I am in class and seriously there could be a war going on next to me and I wouldn't know. LOL!

Good luck, have some fun and after trying a class once, twice, even three times, you will be the PRO!
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another piece of advice, even though this probably goes against EVERYTHING your body and mind are telling you...... get right up front in front of the instructor. You will learn so much better watching him/her than you will following others in the class.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just tried my first class yesterday. I was by far the biggest person in the class & I was extremely aware of my boobs & belly flopping around (Zumba..lots of bouncing & jumping). I think that everyone was so involved in getting their steps down that they most likely didn't notice me. And if they did, then oh-well. They can see how cool I am when I show up again today! And, BTW, it is not just the heavier people who feel silly...the entire back of the class room was filled when I came in 10 minutes early, so those skinny girls are just as self conscious!
  • AJBond
    AJBond Posts: 14
    Options
    I was the EXACT same way you were about 6 weeks ago! Finally, I just came to this conclusion....WHOI CARES what other people think! You are doing this for YOU and the rest of YOUR life! Good instructors always give modified ways of doing all of the exercises...and you will be suprised how many people do them! Also...I was worried that others would make fun...but its been the oppisite...I have gotten a lot of encouragement from others in the classes. Remember...they were once new to the classes too!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When i wanted to get back into playing hockey I knew that I wasn`t in good enough shape also. So I pushed my cardio hard for a couple weeks. 3 weeks of cardio 4-5 times a week where you push yourself will show a lot of improvement. After those 3 weeks I brought my stamina back up to respectable level as opposed to gassed out in 10 minutes; then I felt confident going back onto the ice.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,

everybody who starts a new class has these thoughts!
    Nobody was born fit and "know-it-all"!

One thing I always did when attending classes: once you're out of breath, or really too tired to do one more step, or it's just too complicated, step aside, take your bottle of water and drink! This gives you a moment to breathe, to rest, and to watch.

I admit, I was drinking A LOT at the beginning ;-)

Btw, this is best done when you have one neighbour only, and are not surrounded by people. Step aside, so that you don't hinder anybody next to you.

MM
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to get the class list and see what's available - start slow and definitely talk with the instructor. I think I'd like to try spinning - it's in the dark! LOL
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Final thought: think how many of the 'skinny' people there have been through weight loss themselves, and know what it's all about already, and are currently in maintenance. I doubt everyone there will have gone to a fitness class if they didn't need it in the first place.
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I go the the Y and I agree with the posts about talking with the instructor first.....
    But remember, everyone has been in your shoes too.....
    The Y's philosophy is all about support and love!!!!
    think of this an an opportunity to show yourself WHAT YOU ARE MADE OF!!!! and in a while when you see that shy apprehensive person just starting their first class, you can be the person that helped her/him.......
    GOod Luck and Let us know how it goes.........