My BMR is 1260

skinnyhopes
skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey.
I'm 5'3" and I weigh 113 pounds right now.
My BMR is 1260 and needed to maintain my weight.
I want to be 100 lbs , but MFP only gives me 1200 cals for the day, but that's only 60 less.
Isn't their supposed to be a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound per week?
What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    But on some days I might go over by 500 or so.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    This is when weight loss is really tough for us petite girls. I would suggest strength and cardio to make up the difference. You will shed some fat with cardio and if you want to be smaller, who cares if you drop a size and stay the same weight right? I am in a similar spot right now and I would say hit the cardio hard, eat really healthily and take measurements instead of weighing in... :)
    good luck!!

***Also your BMR is what you need to maintain your weight if all you do is lay in bed all day, calculate your Harris-Benedict to see what you burn during a normal day before exercise!!
  • Is it healthy for you to lose anymore weight?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    You're on the low end of the normal range right now (awesome!). Getting down to 100 would make you technically underweight. To get there you will have to give up some essential body fat around your organs, which may make you ill, and/or burn some muscle mass which will make you frail and weak. Curious why you would want that?
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Remember, your BMR is what you would burn if you slept 24hrs a day. Any additional activities such as getting out of bed, walking around, etc are helping to create more of a deficit than just the sixty.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    100 lbs at 5'3" fall into the "UNDERWEIGHT" category.

While everyone talks about the risks of being obese, you hear much less about the MUCH MORE SEVER health risks that come with being underweight. (probably because far fewer people fall into the underweight category.)

I'd be very carefully if I were you. 113 is the low end of the healthy range to start with

Embrace your self, don't obsess over this. Eat a healthy diet track to make sure you are getting enough nutrition.
    Be strong and live a life you love. Go run, jump, play, kayak, dance, have fun and make sure you've got the strength to do it all.
    Remember your body has to be functional before ornamental. It is a vehicle that's got to get you through your whole life.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member

While everyone talks about the risks of being obese, you hear much less about the MUCH MORE SEVER health risks that come with being underweight. (probably because far fewer people fall into the underweight category.)

I'd be very carefully if I were you. 113 is the low end of the healthy range to start with

Embrace your self, don't obsess over this. Eat a healthy diet track to make sure you are getting enough nutrition.
    Be strong and live a life you love. Go run, jump, play, kayak, dance, have fun and make sure you've got the strength to do it all.
    Remember your body has to be functional before ornamental. It is a vehicle that's got to get you through your whole life.

Great post, Auntiebabs! I agree.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    You'd have to exercise to give you the defecit you need. I'm like you, already at the low end and I pretty much can't lose any more weight so I just have to focus on toning/working off any chocolate I eat. I tried exercising and burning at least 500 cals a day and not eating back those calories but I stopped losing weight and actually gained back all the weight I lost because I had no fat to burn. Now though, I still do the exercise but I eat back my calories that I work off- so that I actually have fat to burn/tone. It seems to be working pretty well so far and any weight gain is probably from muscle. It's hard at first to see yourself eat 1600 calories! But then when you add in the calories burned from working out you realise how little 1200 actually is. Well to be honest I have my daily net target as 1127 because I have a very small frame and eating 1200 causes me to gain weight but that is just my body type. Try seeing a nutritionist/your doctor for healthy ways to lose weight. Because you're already in the low end of the normal range it will take you a long time to lose this weight so be patient!!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    What makes you think you need to lose weight?
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Perhaps you feel like you need to lose more weight because even though you're at the low end of a healthy weight range, you may have more body fat that you think someone at 113 pounds should have. If I were you I'd focus on losing body fat percent rather than pounds. People can be 100 lbs and have a squishy mid section while others are 120 lbs and have a six pack. It's all in the body fat %.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member

Great post, Auntiebabs! I agree.

Thanks dg :blushing: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.