The people who are losing weight are not eating their exerci

Options
Has anyone noticed that the people who are losing consistently losing weight every week are not eating their exercise calories?

Their calorie goals are 1200 and then they also are working out, burning 500 calories and not eating them back.

I don't think I can do that if that's what it takes to lose weight. I upped my calories to 1452 as it is and then I eat my exercise calories back and I still find myself over eating on days. I don't get how these people are not STARVING all the time.

If you do this, please, explain to me why this is working for you! lol.

I'm so fed up that I'm not seeing the numbers on the scale. I went from eating whatever I wanted, and eating like total CRAP to eating healthy (sugar still gets me though, I have a weakness for that stuff) and not losing the weight. I thought it would just be sliding off me.

Thanks for listening to my rant, haha.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    That's not true. I have been losing and I eat my execise calories back.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have not noticed that.. I eat back all mine each day plus I eat 500 over each Friday and I lose weight weekly and consistently. My wife follow along and also loses consistently.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I always eat my exercise calories back. I try not to be more than 100 calories under. I've consistently lost weight and have met my 2nd goal. I would continue to eat them & don't give into the temptation to eat less because you think that will help you lose the weight faster, it will backfire on you in the long run.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that the people who are losing consistently losing weight every week are not eating their exercise calories?

Their calorie goals are 1200 and then they also are working out, burning 500 calories and not eating them back.

Nope...definitely have not noticed that. And if they are, I'm guessing they've been doing it for less than 3 or 4 months. They will lose very well for that time period, then...not so much. At least that's what I'm seeing on here. I'm in it for the long haul and I'm eating most of my exercise calories and losing better than ever.
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It only works for a little while.. I know I was doing that and because my body wasnt getting enough food I was binging all the time and therefore not losing as much per week. The way you're doing it is much better for you! :]
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this site a few days but I have been under my caloric goal each day before any exercise credits and have not eaten back my exercise calories. I spread my meals out, and try to eat more protein and fiber, as they keep you full longer. I have felt some mild hunger, but nothing that I can't stand until my next snack or meal. Drinking a lot of water works for some people, not so much for me. You will just need to try some different things and see what works for you.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I don't think I can do that if that's what it takes to lose weight. I upped my calories to 1452 as it is and then I eat my exercise calories back and I still find myself over eating on days. I don't get how these people are not STARVING all the time.

If you do this, please, explain to me why this is working for you! lol.

I'm so fed up that I'm not seeing the numbers on the scale. I went from eating whatever I wanted, and eating like total CRAP to eating healthy (sugar still gets me though, I have a weakness for that stuff) and not losing the weight. I thought it would just be sliding off me.

Thanks for listening to my rant, haha.

Nope, not true. I've been consistently losing weight (about 2lbs a week) and I eat back most of my exercise calories every time. I don't know where you're seeing that.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories! I'm losing weight.....key is to eat clean! Healty! 6 times a day.....you can do it!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Disagree. I was losing when I ate my exercise calories. Since I have not been exercising, the weight is not coming off...and I'm eating less food.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    not true, I eat mine and I am losing weight <3 keep your head up girl
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My weightloss has been fairly consistant. I am trying for 1/2lb a week and I am averaging just over that (I am so close to my goal that any more than 1/2 lb is not realistic).

I try my best to keep to my net calories. I have noticed that if the net is less than what I should be eating my loss slows down.
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15lbs in a little over a month and I always eat my calories!!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight fast without eating your exercise calories to begin with, but the closer you get to your goal, the more important it is to eat (!!)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've got a target 0f 1280 on the days I exercise (Though I'd not been brilliant in the last 2 weeks) I'll typically exercise and burn between 600 and 800 calories I rarely eat all of these back but I usually eat around half back If I burned 600 cals I would still be hungry If I stuck to my 1280.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do not always eat all my exercise calories back, but I do not eat 1200 either. I had to find what worked for me. I tend to eat around 1300-1500 depending on the day. Sometimes I eat some back, sometimes I don't. I wasn't losing at 1200 cals. My progress is sporadic. I lose a small amount one week and then the next it's bigger. I found that I don't always burn exactly what MFP says I do in a day. I have a bodymedia and sometimes I burn a lot more and sometimes less. I use that to monitor what I should be eating. It's more accurate. Find what works for you, and stick with it. It's usually a matter of adjusting every few weeks for me.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    its usually only the new people that arent eating their cals because they are excited about a new diet plan so its easier to start with. i used to think 1200 was the maximum amount i should be eating not the minimum.

I still set my goal to 1200 but i usually eat about 1400 a day and i havent got any bigger.

These people who arent eating all the calories needed will soon realise they arent doing themselves any favours and will eventually give in to the hunger.

Just keep going. weight loss shouldnt be a rapid thing. :o)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just blogged about this yesterday. It will work for a while, until you have too large of a calorie deficit and you stop losing all together. It only really works for people with lots to lose, once you're closer to a healthy weight, you pretty much need to eat back some of your exercise calories or you'll be stuck in a 3 month plateau like I just got out of.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. Well I don't know then. I tried eating 1200 calories, then I upped it to 1452 and I've still only lost 4 lbs over 2 months. I have a small frame so I know this fat wants to come off.

I also work out 6x a week.

Maybe it's my night time sugar attacks. lol.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely not true. There may be people who do lose, but the vast majority of those people you specified are on the boards in 6 weeks complaining they are stuck.

I've intentionally slowed my loss to around .5/.75lbs per week- When MFP assigns me 1200 calories, I take that as the sign to slow my loss down. Now I eat in the range of my BMR (it's 1360, so I alt weeks, one at 1300, the next at 1400) and eat almost all my exercise cals back and even go over from time to time. I've only gone 1 week without losing anything at all.

So if you are at 1200, bump it up a bit. Try your best to fill your cals with quality food when you can, but don't beat yourself up when you go over or have something that's not "health food". Life is just too short.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only way I was able to drop the weight I wanted was to eat them back. (and set up a small deficit as well) I know everyone is different, but that is what worked for me.