question about water

amberleemoore
amberleemoore Posts: 123 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that you are supposed to be drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day right? But I see many of you on here drinking a lot more. My sister in law is on a diet program and she drinks almost a gallon of water a day. Does that help weight loss by drinking more water? What exactly is the point?

Replies

• Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Water serves many purposes during a diet. It will keep you from having intense food cravings by keeping you feeling fuller, and it will help your organs break down fat. As your diet progresses, water consumption becomes even more important as a way to help your kidneys and liver break down waste products from the elimination of fat and muscle.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Water serves many purposes during a diet. It will keep you from having intense food cravings by keeping you feeling fuller, and it will help your organs break down fat. As your diet progresses, water consumption becomes even more important as a way to help your kidneys and liver break down waste products from the elimination of fat and muscle.

Yep, I totally agree. 8 glasses of water per day is the minimum. And if you exercise, you must drink more that doesn't count toward that minimum. My goal is 8 glasses per day plus an extra glass for every 25 pounds I want to lose, which is 10 glasses total. Then an extra glass or two if I work out.

Really, water flushes toxins from your body like no other beverage!
  • Mzdetermine
    Mzdetermine Posts: 1 Member
    The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. A rule of thumb, 2/3 of body is consists of water, and it is the main component of human body. Did you know that your tissues and organs are mainly made up of water? Here is the %:

Muscle consists of 75% water
    Brain consists of 90% of water
    Bone consists of 22% of water
    Blood consists of 83% water
    The functions of water in human body are vital. The water:

Transport nutrients and oxygen into cells
    Moisturizes the air in lungs
    Helps with metabolism
    Protect our vital organ
    Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
    Regulates body temperature
    Detoxifies
    Protect and moisturizes our joints
    Every cell in your body needs water from head to toe. That is why it is so important to drink enough fluid. Take for example, brain consists of 90% of water, if you do not supply enough water to your body, your brain cannot function well, and you will get headache or migraine. Hence, next time, if you feel fatigue and headache, it may be the sign of dehydration.

Adding to this you should at a minimum consume half of your body weight of water a day. Consuming water allows you to feel much fuller that's why it is recommended to drink at least a glass a water before you eat, that way you will eat less.
  • You should drink an ounce of water for every 2 lbs you weigh!!! Check this site out for more information on water and other things!!

http://www.3-day-diets-central.com/drink-water-to-lose-weight.html
  • vshdst
    vshdst Posts: 6
    Very good...thank you!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    I drink about a gallon a day, usually shooting for more. In addition to all the benefits people mentioned, it helps flush excess water out of your system. If you don't get enough water, your body holds onto the water it has in order to survive. The more consistent you are with drinking a good amount each day, the less water weight you'll carry around. It for sure helps with bloating and that stuff.
This discussion has been closed.