Do you guys give yourself a day off?

Options
Mangoaddict
Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
Exercise and Food? Meaning, take a break or is everyday the same in terms of staying on the plan.

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Options
    Exercise and Food? Meaning, take a break or is everyday the same in terms of staying on the plan.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    depends on my week and my mood, everyday is a fight and I am just luck if I follow through. I try not to give my self planned breaks unless I know their is an event, like for our engagement party i told my sel that whole week I can eat anything I want, of course that day got there and I was so stressed about making sure I said high to everyone that I was at like 600 calories for the whole day when i got home that night.
    Anyways as far as exersize gose I dod not have a rutine yet, I just try to get in there every evening after work and atleast once over the weekend.
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    No for food (but then again some days it's hard for me to eat all my calories) but yes for exercise because otherwise I get burned out.
  • snow7kids
    snow7kids Posts: 25
    Options
    I am a lifelong dieter...my current approach is slow and steady wins the race. I don't want to give myself a day off from tracking my calories (and NOT going over) because I fear it would just make me continue to overeat the next day and the next.
    My exercise schedule doesn't change. It's m-f for one hour, with friends. Because we do it together first thing in the morning, it gets done. We all agree that if another person wasn't waiting for us, it wouldn't happen. We've been doing it 10 months now.
    I like the structure of the weekday and find it easier to handle than the weekend....for me, structure and somewhat of a daily schedule works. I can't just depend on what I 'feel' like doing.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I do try to give myself atleast 1 day off from structured exercise... but try to do things to make up for it that day like walk to the mailbox... give the dog a long walk... etc.

As for food.. I only give myself a "break" if there is a special event where I cannot necessarily plan my meal ahead of time... also I give myself a little treat at the end of the week... like a cup of Ice Dream from Chik-fil-A (250 calories) for a job well done all week long! :)
  • mecm16
    mecm16 Posts: 13
    Options
    In terms of food, I don't give myself a whole day off per say, but I do allow myself one planned cheat meal a week (so on that day there is a chance I do go over on calories). I've read that this can be good for your metabolism (as well as psychologically beneficial).

There are, of course, a couple stipulations. I've been eating really healthy the rest of the week (my daily calories rarely consist of any type of junk food even if it's budgeted into my daily allowance) - so the rest of the week is super healthy foods (This is probably why I need a cheat once in a while). Also, the cheat meal should be planned in advance. This is crucial so that you don't cheat on just anything (and it keeps you motivated!). The rest of the week - and the rest of the day even - is all by the books though.

My trainer advised me to do this, and I read about it in Men's Health magazine. Seems like a decent compromise to me!
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ugh.. here i was thinking i would take a day off, and you just had to ask that question! :grumble:

so i decided to check and see if it was too late to "rescue" my day.. sure enough, it's not too late. strange how your eating habits and cravings change once you've made a change and stuck to it for a while (and for me, that's not even two full weeks yet!).

thanks for rescuing my day :):flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My problem is once I give myself permission to 'go wild ' this one day....it turns into 2 weeks. We didnt get to where we are because we have made good choices in the past.

I am trying (this time) to look at this as a healthy change in my eating habits. I find the cheeseburger I make at home with LF beef and LF cheese and a whole grain roll is more satisfying than that fake micky dees cheeseburger. Also I think there is something, maybe the sodium, that makes me continue to eat-and eat-and eat after a fast food meal. One night I was up until 2 am eating! I go to bed at 9pm normally.

Anyway, we have to make our choice-then live with them.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    When AF rolls in to town, there's noooo stopping my eating for a day or so. I just TRY really hard to at least get some exercise in there while I'm eating myself silly. AND I try not to eat totally bad food those days...I just eat a lot more than I'm supossed to lol
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I take one full day off a week from exercise. My trainer tells me you need to take at least 1 day off a week to give your body some time to rest.

As for eating, I usually do only 1 cheat meal, not day, a week. And even then I try not to go overboard- LOL.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I take one full day off a week from exercise. My trainer tells me you need to take at least 1 day off a week to give your body some time to rest.

As for eating, I usually do only 1 cheat meal, not day, a week. And even then I try not to go overboard- LOL.

Thats exactly how I've been doing it, too.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I always take Sunday off from exercising. I didn't go to the gym today like I usually do, but I had put in 6 hours already this week, which is what I usually do including Saturday. Food-wise, Tuesday is one of my Zumba days at the gym, which burns a lot of calories, so I let myself "splurge" by getting something from Taco Bell on that day. But it's planned, and if I don't get it then, I don't go another day. My family also goes out a couple times a week, but I try to eat pretty healthy. And I always journal, no matter what I've eaten so that I can't pretend it didn't happen.
  • thegillio
    thegillio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I get 2 days off. Wed (date night with my husband) and Sunday. This is for exercise only. I have lost 21 lbs since 3/31 So it is working for me only 5 more lbs. then i have to figure out the maintenance thing. This web site has really worked for me!
  • eriquita
    eriquita Posts: 69
    Options
    I do take one day off from exercise and also with food. Once a week I get something that I love but only one meal, I don't mess up the whole day

75038.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    lots of replys.. to this one.. but yeah.. i do give my self a day off.. im still food consious though.. and i excersise.. but i eat the sweets.. and stuff... salads.. and such... buttt.. its hard the next day .. i have to force myself back
  • Zen123
    Zen123 Posts: 29
    Options
    I had to go out to eat today......:cry: .

Never going to lose weight this way.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    That one meal you guys "cheat", do u eat whatever and ignore all the calories?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I always take a break from exercise on Sunday. But I don't do a true "break" from my food--I might have a little more of something healthy though--like 2 yogurts in day instead of 1 or an extra big banana smoothie!
  • celverdi
    celverdi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't actually give myself a day off, but I do have days that I just can't eat as healthy as I would like. I eat any kind of food I want, I just make sure to portion my foods correctly. Then there are the days I just NEED something sweet. On those days I try to exercise the extra calories away. All this said and done, there are still those days that I want to kick myself for having a laps in willpower. The whole point is, even if you have a bad day, there is always tomorrow. Just don't give up no matter what, and the weight will come off.

17569.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When AF rolls in to town, there's noooo stopping my eating for a day or so. I just TRY really hard to at least get some exercise in there while I'm eating myself silly. AND I try not to eat totally bad food those days...I just eat a lot more than I'm supossed to lol

As a person who almost ate everything in the kitchen a few days ago for this reason, I understand.