Listen to my body or look at the number?

Options
Do I always want to go by the numbers?

For example: if I workout and am extra hungry and go over by 50-100 calories, or am less hungry and go under by 100-200 calories, but over the course of a week or so I'm about on target is that healthy? I've always taught my children to listen to their stomach and stop when they are comfortable. Sometimes I become very hungry, other times not hungry at all. It usually varies by day. So what do I do? Eat when I'm not hungry. I will stay awake all night if I'm hungry so I will eat something (from experience). I plan calories into my day for a small late snack. (Yes, I drink enough. I live in the desert so I'm a water water water person.)

What do you do?

Thanks.

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Do I always want to go by the numbers?

For example: if I workout and am extra hungry and go over by 50-100 calories, or am less hungry and go under by 100-200 calories, but over the course of a week or so I'm about on target is that healthy? I've always taught my children to listen to their stomach and stop when they are comfortable. Sometimes I become very hungry, other times not hungry at all. It usually varies by day. So what do I do? Eat when I'm not hungry. I will stay awake all night if I'm hungry so I will eat something (from experience). I plan calories into my day for a small late snack. (Yes, I drink enough. I live in the desert so I'm a water water water person.)

What do you do?

Thanks.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I believe that that is okay because you are averaging the appropriate number of calories.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think that is fine and in fact a good practice for learning how to properly eat. I wish this sight had a way to "bank" calories so when you had an event coming up you could eat 50 or 100 calories light for a few days before.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I also think it is okay to listen to your body but I am glad that this site does NOT have a way to bank calories. For me, anyway, I have to be relatively rigid or I just slip right back to the behaviors that contributed to where I am now. So, I appreciate thinking of it as a daily commitment. On those "special" occasions, I try to adjust for that day by modifying other meals or really ramping up the exercise. Since I am trying so hard to think of this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet, I find I need to really adjust my "old" thinking . . .
  • caradaniella
    Options
    Yeah, I think the hardest part is dealing with those "special events". If you let yourself go to celebrate, it's easy to stay off track for days - and that's where the damage gets done.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you can listen to your body like that and you're not finding yourself in a calorie deficit TOO many times in a week then that's great!! This is all an estimation and there's no way to tell EXACTLY what your personal caloric needs are without actual tests. Also, the body varies day to day based on factors beyond just exercise. It makes sense that some days are hungrier days than others and if you can honour that without taking advantage then that's fabulous!!
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think thats good beause you will be eating diferent food those days I know I am way fuller on days I have more bread carbs then days I go under in my carbs no matter what my calories are. I think your body is telling you its fine, you are not going do far under that you are putting your body into starvatuion mode and like you said it all averages out.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Thanks!