Low Sodium Sandwhich meat???

Options
I love sandwiches but the sodium in it is killing me! I am always over on my sodium but I dont always have time to cook my own meats for sandwiches and salads. Are there any low sodium sandwhich meats out there? If so where can I get them????

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    bump
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think you can get them from the Deli. I'm not sure.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    oscar meyer carving board meats seems to have less than some of the other lunch meats.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    have you considered quorn sandwich meats?? they're low calorie, decent protein and sodium is about 200mg for 2-3 slices...they taste pretty good too
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I pick up Thin N Trim oven roasted turkey from the deli. It's the lowest I've found on sodium (260mg for 2oz).

I've also found the people who work in the deli to be extremely helpful when I have questions about the nutritional information on deli meats.
  • simply_lovable08
    Options
    AmoreCouture is right.... you can get them from the deli in your local grocery store. They have low sodium brands behind the counter. I am not sure how much they would average in price though.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    In the deli you can get low sodium sandwich meats. I don't think there are any in the refrigerator section- they all have sodium as part of the preservation process.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes turkey and ham....My store just stopped carrying the pre packaged variety but I can still get them at the deli counter here for almost $7lb. :/ Still when in need of a sammy cause we all have those days I buy that :drinker:
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    they are called Healthy ones and i'm in cali and can get them from Ralph's. They are deli cut but way less sodium and fat then other processed lunch meats. :)
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love sandwiches but the sodium in it is killing me! I am always over on my sodium but I dont always have time to cook my own meats for sandwiches and salads. Are there any low sodium sandwhich meats out there? If so where can I get them????

In all fairness, it's probably not the deli meats that are causing the high sodium count. Rather it's the bread. Don't believe me, check out the nutritional info on sites like Subway where they actually show the nutritional info for the bread alone as compared to the whole sandwich. You'll find that the bread alone makes up over 50-60% of the sodium content.

BTW, oven-roasted chicken and turkey are deli meats that are generally low in sodium.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options

In all fairness, it's probably not the deli meats that are causing the high sodium count. Rather it's the bread. Don't believe me, check out the nutritional info on sites like Subway where they actually show the nutritional info for the bread alone as compared to the whole sandwich. You'll find that the bread alone makes up over 50-60% of the sodium content.

BTW, oven-roasted chicken and turkey are deli meats that are generally low in sodium.

I actually did notice the other day and I was surprised! I thought I was doing so good getting whole wheat with flax but holy hell the sodium was aweful. So I will be on the lookout for bread and Sandwhich meat with less sodium. Thanks!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You can get "Lower" sodium meats, but they're still pretty bad. Worst part is, they have ways of preserving foods without using sodium. *sigh*
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I gave up on the deli meats. I cook a largish roast beef or ham, or turkey breast and let it cool. Then I slice it up for sandwiches and put enough in a zip lock bag for 2-3 sandwiches and freeze them. I take them out as I need them, and with only enough in the bags for 2-3 sandwiches I don't get tired of it by the time the baggie is gone. I usually do 1 every few weeks, or when ever I get close to being out of baggies. I have a variety in the freezer to choose from, my guy doesn't like the same thing for lunch for days on end.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I gave up on the deli meats. I cook a largish roast beef or ham, or turkey breast and let it cool. Then I slice it up for sandwiches and put enough in a zip lock bag for 2-3 sandwiches and freeze them. I take them out as I need them, and with only enough in the bags for 2-3 sandwiches I don't get tired of it by the time the baggie is gone. I usually do 1 every few weeks, or when ever I get close to being out of baggies. I have a variety in the freezer to choose from, my guy doesn't like the same thing for lunch for days on end.

how long are they good for in the freezer? i was thinking about doing this but was unsure how long the meats last in the freezer and i need instructions on how to cook it either in crockpot or stove. i love the fat free turkey breast and the ham but the sodium count is rediculous and my husband loves roast beef but i don't know how to cook it.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

how long are they good for in the freezer? i was thinking about doing this but was unsure how long the meats last in the freezer and i need instructions on how to cook it either in crockpot or stove. i love the fat free turkey breast and the ham but the sodium count is rediculous and my husband loves roast beef but i don't know how to cook it.

If you can get 99% of the air out of the bags before freezing, I have had them come out fine up to 2 months later (that's the longest we have left it in the freezer). My trick is to mostly submerge them in a sink of water and squeeze the air out and zip it shut before any water gets in. Make sure you date the bags, a sharpie works ok. I found some great cooking tips using google. I usually roast the meat in the oven, I put the meat on a wire rack inside the baking pan so the meat isn't soaking up the fat while cooking. I also use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is done inside.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I grill about 3-4 chicken breasts (depending on how big) with a little Mrs. Dash or cajun seasoning and keep them in the fridge for the week...delicious!
    You can use them in sanwiches, salads or cut up with a side of fruit or veggies. Opt for the least amount of processing..."extreme lean" beef makes for a nice 170 calorie burger.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

If you can get 99% of the air out of the bags before freezing, I have had them come out fine up to 2 months later (that's the longest we have left it in the freezer). My trick is to mostly submerge them in a sink of water and squeeze the air out and zip it shut before any water gets in. Make sure you date the bags, a sharpie works ok. I found some great cooking tips using google. I usually roast the meat in the oven, I put the meat on a wire rack inside the baking pan so the meat isn't soaking up the fat while cooking. I also use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is done inside.

thank you i'm gonna try that this weekend and see how it goes. it might actually cut my food budget...lol
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You can get "Lower" sodium meats, but they're still pretty bad. Worst part is, they have ways of preserving foods without using sodium. *sigh*

Let me guess...Sodium is proably a dirt cheat preserving process, right? What ever brings them more money...They could care less about the well being of people. Sodium content in food is ridiculous.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy ones honey smoked turkey breast from the deli very low sodium