Red Meat question.

Options
I have been hearing from a number of people that eating red meat is bad for you. I am currently doing a lo-carb/ low glycemic diet.(also diagnosed w/ PCOS:explode: ) I get entirely sick of chicken and fish ALL the time, so Im wondering if red meats are really THAT bad? Any advice, answers, or suggestions would be sooo Helpful!! Thanks!

Replies

• pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    I once worked with a lady who was going through medical school. At one point she assisted with an autopsy. The man ate nothing but red meat. She said after seeing the inside of his body, she never ate red meat again. That was more than 20 years ago.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing from a number of people that eating red meat is bad for you. I am currently doing a lo-carb/ low glycemic diet.(also diagnosed w/ PCOS:explode: ) I get entirely sick of chicken and fish ALL the time, so Im wondering if red meats are really THAT bad? Any advice, answers, or suggestions would be sooo Helpful!! Thanks!

Nothing wrong with red meat at all, check out this web site marksdailyapple.com. Red maet has just about everythinhg you need, protein, fat, all kinds of other goodies, and it taste sooooooo good.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Simply put, yes it is bad. Having said that, humans have existed on it since the dawn of time and well before we became an agricultural soiety. In moderation and choosing nice lean cuts of meat, I say go for it. I, myself, eat tons of flank steak =)
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I eat meat!! I have cut back on my portions of it...just like everything else.....but I don't see why it's that big of a deal!!!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key, and look for leaner cuts. I eat red meat once or twice a week, but mostly I eat fish, tofu and occasionally chicken.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    funny i just asked this xD
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Everything in moderation!! :happy:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have been eating flank steak also, and it seems to be actually HELPING w/ my weightloss! Thats why I was worried...I've heard so many horror stories about low carb diets and the consequences they include. I really have been trying to focous more on eating ZERO processed foods, cooking all from scratch and eating tons of veggies. If I DO eat carbs I make sure they are brown. So brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and so on.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    funny i just asked this xD
    LOL!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a lady who was going through medical school. At one point she assisted with an autopsy. The man ate nothing but red meat. She said after seeing the inside of his body, she never ate red meat again. That was more than 20 years ago.
    I would imagine that if you ate nothing but corn, your insides would also look bad as you would be missing nutrients you need, much like someone who only ate Red Meat. What else must have been wrong with this guy?

Another annecdotal story of a similar nature... I had friend who was doing medical school, she saw an autopsy of a really fat guy. She said the fat looked like bad scrambled eggs, and she has not eaten scrambled eggs since then.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    Myth #3 here http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-truth-behind-5-food-myths.html

In short, there is nothing wrong with red meat in reasonable portions. The example above of a person who only ate red meat doesn't really say anything about the heath of eating red meat because you don't know how much red meat he ate, over eating pretty much anything will cause health problems eventually. Usually what is most important about anything is portion size. Usually for meat of any type it is about 4 ounces. That means the typical steak at a restaurant (8 oz.) which is seen as a single serving, is really two servings. Have some and enjoy the change.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Thankyou all for the fantastic advice so far! I can honestly say I have no problems with portion sizes....Im always under my calorie goal and usually WAY under because of exercise...but I just wanted to know if it was a myth that red meats in your diet was a bad thing...Clearly moderation and sustained exercise/healthy lifestyle is the key.
    I just am so tempted by diets like Atkins where they promise so much weightloss so quickly, but I've tried it and my body felt like it was......I dont know...just Wrong......
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the people who say eat in moderation and you'll be fine. Also, choose to eat only high quality stuff - buy free range, farm raised beef rather than chemical full stuff and you won't be getting the artificial hormones. Also, really good meat is more satisfying so you won't necessarily feel like eating it all the time which balances the costs of eating the expensive stuff.

I have PCOS and I used to be borderline diabetic, but my last two blood screenings have shown that I've reduced my diabetes risk and I eat red meat a little less than once a week. Balanced diet and exercise will work.

The other thing to remember is that red meat can bind up your colon, so make sure you have plenty of fiber at the same time. Keeps everything moving properly and reduces your colon cancer risk.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    I'd go with the people who say eat in moderation and you'll be fine. Also, choose to eat only high quality stuff - buy free range, farm raised beef rather than chemical full stuff and you won't be getting the artificial hormones. Also, really good meat is more satisfying so you won't necessarily feel like eating it all the time which balances the costs of eating the expensive stuff.

I have PCOS and I used to be borderline diabetic, but my last two blood screenings have shown that I've reduced my diabetes risk and I eat red meat a little less than once a week. Balanced diet and exercise will work.

The other thing to remember is that red meat can bind up your colon, so make sure you have plenty of fiber at the same time. Keeps everything moving properly and reduces your colon cancer risk.
    Thanks for the great advice! My fiber is probably the biggest part of my current diet......I've actually come to CRAVE fibrous food choices which is really good for our condition:)