What's wrong with REAL bacon?

Options

Replies

• lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that they love turkey bacon and couldn't tell the difference, so I bought some to try it. Welll they were WRONG. It does not taste, look, or smell like bacon. I don't buy bacon all that often, so I'll stick with the real stuff!
  • zave
    zave Posts: 238
    Options
    Oh my. This thread even smells like bacon. mmmmmmmm...now my house is gonna smell like bacon all day.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I buy the hormel fully cooked bacon at sams club and it is only 70 calories for four slices. You just pop it in the microwave and cook it for about a minute, depending on your preference of crispiness. I think it's awesome and super easy to make. I've also read that turkey bacon has more sodium than real bacon. I've not researched this myself, it's only what I read in a magazine.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Nothing, except I don't eat pork. :laugh: There are brands of turkey bacon that don't taste nor look like what most people think of when they hear turkey bacon (like Oscar Mayer, Butterball, etc.). Esskay makes a great turkey bacon. It's just high in sodium.
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Nothing.
    Long answer: Nothing.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When I make my turkey burgers there is always two slices of hormel bacon on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bacon. Eat all things in moderation.
  • srtjo
    srtjo Posts: 6
    Options
    I like Turkey bacon, but would much rather have the real thing and tend to rotate one week buy turkey one week buy real!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Love turkey bacon. I have eaten it for over 25 years. I microwave it and only use Louis Rich's. My stomach cannot handle to fat in pork bacon.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is one of the many frakenfoods I have no desire to eat. Yes, real bacon from a pig is high in saturated fat. That means it must be eaten in moderation, just like many other delicious foods in this world. I can point to the part of the pig where bacon is cut from. I challenge anyone to find that location on a turkey.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with real bacon... in moderation. It is high in fat, that is the only thing that is really wrong with it. Turkey bacon is a highly processed food and in my opinion that makes it worse for you.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    As a Diabetic with restrictions, you would think I have bad things to say about bacon. Nope! I have 2 pieces a few times a week with my oatmeal or egg beater egg whites. I do however, pick either the center cut bacon (which is more meat and less fat) or the less sodium. I think it's the portion control that gets poeple all out of whack. I mean it's actually better for me to have egg beater egg whites scrambled with bacon then it is to have a cup of cereal. I am trying to limit my carbs to lower my blood glucose numbers.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nothing. In general, it's even better for you than the wanna-bes.

I don't know how old you are, but some of us can recall other vilified foods:

Butter => margarine => oops, butter's healthier
    Eggs => OK, eat whites => OK, eggs are healthy
    Fat => Ooops, fat's OK, just watch the really nasty types, saturated fats and trans fats => Ooops, some naturally-occurring saturated fats are healthy, but trans fats are still bad
    Carbs => Nah, you need carbs to be anywhere near optimal, just watch the junk.

It's a process of science, but it's also marketing and politics. Generally, the real stuff wins.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Used to love the stuff. Now if I try it I feel as if I'm chomping on a salt stick. I still cook/bake with it though because few things give that smoky flavor.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time keeping it lit!

Me too!!!

We go through at least 4 lbs of uncured, fresh bacon per week and back to losing weight right nicely again!!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Used to love the stuff. Now if I try it I feel as if I'm chomping on a salt stick. I still cook/bake with it though because few things give that smoky flavor.

Get uncured bacon. Its fresh meat and delicious and no nitrates.
  • Grokette
    Options
    As a Diabetic with restrictions, you would think I have bad things to say about bacon. Nope! I have 2 pieces a few times a week with my oatmeal or egg beater egg whites. I do however, pick either the center cut bacon (which is more meat and less fat) or the less sodium. I think it's the portion control that gets poeple all out of whack. I mean it's actually better for me to have egg beater egg whites scrambled with bacon then it is to have a cup of cereal. I am trying to limit my carbs to lower my blood glucose numbers.

Actually it would be better as a diabetic to have whole eggs with that bacon. Get rid of the processed egg beater crapola.............
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love bacon, but it is a processed food. Indulge once in a while, don't feel bad about it. I don't consider any food "off limits" but I am learning to make better choices.

Trader Joe's... uncured. But really anything that you cook and add spices to becomes processed. So I just take the good with the bad. I'm processing all of my foods once I get them home anyhow so I just get uncured, no nitrate or nitrite bacon and enjoy it with a couple whole eggs straight from my Grandparent's farm.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Real bacon is AWESOME!! I have it every morning!! I get the center cut Oscar Mayer bacon and you get 3 slices for 70 calories!! Also if you buy the Oscar Mayer ready to serve you get 4 slices for 70 calories!! Whoop whoop

ooooohhh!! I could kiss you!! teehehe
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I disagree. Because of the heart attack I had at 37 I have to watch my cholesterol intake. Thankfully, it's lower now but I also take a medication for it. I do better eating egg whites sanz the yoke. I was eating 2 eggs before but it just sucked up all my fat and cholesterol points and left me lacking later in the day for choices I liked. In the end I alternate between egg white breakfast and oatmeal with fruit.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I will never give up bacon! Never! Yum...