How often is too often?

Options
2»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week. This week I hopped on the scale midweek though. :embarassed:

When I was maintaining for 20 years, I weighed daily. If it went up more than 3 pounds and stayed there for 2 consecutive days, I made some changes. I think maintenance is a different ballgame.
  • stitchmysmile
    Options
    My wife only lets me weight myself once a week. Same day, same time every week.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I'm happy with that and really don't care what anyone has to say about it (neener neener). :laugh:

My "official" weigh-in is on Thursday morning (the one I keep record of), but I do check daily.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think I look at weigh-ins differently than most people. I weigh most mornings, but I don't obsess over the numbers. It's helpful to me to get an idea for the range of variation of weights I have (up to 2 or even 3 pounds seems normal for me).

I look for the general trend: if over a week, I'm seeing a trend down, that's good. I'm only trying to lose about .5 lbs/week, so I'm not going to see big changes anyway.

I record my weight about once a week, based on the trend. So if my last official weigh-in was 152, and I've seen numbers ranging from 151-152 over the past week, I'll probably record my official weigh-in at 151.5.
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing every Tuesday morning and record my progress on here but I check the scale throughout the week sometimes too.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself the days after I work out (because I hope the scale will budge), so 5x a week in the morning after the bathroom, with no clothes on. It helps keep me in check if I have a high sodium day or high calorie day. I'm like "I don't want to see the scale move too much tomorrow so I better skip the chips!"

When I weigh once a week, it is less motivating for me. Whatever works for you! At first I was weighing 3x a day, but that was my first month here, I was very intrigued by the fluctuations... a little obsessed yes, but I toned that down intentionally.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Daily.

Since my weight fluctuates throughout the week, I think it would be very discouraging if I happened to be up for some reason on my weigh in day. If I weigh daily, I can observe the ebb and flow of my weight fluctuations and look for a downward trend. I think there's too much anticipation with weekly weigh-ins, and too much room for disappointment if it's not what you expected.

That's just me. I don't think there's a right or wrong here, as long as you are realistic and don't freak out when your weight fluctuates upward.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every monday, after I use the bathroom, and do it naked. :) I will only weigh myself once a week, as I used to be very very obsessive and would weigh myself every day and go on crazy low-cal diets if my weight went up.