Advice on OR a good resource for checking out HRM's

Options
I know that there are a lot of heart-rate monitors out there, but I'd REALLY like to get an idea as to which ones are good, and which ones are not.

How much do I want to spend? Not sure yet. I don't need a $175 Bodybugg, but I don't want a $20 Wal-Mart version, either.

What brand(s) should I look at?

I definitely know I need one with a cheststrap. Other than that, I'm pretty clueless.

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Most here will recommend Polar HRMs. I was lucky to get one last year for under 70. If you check around sites (mine was through Sears), you might be able to score a deal.

I was considering getting the Body Media Fit (similar to Body Bugg) until a friend let me know today that their tech support told him to estimate calories for riding a bike or elliptical. That made it pointless for me.

Good luck!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft4..it was pricey, but well worth it, i personally think..depends on what you are willing to spend...best of luck in choosing the right one for you
  • armywife1986
    Options
    I wouldn't go with the Body Bugg just because of that darned monthly fee.

Personally, I love my Polar FT40. I've only had it a few weeks, but I LOVE it. If the price tag is too steep, I'd go with the Polar FT4, which is a reasonable $80-90 on Amazon or similar places online.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    I got my Polar FT7 off Ebay for $80. It was new, not used. They sell for $109 at Sears. You're a runner, so you may want to look at one this some GPS capabilities.
  • amybear27
    amybear27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT7 and I LOVE it! It does a bit more than the FT4 and lower, but I didn't need something anymore advanced than that. I got it at a Sporting Goods store nearby. The regular price was $110, but I had some cashback reward points to use and scored a decent deal. Best wishes making your decision :-)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of suggestions about which HRM to get other than what's already been said, but here's a handy site for price comparisons once you do decide what you want:
    http://www.google.com/products
  • foleykm22
    foleykm22 Posts: 32
    Options
    I definitely need one too..I cant figure out which one to get. My sister has a cheap one and we were snowboarding and it just turned off in the middle and she had to start it over....