Snacks that are filling but low in calories

dnpamorgan
dnpamorgan Posts: 29 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I was just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions? Ever since I started the C25K I feel like I am hungry ALL the time but I want to stay within my calories. I love hummus but that adds up fast. I also like to eat carrots because they curb my cravings but I need some more variety. I'll take any help I can get. Thanks!!

Replies

• I like to mix some mashed kidney or cannellini beans w/ my hummus for extra protein/fiber
    Also Greek yogurt is a great option high in protein, no sugar
    boiled eggs with some cut up veggies
    A piece of ezekiel toast with sliced banana - YUM-O!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Apple and Peanut Butter
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    With the hummus, if you get the little individual cups I find that helps keep it from getting out of control.

Otherwise focus on finding things high in protein and try to eat them slowly- I find cliff/luna bars and greek yogurt are both far more filling if I consciously eat them slowly.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    How about Peanut butter on a rice cake ? I like that every once and awhile if I don't have any apples in the house.....

Also, I mix 1/2 cup of non-fat (0%) plain greek yogurt with a sprinkle (about 1 tsp or to taste) of sugar free cheesecake jello pudding mix..........

It tastes a lot like a real cheesecake :happy:

You can also use sugar free pistashio jello pudding mix or other flavors that you may like :wink:
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    If you like hummus, take three hard boiled eggs, slice them in half, take out the yolk, and fill with a total of 2tbs. hummus. Very filling (but about 120 cal!)

Also, 1/2 of a 6oz Fage total 0% (greek yogurt), some sugar-free syrup (vanilla or raspberry are my favorites) and 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Mixed the syrup and yogurt first, then mix in the Kashi. Less than 100 cal, 13g carbs, 1g fat, 10g protein, and 2g fiber.

Another <100 cal snack is 3 egg whites (51cal) and one Trader Joe's reduced carb whole wheat flour tortilla: 96 cal, 13 carbs (7g fiber,) 2g fat, 15g protein, and no sugar! If you want a chocolate fix, try vita muffins. I get the sugar free variety. 80 cal, 7g fiber, 5g protein, and 1.5 g fat.
  • celery is negative calories (burn more eating it than the celery contains). Apples are good, dark berries are fantastic (contain lots of antioxidants)
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    I LOVE the 100-calorie packs of Emerald almonds. They come in many different flavors (the cocoa ones are chocolaty and delicious) and since they are packed with protein, they stay with you longer than a sugary snack.
  • SUAGAR FREE JELLY WITH A SMALL AMOUNT OF LOW FAT YOGURT OR ICE CREAM.

WE HAVE THIS AT HOME ALL THE TIME AND WE CALL IT OUR LIFE SAVER IT FEELS LIKE YOUR HAVING A TREAT AND FOR 10 CALORIES FOR THE JELLY IT'S GREAT.
  • I'm not sure if you have a iPhone, but I found an app called "The Snack App" by Everyday Health. It gives you snack options for 50, 100, and 200 calories and ways to burn off the calories! It's pretty cool from what I've seen so far (I only downloaded it yesterday).
    Oh, it gives you an option to pick what you are craving, i.e. salty, sweet, crunchy, etc.
This discussion has been closed.