Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hit me with the Beans!!!!!!!

Anyone know any good ideas for making something with kidney beans or black beans. I love hummus for gabanzo beans, but i wanna eat some dishes with kidney and black beans. I'm changing to a vegetarian come june 1st and so i need to find a new source of protein. Any help?

Mike

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    midnight brownies are made with black beans and they are delish.

Midnight Brownies

Number of servings 16 (that's why I'm still eating on them. you keep these in the frig after you make them. do not reheat!)

1 can Great Value - Canned Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    12 tbls Madhava - Agave Nectar Light - Part for FROSTING
    1/2 c Gold Medal - All Natural Whole Wheat Flour
    8 sqs Hershey's - Special Dark - Mildly Sweet Chocolate - Part for FROSTING
    4 tbsp Hershey's - Cocoa Natural Unsweetened
    1/2 c Great Value - Original Liquid Eggs
    1 tsp Baking Powder - Clabber Girl Mk
    4 tbsp McCormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract - part for FROSTING
    6 oz Great Value - Cream Cheese Fat Free - FROSTING

Total: cal 2087, carbs 390, fat 36, Protein 78, sugar 246, Fiber 56
    Per Serving: cal 130, carbs 24, fat 2, protein 5, sugar 15, fiber 4

directions:

preheat oven to 350 degrees. lightly spray an 8 X 8 baking dish with nonstick butter flavor cooking spray. In a food processor, mix all ingredients except for:

6 sqs chocolate (melted)

Chop on high, until smooth. Clean off sides and blend for another 20 seconds. Add the 6 blks of melted chocolate and blend another 45 to 60 seconds. Spread into the 8 X 8 baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for about 1 hour at room temperature.

FROSTING

6 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
    1/4 c agave syrup
    2 tbsp vanilla extract
    2 sqs chocolate (melted)

Whisk with an electric beater all ingredients for frosting together until light and fluffy. Spread evenly over the top of the cooled brownies. Place covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Cut into 4 across on both sides of dish and it will make 16 servings. Serve and enjoy.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    There's a Mexican slow cooker lasagna that someone posted in the recipe section that I tried. It's amazing. My BF's not vegetarian and he loved it. I have tons of different recipes for beans, if you want to try different types. Let me know. :) I'm happy to share
  • Kforest0714
    Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
    So glad you asked...lol. I made a quick throw together dish last night.
    One can black beans,one can rotel,minced garlic...put all in a pot and simmer...its spicy but taste so good. I take half a cup and put it over baked tositos scoops and then put two tablespoons of the tostitos cheese queso just to give it a cheese flavor and eat it that way. Might sound weird but trust me so good. Also some times I add a scoop of ff sour cream or some pace salsa on top. If to spicy just use half the rotel...oh and it taste even better the second day.

My favorite food is the bean...all kinds
  • Black beans are my favorites! Here are some things I like to do with them:

Mash and mix a can with enough brown rice to keep it all stuck together. Add sauteed onion and whatever spices you like, form into balls, and brown in a pan. A cross between a burger and refried beans - doesn't look pretty but tastes great.

I also like to slightly mash them and use them as filling between two tortillas with some reduced fat cheese.

Also great in soups, or lightly seasoned and tossed into salads. In my junky food days I've been known to throw some beans in a bowl melt a slice of cheese over it - you could do this with a low calorie cheese for a nice protein and calcium boost.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    My BF and I make these amazing southwest eggrolls. Ours have hamburger in them, but I'm sure they'd be just as amazing with the meat left out... message me if you want the recipe! :)
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    I eat a lot of red bean or black beans and rice. I make my own cilantro rice (puree 1/4 raw white onion, 1/2 cup cilantro, roasted poblano pepper or a can of it, 1/2 jalepeno) add to rice and cook in water (2:1 ratio).

I also just started using dried beans in an electric pressure cooker instead of canned and OMG what an amazing difference! I saute diced onions first, then add a bit of cumin, chili powder, a jalapeno chopped if I want some spice, the dried beans, and either water or half chicken stock and water and a bay leaf. Cook for 28 minutes in the pressure cooker and YUMMMMMY

Leftovers from the pressure cooker with the cooking liquid make a great soup too - just add cooked veggies to it.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    I love making veggie chilli with lots of kidney beans in it.

fry up some onions and garlic in olive oil, add chopped red pepper and chopped yellow pepper, spices (chilli, cumin and paprika) then add a tin of tomatoes, some tomato puree, a drained/rinsed tin of kidney beans and a tsp of sugar. Simmer for about 20/30 mins.
    I love it with rice, low fat greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) and a bit of cheese.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Easy Salsa

1 can each: black beans, sweet corn, black-eyed peas, white hominy
    any or all of the following: chopped tomatoes, red onion, green onion, cilantro, peppers
    Italian dressing (can use lite)

Drain and rinse all canned ingredients, put into a large bowl and add chopped ingredients. Pour over about a cup of dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate 2-4 hours, stirring occasionally. You can add more dressing if it is too dry (the beans soak up a lot). Serve with baked tortilla chips, and this is great over fish.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    I throw beans into everything. Breakfast burritos with black beans, pasta with kidney beans, bean salad, I throw them into salads, I puree them and add them to soups and casseroles, etc. The possibilities are nearly endless. Try other types too, like navy beans and cannellini beans for a different taste and texture.

One of my favorite snacks/light lunches:

1 bagel thin, whole wheat.
    1/2 c white beans, smushed
    1/2 ripe avocado, smushed
    1/4 c fresh cilantro, rough chop
    1 small roma tomato
    salt and pepper to taste

Smush the beans and the avocado together with the salt and pepper, gently stir in cilantro. Toast the bagel thin, top with the avocado mixture. Slice the tomato and put the slices on top of the avocado mixture. Enjoy!