Nutritionist??

Options
Has anyone had any success with a nutritionist? I lost 20 lbs, but over the summer ( I'm a school teacher) I've gained about 4 back. ARRGGGH!! I've been exercising about 600 -800 minutes a month, but my problem is FOOD...I feel like if I'm ever going to lose 40 lbs that it means I'm going to have to starve myself. I just can't get over the mental hump. I was thinking about getting a nutritionist who could maybe help not only w/ calories, but the mental game of it all. Can't seem to get any good references from the gym I go to. How do I find one that's reputable and not just a random pick from the yellow pages???

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Has anyone had any success with a nutritionist? I lost 20 lbs, but over the summer ( I'm a school teacher) I've gained about 4 back. ARRGGGH!! I've been exercising about 600 -800 minutes a month, but my problem is FOOD...I feel like if I'm ever going to lose 40 lbs that it means I'm going to have to starve myself. I just can't get over the mental hump. I was thinking about getting a nutritionist who could maybe help not only w/ calories, but the mental game of it all. Can't seem to get any good references from the gym I go to. How do I find one that's reputable and not just a random pick from the yellow pages???
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about asking your family practitioner? Often, they know someone reputable. And it may be covered by insurance.
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    Ya asking your primary care physician is great, you can just call the office, you don't even have to go in. But, you can also call the number on the back of your insurance card and they'll be able to give you the name of someone close to your home!
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Are you serious??? Covered some by insurance!!! I'm going to have to do some info. digging on that one. Never even crossed my mind! Thanks....definitely something to see about.
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would advise seeing a dietitian NOT a nutritionist. The dietitian would most likely be covered by your insurance, if your doctor sends you there. A registered dietitian has done at the minimum 4 years of college as well as a residency and is registered with your state board, whereas anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. Therefore, you get more reliable and factual information from the dietitian because they are accountable to the state and dietitian's board for their behavior and advice.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    maybe try angieslist.com?