Higher protein on the days I work out ?

Options
Hello,

Besides trying to lose weight, I'm also trying to tone and build my body . I work out ( cardio) every other day. I just purchased Kettlebells to use as strength bulding on the days i dont go to the gym. Should I increase my protein on the days days that i go to the gym? I know protein helps bulid muscles and muscles burn fat... advise ?:wink:

Replies

• cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That depends on how much protein you're getting at the moment, among a few other variables. Maybe you could tell us on average how much protein you eat each day, or open your diary to public view? I don't think you'd need to increase it specifically on non-gym days, but perhaps you could do with more protein generally.

As a brief overview, when we do weight training what we are essentially doing is creating tiny micro-tears in the muscles, which then need to be repaired and renewed. Protein gives us the essential building blocks to do just that and so is extremely important when you're trying to build muscle, increase strength and tone up.

Hope thats helpful
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    yes within a half hour post workout, drink it if you got it!
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I always seem to be short on the protein.. I opened my diary to public view... I just purchased some protein bars Pure Protein they have 23g of protein .. i will begin eating them daily
  • Diana061
    Options
    thank you yes it is...:wink:
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Protein should be consumed every day, whether your workouts are strictly cardio, weight training or both. While protein is absolutely necessary after weight training, your muscles take DAYS to fully repair and recover- this is why it is suggested you give a muscle group at least 48 hours rest between workouts. Taking in the same amount of protein daily will ensure that your muscles get the amino acids they need to fully recover and grow before the next time you work them out.
  • Diana061
    Options
    Thank you ,,,well said...
  • undercurrent
    Options
    I wish I could eat protein bars - I just can't! lol

I used to drink Muscle Milk which had a huge amount of protein in it per recommended serving and I hardly ever used to be sore the next day from a workout (or the soreness wasn't as bad as it would've been if I didn't take the Muscle Milk). So, upping your protein intake is really important not only for building and sculpting your body the way you want it but by making the following workout more tolerable.

:)