Walking and Jogging

Options
Okay soo.. when I go to put in my minutes from the treadmill on here in the exercise log, there isnt a 4.0 or 4.5mph for jogging - the jogging starts at 5.0mph. I dont know about anyone else, maybe you guys can help me- but I start lightly jogging at 4.0mph. I dont know if this bc I am short or what (Im 5'2 and maybe 5'3 on a good day). I am at a decent jog at 4.5 mph. I mean seriously, my heart rate gets and stays in the high 170s and hits 180s sometimes while Im at 4.5mph. I am for sure burning more calories while I jog at 4.0 and 4.5 mphs than I would burn if I was "briskly walking" at 4.0-4.5mphs right?? And if so, how can I tell how many more? Is there anyway or do I just use the generalized amount of calories burned on this website exercise log?

Replies

• katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Okay soo.. when I go to put in my minutes from the treadmill on here in the exercise log, there isnt a 4.0 or 4.5mph for jogging - the jogging starts at 5.0mph. I dont know about anyone else, maybe you guys can help me- but I start lightly jogging at 4.0mph. I dont know if this bc I am short or what (Im 5'2 and maybe 5'3 on a good day). I am at a decent jog at 4.5 mph. I mean seriously, my heart rate gets and stays in the high 170s and hits 180s sometimes while Im at 4.5mph. I am for sure burning more calories while I jog at 4.0 and 4.5 mphs than I would burn if I was "briskly walking" at 4.0-4.5mphs right?? And if so, how can I tell how many more? Is there anyway or do I just use the generalized amount of calories burned on this website exercise log?
  • cnolovechild
    cnolovechild Posts: 179
    Options
    I'm like you I have to start jogging around the 4.0 mark....I always enter it in as jogging if that is what I'm doing.. I never thought of it as cheating though...I just figured it was because I have shorter legs. I'm 5ft 4
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yes you re definitely burning more calories, mostly because jogging as opposed to brisk walking implements many more muscles in your legs, BUT it also implements more momentum, making a difference in the numbers as well.

the only true way to tell is to get an HRM, but I am with you, I am short, and a 'jog' gets my heart rate up to its max! I think my heart would explode if i tried to RUN...

I think for now, the generalized 'jogging' category should work for you, bc you are definitely burning more than if you were just walking without any gravity behind you.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    4.0 and 4.5mph are listed under walking.....

Everyone's stride is different.....you can also enter a mile/min if you know that......

:flowerforyou: