Attention: People with HRM please help

Options
I am curious. I have not gotten my HRM yet (Its expensive so I am having to save up for it) and I am curious as to what the difference isin what the database on here or the machines like at a gym tell compared to your HRM. If you could helpme out with this then I would appriciate it :o) thanks

Replies

• cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find my own personal treadmill is lower by 100 sometimes more calories and this site is also lower then what my HRM tells me.

I have to put in my weight, height, age and sex into my HRM - i did read someone saying that most gym equipment is pre set for a 150 lb person so of course if that was the case they would not be correctly calculating the calories burned for everyone.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I own a Polar FT7. I notice a pretty big difference from my HRM and the database on MFP. I go with the numbers on my HRM always. MFP seems to overestimate my cals burned.

As far as the machines go, it depends on my intensity. If I'm on the eliptical and going hard, it's within 20 or so cals burned of my HRM. If it's a steady pace, but not hard, the machine over estimates compared to my HRM.

Hope that helps.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I got my HRM from Wal-Mart, a whole $28.00. I wear it when I go to the gym, and normally, when I put my hands on the HRM on the gym equipment, and then check my HRM on my wrist, its usually off by like 3 or 4 numbers, like sometimes my HRM will say my heartrate is like 138, and then when i put my hands on the equipment, it will say like 143...so its not that far off.......
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    I use the data on my equipment...if that equipment takes into consideration for weight and age. If I do not have confidence in what MF data is I go to: http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Activity_Calorie_Calculator.asp and verify. When in doubt I take a lower number. I consider the extra calories burned or extra minutes worked out as "mine" just for me. They seem more special that way...