egg salad w/out mayo??

Options
jchecks
jchecks Posts: 133
does anyone make egg salad without mayo?? I am not a huge fan of it and would love to find a healthier option.

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    try egg salad with mustard it tastes yummy and adds a little kick, thats how i eat mine
  • SarahR1984
    SarahR1984 Posts: 212
    Options
    miracle whip light? 20 cals :)
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I make mine with mustard, love it that way. Never use mayo
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it's just there as a binder so make one where its just eggs... or try other binders... cream cheese perhaps? sour cream? Something that will adhere.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For a sandwich filling, I chop a hard boiled egg with a fresh tomato (or 2, depends on size), and maybe some finely chopped scallion (green onion). The juice from inside the tomato is enough to bind the whole lot together without any additional ingredients.
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo. Tastes great!!!
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    if you buy kraft light mayo with olive oil its only 45 cal for a serving
  • josehrivera
    Options
    you can use low fat or fat free mayo add the mustard for taste.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use mustart (about 1-2 tsp) and then one serving of Kraft Miracle Whip Light mayo. I could never eat it w/o mayo....ewww lol
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am a member of the Cult of the Laughing Cow but I love a wedge of the French Onion for egg salad. My kids like it that way too.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    does anyone make egg salad without mayo?? I am not a huge fan of it and would love to find a healthier option.

Lite sour cream is a good alternative with a teenie squeeze of mustard oooooor litehouse Ranch!! Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm:bigsmile:
  • Laelee
    Laelee Posts: 36
    Options
    Whiz up some cottage cheese,it goes really creamy and tastes nice and rich. I used it on a tuna melt the other night and was super happy with the results.
  • jchecks
    Options
    try egg salad with mustard it tastes yummy and adds a little kick, thats how i eat mine
    i LOVE mustard!!! have to say i have never thought of this...defintely going to try! thanks!!
  • jchecks
    Options
    I am a member of the Cult of the Laughing Cow but I love a wedge of the French Onion for egg salad. My kids like it that way too.

this sounds really good too!

thanks for all the great ideas all!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    well i hate egg salad but I know in my tuna I use a non-fat yogurt (nancys plain organic yogurt) in place of the same amount of mayo id normally use.. instead of 45cal for the light mayo per tablespoon, the yogurt is only 7calories for same serving....and im sure much better content wise.
  • redxmasqueen
    Options
    The Clean Eating recipe database online has an egg salad recipe using advocado istead of mayo. Sounds good to me. I plan on trying it.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, or sour cream are all awesome alternatives. I've never liked mayo and never used it. Avocado is also a fab idea :bigsmile: Good luck!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    oops..misread...delete
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yep! I just made this last nite....3 hard boiled egg whites - diced, half an avocado - diced, 2 tsp yellow mustard and a little bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper! Yummo!!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo. Tastes great!!!

That sounds like a good idea.

Keep the creaminess without adding flavors that you never intended.