New Scale recommendations please

Options
I have to get a new scale this weekend. I thought it was just the batteries, but no replacing the batteries didn't fix the old one. Anyone have any thoughts on what type to get? Do you think that the body fat percentage option is accurate and/or worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Replies

• littleken
    Options
    We bought the WW scale (the glass plate one) and I fail to get two readings in a row which are the same. It's a mystery. I'd be willing to go back to the old spring type scales before I'd buy another one like this.
  • SivirSarah
    Options
    i got a taylor from target. Just bought it but it seems to be working really well and acuratley
  • Alyosha22
    Alyosha22 Posts: 15
    Options
    I had a nice (but old, spring technology) scale made by Tanita. It would vary in weight as much as 6 pounds depending on where I stood on the scale and how I had my weight over my feet. Forget that!
    So I bought (through amazon) an Eat Smart Precision Plus digital scale (model ESBS-05) for around $35. It got great reviews and the customer service for Eat Smart is supposedly the stuff of legend.
    Well....I could not be happier with the scale. It is 100% consistent. I step on the scale and get a reading. Step off & then try it again and it is the exact same number....down to the tenth of a pound! I even tried to weigh myself once, drink a pint of water, then reweigh....and I weighed 1.0 pound more. Doesn't matter if I sneak up on the scale, try to go heavy left side or keep my weight more to my right foot....the scale gets the same number time after time. Very pleased. It is nice, too to get a measurement in the tenths of a pound. Monday I might be 190.4 and Wednesday I might be 189.6. This is close enough to see that I've almost lost a pound in 2 or three days. Without that level of measurement, I'd likely show a 190 for both days and not get the little "attaboy" that comes from seeing the number on the scale creep down incrimentally.
    So it is 100% consistent, that's what I'm most interested in. Same scale @ same time every other morning....that's how I record my weight. But is it 100% accurate (do I really weigh 188 pounds)? It is tough to tell. I have a dumb-bell that is 40# and it reads as 39.9 on my scale. That's pretty good. I weighed about 5# more on this scale compared to an "average" reading on my old spring scale...but I knew that one was weighing light.
    I'd give this scale 5 stars and I would do so even if I'd payed $70 for it. A great piece of equipment. I in no way work for amazon nor for Eat Smart. In fact, I had to go back to my online amzn account to look up the name of the company before I responded to your post.
    You'll be pleased. Read the reviews online and you'll see lots more people with good stories for their scales....and great tales of customer support if their scales weren't 100% right.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I like the Tanita scales. I've got a super expensive one because I'm a numbers junky. But they have affordable ones too. I find their scales are pretty close to the one in my doctor's office.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had a nice (but old, spring technology) scale made by Tanita. It would vary in weight as much as 6 pounds depending on where I stood on the scale and how I had my weight over my feet. Forget that!
    So I bought (through amazon) an Eat Smart Precision Plus digital scale (model ESBS-05) for around $35. It got great reviews and the customer service for Eat Smart is supposedly the stuff of legend.
    Well....I could not be happier with the scale. It is 100% consistent. I step on the scale and get a reading. Step off & then try it again and it is the exact same number....down to the tenth of a pound! I even tried to weigh myself once, drink a pint of water, then reweigh....and I weighed 1.0 pound more. Doesn't matter if I sneak up on the scale, try to go heavy left side or keep my weight more to my right foot....the scale gets the same number time after time. Very pleased. It is nice, too to get a measurement in the tenths of a pound. Monday I might be 190.4 and Wednesday I might be 189.6. This is close enough to see that I've almost lost a pound in 2 or three days. Without that level of measurement, I'd likely show a 190 for both days and not get the little "attaboy" that comes from seeing the number on the scale creep down incrimentally.
    So it is 100% consistent, that's what I'm most interested in. Same scale @ same time every other morning....that's how I record my weight. But is it 100% accurate (do I really weigh 188 pounds)? It is tough to tell. I have a dumb-bell that is 40# and it reads as 39.9 on my scale. That's pretty good. I weighed about 5# more on this scale compared to an "average" reading on my old spring scale...but I knew that one was weighing light.
    I'd give this scale 5 stars and I would do so even if I'd payed $70 for it. A great piece of equipment. I in no way work for amazon nor for Eat Smart. In fact, I had to go back to my online amzn account to look up the name of the company before I responded to your post.
    You'll be pleased. Read the reviews online and you'll see lots more people with good stories for their scales....and great tales of customer support if their scales weren't 100% right.

I have this exact same scale and have found the exact same results: consistent readings! I love it so much, I even bought their kitchen food scale. I had a Taylor scale that stopped giving consistent readings after 3 years. I could step off and then back on and weigh 3 pounds different.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful!:smile: