Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

McDonald's Chicken Nuggets & Silly Putty ? What do they hav

nisijam5
nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
Chicken nuggets sold in U.S. branches of McDonald’s contain a chemical used in Silly Putty.

‘McNuggets’ sold to American fast food lovers contain dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent used in Silly Putty.

They also have more calories and fat than those sold in the chain’s British restaurants, according to a CNN study.

Four American McNuggets total 190 calories, 12 grams of fat and two grams of saturated fat. The equivalent portion in Britain clocks in at 170 calories, nine grams of fat and one gram of saturated fat.

U.S. McNuggets also contain a petrol-based chemical called tertiary butylhydroquinone (tBHQ) as well as dimethylpolysiloxane. British McNuggets contain neither.

A spokeswoman for McDonald’s put the transatlantic differences down to the local methods of food preparation.

Lisa McComb, McDonald’s global media relations manager, said that in the U.S. McNuggets are coated and then cooked, while in Britain they are cooked and then coated.

The result, she explained, is that British McNuggets absorb less oil and have less fat.

Labeling also plays a part in giving nuggets sold in Britain the appearance of being healthier than those sold in the U.S., she said, as ground celery and pepper are listed on the American packaging as simply ‘spices’.

‘You would find that if you looked at any of our core food items, you’d see little, regional differences,’ she said. ‘We do taste testing of all our food items on an ongoing basis.’

Ms McComb added that dimethylpolysiloxane is used for safety reasons to prevent the oil from foaming.

Marion Nestle, a New York University professor and author of What To Eat, told CNN that tertiary butylhydroquinone and dimethylpolysiloxane in the McNuggets probably pose no health risk to consumers.

Original Posting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1291526/U-S-Chicken-McNuggets-contain-Silly-Putty-chemical-calories-fat-Britain.html#ixzz0u98e6zVt

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    I (used to) love Mcdonald's chicken nuggets, but I think that just fixed it for me ...
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Bleh, and I used to put that inside of me....YIKES!!
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    i think i'm saved....after reading that... i refuse to eat another mcdonalds chicken nugget.. bleh!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Even as an overweight McDonald's loving child I knew something wasn't quite right with those things.

I was always freaked out by the fact that they're all the same shape. Oh, and because the meat was kind of gray :sick:
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Yeah, I'm never drinking any of that Dihydrogen Oxide either. Pure poisen, I tell you!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    lmao!! Why am I not surprised? I haven't eaten McDonald's in years and don't plan to.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    GROSS!! Thanks for sharing, I think..... LOL! :laugh:
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    I have a friend who worked at the Chicken Plant, he said all that chunk formed "meat" is a gray toothpaste, it is injected in a form then cook, grill lines are painted on. I will still eat them, I like Silly Putty.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Even as an overweight McDonald's loving child I knew something wasn't quite right with those things.

I was always freaked out by the fact that they're all the same shape. Oh, and because the meat was kind of gray :sick:

lmao gray?!? AHAHA :laugh:
  • Blek !!!!!! No more mcnugget happy meals for my two when moms busy :s
  • fitkitty1
    fitkitty1 Posts: 56
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I have a friend who worked at the Chicken Plant, he said all that chunk formed "meat" is a gray toothpaste, it is injected in a form then cook, grill lines are painted on. I will still eat them, I like Silly Putty.

Ditto.

If you really want an education, see what they do with the ground meat you buy in the grocery store. It's not all on McDonald's people.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member

Ditto.

If you really want an education, see what they do with the ground meat you buy in the grocery store. It's not all on McDonald's people.

And this is why I'm a picky eater!!!! I won't even eat the chicken in canned soup. Haven't since I was a little kid cause I just don't trust anything like that. I've gotten teased for YEARS countless time for the meat pile next to my bowl of soup. And I also won't eat a frozen meal of any kind if it has meat in it. I'm not a vegetarian by far...just easily grossed out.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member

Ditto.

That's why I try to eat organic as much as possible....oh, and I did eat McDonalds yesterday, burger and fries...so, don't tell me anything about those
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    LOL, thats great. To be honest, I don't know that there has been any studies on why we shouldn't eat silly putty.
    Have you ever picked up a nutritional guide at McDonalds (which I am sure that most American's haven't)... gah, its all
    crap.
  • lschramm
    lschramm Posts: 22 Member
    Yeah, I'm never drinking any of that Dihydrogen Oxide either. Pure poisen, I tell you!

Bah, all this chemical non-sense. I admit it, i do love mcnuggets, and i will continue to eat them. (in moderation, of course)!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member

Ditto.

That's why I try to eat organic as much as possible....oh, and I did eat McDonalds yesterday, burger and fries...so, don't tell me anything about those

Shhh - I won't tell.

There are a lot of differences in the way we eat nowadays. I'm not totally convinced on the exact harm done by them all. I think they do something, just not sure what. That said, eating organic is not usually a bad idea - more to be on the safe side. However, my issue with that turns to how organic is classified. What are the constraints and who checks to make sure that the word organic is being used accurately. I just don't trust the watchdogs so who really knows how organic you really are eating unless you grow and prepare it all yourself.
  • I'm in the uk and stopped eating them years ago when they had an advert saying "now with real chicken!" I was like wtf was I eating before?
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    EWWWWWWWWA! Makes me want to run out and get a 4 pc!.........................NOT!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member

AHHHH! Water.....watch out! :laugh: